Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 11-13-2012, 07:24 AM
v7n Mentor

Google results are sometimes laughable, spam ranking ahead of content

A few weeks ago I posted an article on my blog, which was linked to by several other sites. I did not post the links on the other sites, people liked the article so they posted the links. One site copied the entire article, but they included links to the original article on my site.

The article is 1,655 words and contains 4 images.

When I search google for the title of the article, what is the first result? Its a blog at blogspot that links to the article.

The blog at blogspot has something like two sentences and a bunch of amazon banners.

The original article does not appear until something like page 4 or 5 of google.

How can a page that has something like 2 sentences, and a link to the original article out rank the original that has over 1,600 words?

Its stuff like this that makes me question is content is "really" king.

If content was really king, should link pages that contain no content rank ahead of the original article?

Last edited by ~kev~; 11-13-2012 at 07:29 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 PM
v7n Mentor

Well that as issue which I'm most worried about. Low quality blogspot and wordpress blogs outranking the genuine blogs. I hope someone from Google notices it soon.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

I agree fully! I think Google have gone backwards recently with all these updates, they were trying to fix something that aint broke rather than trying to innovate.
I'm also seeing a page of spam before I eventually find my site when I put in the keywords that I used to rank highly for. Although saying that when I did add even more content and played around with keyword % it seemed to help. Unfortunately there doesnt seem to be an answer, google is a mess.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Google is managed by humans but its not human itself.It can be and it is being misled sometimes by blackhat seo techniques.For a big se like google,few bad search results can not be overruled

Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Contributing Member

I have too noticed this things few days back, some sites are ranking several times for the same keyword. It was good few months back, but now I don't have any idea to get visitors to my sites. The only answer I believe post content regularly and get it in first place.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~kev~ View Post
When I search google for the title of the article, what is the first result? Its a blog at blogspot that links to the article.

The blog at blogspot has something like two sentences and a bunch of amazon banners.

The original article does not appear until something like page 4 or 5 of google.

How can a page that has something like 2 sentences, and a link to the original article out rank the original that has over 1,600 words?

Its stuff like this that makes me question is content is "really" king.

If content was really king, should link pages that contain no content rank ahead of the original article?
Yeah, I have some similar issues.

People using the same titles as our articles with poor contents, on word press blogs, on their blogspots, youtube videos, etc ranking above me.

Look, google can't even know who is the articles owner which tells something right there.

You know the real question is: Do google really care of the organic search? They are already said that the paid search provide more relevant results, which make me think that they are going to expend their paid search until the organic search disappear.

Old 11-15-2012, 03:09 AM

This is quite right and i have seen this many times. Google says they are updating algo for G because they want to get rid of spammy websites in SERP's. I literally say that they dont have right tactics to give away laughable results for a keyword in search engine ranking.. They need to find something unique to get rid of useless listings

Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 AM

I thought content is everything but not it seems to be nothing..What to do.. I am really worried..

Old 11-15-2012, 08:50 AM
v7n Mentor

It seems like google search results have gone back to the early 2000s.

Instead of basing results on the quality of the content, its how many links the site has.

I have several articles, in the 1,000+ word range that are ranking behind link sites with no real content.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
I have several articles, in the 1,000+ word range that are ranking behind link sites with no real content.
I do agree on some part, but what you think when we search the price of mobile? do we need to read the whole article that is having more words?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Contributing Member

May I suggest that you issue a DMCA complaint?

Old 11-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

Instead of basing results on the quality of the content, its how many links the site has.

Speaking of Google results that are sometimes laughable, did you record the total links from your WMT everytime they update?

This is astonishing to see that sometimes they wack 5000 links at once and then a month later the links came back, no wonder why rankings are unstable...

Old 11-18-2012, 12:26 PM
v7n Mentor

I don't think the value of links has ever diminished (or been replaced as a major ranking value by on page content alone), it's that people may have misinterpreted the "content is king" frenzy that is going on just now.

The reason that content is king is because quality content will drive readers, shares, referrals and inbound links.

The core algorithm is set to try and reward better written content, but it still needs secondary signals to reinforce that indicator.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcat View Post
The reason that content is king is because quality content will drive readers, shares, referrals and inbound links.

The core algorithm is set to try and reward better written content, but it still needs secondary signals to reinforce that indicator.
Maybe, maybe not. Quality contents driving inbound links are a myth, because first, your contents need to rank well to get exposure, if you don't get this exposure even if you have quality contents nobody will see it or link to it.

I completly disagree with your statement that "The core algorithm is set to try and reward better written content", because it is false.

How many of us have experimented low quality contents or contents made for ads ranking above our own quality contents?

Test it if you would like, make a page full of corporate brand names with little or not contents, and you will be surprise with the results.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

I completely agree with you! and I feel that Google isn't doing a great job of figuring out the bad links either and just seeing links for links. Its very unfair when the people who are playing by the rules are working hard to get genuine links, then to see the people above us in the SERP have 1000's of irrelivent, quite obviously blackhat links. I do hope Google do something about this and soon!

Natural Elements; what do you mean 'Test it if you would like, make a page full of corporate brand names with little or not contents, and you will be surprise with the results.' Are you saying we might as-well stuff our pages with keywords instead of real content? Unfortunatly judging by the recent SERPs for my keywords I may have to agree with you.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissyG View Post
Natural Elements; what do you mean 'Test it if you would like, make a page full of corporate brand names with little or not contents, and you will be surprise with the results.' Are you saying we might as-well stuff our pages with keywords instead of real content? Unfortunatly judging by the recent SERPs for my keywords I may have to agree with you.
What I was trying to say is that Google reward brands whatever the pages contain quality contents or not.

Some Spammers and bloggers use this technique: Steal contents from reputable quality sites (they will use the term of fair use) mix it up with brand names add a little low quality contents and voila!

or

Some bloggers will use brand products with low quality contents, load the pages with ads and they will rank right at the top without question. They are many content link farms made for SEO/ads and they are ranking like top dogs.

My point is all of these guys use the brand names to propulse their sites on the top. They are Spammers, some bloggers, black hat seo, link manipulators, etc... and it is working perfectly on Google.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcat View Post
I don't think the value of links has ever diminished (or been replaced as a major ranking value by on page content alone), it's that people may have misinterpreted the "content is king" frenzy that is going on just now.
True links hold more value now than ever, especially since people have removed links in a panic frenzy. Those who didn't remove links are in a much stronger position now.

Quote:
True also. Well written content converts readers into buyers. Which is what many websites are trying to achieve. It doesn't matter how well you rank if you cannot convert.

Quote:
Just because this sounds good, doesn't mean that it is what is happening. Evidence is to the contrary that the secondary signals are actually the primary signal for ranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Elements View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Quality contents driving inbound links are a myth, because first, your contents need to rank well to get exposure, if you don't get this exposure even if you have quality contents nobody will see it or link to it.
Agree. It's like a car before the ignition has been turned on. The car (content) might be awesome, but until the ignition (initialising links) get that car started it ain't going anywhere.

It's why people in networks do so well. They have "friends" tweeting and pushing traffic to their content from the get-go, so they instantly have momentum. Those initialising links are what get them moving.

Without those networks, those guys need to build links. Whatever works to get that content seen.

But just creating great content? It's a total myth that it will rank well. The fact is that you might be a great writer, but until you can syndicate the content correctly it won't get seen.

Sadly, that also involves competing against your own articles, because people using subdomains on popular blog networks will rank higher automatically.

Quote:
I completly disagree with your statement that "The core algorithm is set to try and reward better written content", because it is false.
But it sounds good I think this is what people WANT the core algorithm to do. It just doesn't.

Quote:
How many of us have experimented low quality contents or contents made for ads ranking above our own quality contents?

Test it if you would like, make a page full of corporate brand names with little or not contents, and you will be surprise with the results.
Brands are big, and that is consistent with the corporate shift of Google to become a brand-builder for companies. i.e. pay us money and watch your brand flourish

Can you blame them? If you were running a global corporation with billions in investment you'd be targeting/attracting big business too. Who *really* cares about the little guy and his great content? Does he make Google money?

Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Can you blame them? If you were running a global corporation with billions in investment you'd be targeting/attracting big business too. Who *really* cares about the little guy and his great content? Does he make Google money?
I don't blame corporations, I blame Google and the others for keep giving false hope for the little guys, because they knew what they were going to do a few years ago, they've got an agenda, they use cryptic guidelines in purpose, basically they betrayed the little guys.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Contributing Member

That is the same problem I have, My site has a very good content but google is strugling to rank it but other sites which I really see and compare there contents to my rank well more than me. This made me to lose interest in adding fresh content and focused to back links. Think google has got a very big problem in that matter.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:12 AM
v7n Mentor

In light of the points made I have to agree that the algorithm doesn't directly reward good content with exposure.

But I still maintain that good content naturally attracts more syndication/shares than poor content (with all other factors being equal). However I understand that there are people manipulating the algo with artificial links / signalling factors to make their content rank higher and gain exposure.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum