Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
No Longer Active

Thumbs down Official Google Update Thread - August 2012

Copyright © 2012 Cricket Walker

Past Threads

Feb 08 | Mar 08 | Apr 08 | May 08 | Jun 08 | Jul 08 | Aug 08 | Sep 08 | Oct 08 | Nov 08 | Dec 08 | Jan 09 | Feb 09 | Mar 09 | Apr 09 | May 09 | June 09 | July 09 | August 09 | Sept 09 | Oct 09 | Nov 09| Dec 09 | Jan 10 | Feb 10 | Mar 10 | Apr 10 | May 10 | Jun 10 | July 10 | Aug 10 | Sept 10 | Oct 10 | Nov 10 | Dec 10 | Jan 11 | Feb 11 | Mar 11 | Apr 11 | May 11 | Jun 11 | Jul 11 | Aug 11 | Sept & October 11 | Nov & Dec 11 | Jan 12 | Feb 12 | Mar 12 | Apr 12 | May 12 | June 12 | July 12

Do you have a speculation about when Google will update?
  • Do you think there has been a backlinks update?
  • Do you think there has been a PR update?
  • Are you seeing Google fluctuations?
  • Do you think there has been an algorithm update?
[YT]h3Jup5R1MGY [/YT]

You may want to start with a basic understanding about Google updates before posting in this thread.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/whats-an-update/

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Very happy with the PR update today!

3 month old site: PR0 --> PR7
1 month old site: PR0 --> PR7
6 month old site: PR5 --> PR6

Old 08-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Rest In Peace 1946 – 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kprojects View Post
Very happy with the PR update today!

3 month old site: PR0 --> PR7
1 month old site: PR0 --> PR7
6 month old site: PR5 --> PR6
Firstly, sites do not have PageRank; only individual pages do.

Secondly, since the previous Toolbar PR (TPBR) was on 12 May, a page that is but 1 month old would never have had a TPBR of 0, as the recent TBPR update is the first time that it would have been ranked for TBPR purposes.

Lastly, it stretches credibility to claim that a page might have accrued a sufficiently large number of followed links so as to have attained a Toolbar PR of 7 in 3 months or less.

Would you mind revealing which pages you here speak about?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:42 PM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsand View Post
Firstly, sites do not have PageRank; only individual pages do.

Secondly, since the previous Toolbar PR (TPBR) was on 12 May, a page that is but 1 month old would never have had a TPBR of 0, as the recent TBPR update is the first time that it would have been ranked for TBPR purposes.

Lastly, it stretches credibility to claim that a page might have accrued a sufficiently large number of followed links so as to have attained a Toolbar PR of 7 in 3 months or less.

Would you mind revealing which pages you here speak about?

Old 08-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Google Updates Toolbar PageRank Again

I don't use the toolbar and to be honest, I haven't checked my PR this year at all. Anyways, just read this blog post so I'll share it in here.

Quote:
Google has updated the Google Toolbar PageRank again, for the first time since May. Obviously sites are moving both up and down, but we’re not seeing a ton of complaints so far.

A lot of people are talking about the update on Twitter. Some are more enthusiastic than others. There are a few interesting nuggets out there.

One person thinks freshness is playing a role in higher PageRank. Google has clearly put a great deal of emphasis on freshness in recent months. Fresh content tends to get surfaced much more. Greater visibility means more chances to pick up links.

Here is a sampling of the Twitter conversation...
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/google-upd...-again-2012-08

Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Contributing Member

Deepsand,

Sure.. the 3 month old site is webmaster.cm. The index page is a portal type in which i've been posting original content articles on since I started the site just after the last public pr update. That freshness that snakeair was talking about may be what helped me out... the domain had been registered briefly before it seems which could have helped it.

The 1 month old site is linuxnews.co. I have it heavily integrated into linux.org as its only news source... which probably played a role there..

Of course, I may have just confused google and they'll both go down toPR2 or something in the next public pr update . (although both are moving towards first page serps lately).

Here's an interesting bunch of stats that I grabbed from push2check on the webmaster.cm domain from start up until last week... it shows the gradual increases in various points/fields which might shed some light?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...28zPL_Y9s/edit

btw.. where near philly? I'm in doylestown..

Last edited by kprojects; 08-02-2012 at 11:17 PM.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 AM

Firstly, as for "freshness" of content, such is not an input variable in the PR function, but simply something that might induce others to link to a page.

Next, and before proceeding to the DNs in question, a little background re. Actual PR and Toolbar PR.

Actual PR, value range 0 to 1, is approximately calculated on the fly as new pages and links are discovered, and old pages and links are found to no longer be extant.

Toolbar PR, value range 0 to 10, is updated only after the enter matrix of indexed pages has all Actual PR values re-calculated, and all Actual PR values are normalized so that the grand sum of all equals 1.

As this recalculation is very resource intensive, and it not quickly completed, the update Toolbar PR values actually represent a snapshot of an undisclosed past point in time.

Now, as for linuxnews.co, it is not 1 month old, but dates at least as far back as 28 JUL 2010, as evidenced by a WHOIS search. And, it's been collecting links since 2010, as evidenced by this from Google.

Quote:
www.linuxnews.co/2010/top-linux-firewalls/ - Similar Sites and ...
http://www.xmarks.com/site/www.linux...nux-firewalls/
Xmarks site page for linuxnews www.linuxnews.co/2010/top-linux-firewalls/ with topics, reviews, ratings and comments.
Likewise, webmaster.cm is not 3 months old, but dates back at least as early 13 MAY 2011, as evidenced by WHOIS; additionally, the WaybackMachine shows evidence of it existing as early as 13 OCT 2009. And your spamming of forums around the world, including Asian sites, for this DN began at least as early as 29 Aug 2011, as evidenced by this from Google.

Quote:
Replacement for .mac iWeb
http://www.linuxhostingtalk.com/...p...t-for-mac-iWeb
Aug 29, 2011 – To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Check out Webmaster.cm - New Webmaster Forum!

Old 08-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

With over 13,000 posts I thought you'd be smarter than that - it ends up you just talk a lot

As far as the facts go...

I registered webmaster.cm on May 15th, 2012
I registered linuxnews.co on July 24th, 2012
I registered linuxhostingtalk.com on Mar 20th, 2012
I registered forumdealer.com on Mar 4th, 2012

Replaced an older domain name with the linuxhostingtalk.com one - started building it..
Started forumdealer.com as a separate site - started building it
Changed the domain name of the forumdealer.com site to webmaster.cm in May when I reg'd it

Decided to only use linuxhostingtalk.com to promote webmaster.cm and added the notice/link at the top.. changed my sig on there to also include a link to that and linuxnews.co

Did not tell google webmaster tools that about a change of site address

During this time, I noticed that some tool I ran across showed 2009 as an original creation date for webmaster.cm.. I looked at it on archive.org and saw it was all in asian..

I hadn't looked to see if anyone owned linuxnews.co before I did - but glad they did!

I'd like an apology from you stating that you ASSUMED I "spammed the world including Asian sites" and that you were wrong about that..

You should change your sig to state that while sometimes it sounds like you know what you're talking about, its likely that you're probably spewing false info and trying to call out new users to the forum..

Rob

Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 AM
No Longer Active

Quote:
Of course, I may have just confused google and they'll both go down toPR2 or something in the next public pr update .
smiles... you confused me!

You have the right attitude on this though. Sometimes multiple redirects can cause some unusual PR in the toolbar for a bit until Google sorts it all out.

Quote:
I'd like an apology from you stating that you ASSUMED I "spammed the world including Asian sites" and that you were wrong about that..
Although you weren't responding to me, I would still like to apologize to you.

While my thoughts had not headed the spam direction, I did doubt that a site could go from a PR0 to a PR7 in that short of time without some sort of redirect manipulation or taking over a site with a whole lot of links pointed to it previously. Had you seen those stats from a new member, I have a feeling you would have wondered too.

In any event, I would like to welcome you to the community and hope we can start fresh from here!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Cricket,

No, you were reacting how I would react as a site owner to a new member posting those stats.. I hadn't posted the links/domains originally out of respect for your "no links before 30 posts" policy.

I'm a bit jealous of your google ranking btw for "webmaster forum".. that's what i'm searchin for and hopefully i'll be knocking on your back door soon lol ... That phrase is a tough one to get good serps on!

Deepsand: I can see how you could have jumped on this since I was a new guy w/ no reputation on here - and since we're close to each other we should meet for lunch and see if we can help out each others IRL businesses. Do you do web-related work?

Thanks guys,

Rob

Old 08-03-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
With over 13,000 posts I thought you'd be smarter than that - it ends up you just talk a lot

As far as the facts go...

I registered webmaster.cm on May 15th, 2012
I registered linuxnews.co on July 24th, 2012
I registered linuxhostingtalk.com on Mar 20th, 2012
I registered forumdealer.com on Mar 4th, 2012

Replaced an older domain name with the linuxhostingtalk.com one - started building it..
Started forumdealer.com as a separate site - started building it
Changed the domain name of the forumdealer.com site to webmaster.cm in May when I reg'd it

Decided to only use linuxhostingtalk.com to promote webmaster.cm and added the notice/link at the top.. changed my sig on there to also include a link to that and linuxnews.co

Did not tell google webmaster tools that about a change of site address

During this time, I noticed that some tool I ran across showed 2009 as an original creation date for webmaster.cm.. I looked at it on archive.org and saw it was all in asian..

I hadn't looked to see if anyone owned linuxnews.co before I did - but glad they did!

You should change your sig to state that while sometimes it sounds like you know what you're talking about, its likely that you're probably spewing false info and trying to call out new users to the forum..

Rob
You seem to have missed the point that the DNs in question are not so new as you portrayed, that they have in fact been accumulating IBLs for quite some time.

In re. "spamming," that is an objective description of the posting to hundreds of forums the message "Come on over to my site at ...," an activity that continues even now.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Contributing Member

Which forum?

Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Google mentioned about the over optimization few month ago, so we stopped our promotions. Then our homepage page rank 3 dropped to 2 and the main inner pages page rank dropped from 2 to 1 in the Aug PageRank update.

Old 08-12-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsonmycar View Post
Google mentioned about the over optimization few month ago, so we stopped our promotions. Then our homepage page rank 3 dropped to 2 and the main inner pages page rank dropped from 2 to 1 in the Aug PageRank update.
Not only was mention of "over optimization" not about any current or imminent change to the SERP algorithm, but rather a musing about possible future changes, such is wholly unrelated to the calculation of PageRank, which is solely dependent on counts of links and pages.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Which forum?
Both are older than portrayed.

In re. recent link dropping, some examples:
The salient point here is that neither of the two "new" sites gained so much PR in so little time as first presented, but that both have been accumulating links, much through aggressive efforts, and thus PR for quite some time. That you only recently purchased said DNs is immaterial to such facts.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:58 AM
Banned

Any way i am happy with this update because my website PR increase from 3 to 4.

Old 09-04-2012, 02:20 PM
No Longer Active

http://www.v7n.com/forums/google-for...er-2012-a.html

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread