Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-24-2006, 11:11 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Page 1 vs Page 2 visitor, who is more willing to buy?

Which is better? Being on the first page of google results or the second or third page?

Assuming you have the right product at a resonable rate to offer. It has been my theory that people going to your website from the second or third search results page are more willing to buy than people visiting your site from the first page of search results.

Page 1 visitors: Competitors, lurkers, just curious, just seeing what you have to offer, etc.

Page 2/3 visitors: People looking for a good offer and willing to invest the time researching what they want. They've probably already visited other sites and have not found what they are looking for or looking for a better price, etc.

For example, I have a webpage for Minneapolis Videography hosted on webdj.com that gets me lots of traffic (4 or 5 a day) and not that many salesI also have one of my own pages (same marketing copy) on page 2 that gets less traffic (1 or 2 a week) but lots more REAL LEADS and a lot more sales from it. BTW, the webdj.com page redirects to my hosted web page/site.

What do you think? It's just a theory and curious on what people think.

Old 07-24-2006, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Page 2+. If you can get them there. It's all about the lure.
laurakishimoto.ca

Old 07-24-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I would say first page results. At least when I search I scan the top 8-10 results. I usually know exactly what I want, and my search terms match the search engine results... Usually there's a lot of unrelated pages after the first page.. so my vote is for the first page results.. top 3 even better.

Only exception would be for underground topics.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Who ends up on Page 2? I know I never do.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:54 AM
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

I do, and going through the Latest Visitors tracking in cpanel I often find people coming from 10th page or further down.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Factor affecting the concept

Wow, loaded question there.

I don’t have any reliable data on ‘conversions’ based on results page, but I do have a ton on Search Result user behavior.

So I consider this ‘relevant’ to your quest, though it doesn’t specifically address it.

‘When internet users that use search engines were asked;

When you perform a search on a search engine and are looking at the results, approximately how many entries do you typically review before you click one?

39% The First Page
23% Only a few entries
19% The first 2 pages
9% The first 3 pages
10% More than 3 pages ‘

The study is more than 80 pages and has breakdowns in many areas and goes onto ‘By Age’ ‘By Gender’ ‘ By profession’ and more.

My point is about the validity the question when we are only getting 19% of the market segment. This is a factor to be considered in any ‘research’ into 2nd page conversion rates…

As always, IMO…….

Dave

Old 07-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnScott
I do, and going through the Latest Visitors tracking in cpanel I often find people coming from 10th page or further down.
My point is even if deeper SERPs convert better, it doesnt mean much when it's such a small portion of the traffic. I think you also have the credibility factor of having the #1 spot.

Old 07-27-2006, 06:25 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Imagine I agree with your browser profiles. There maybe too many variables not considered for research values to be significant to your own products. Much depends on the demographic of the target market (ie how tight people are) and even the cost. If I buy a DVD then I may only scan the first page however if I was looking for expensive high hifi equipment maybe 4/5/6 pages deep (but not if I was rich).

One thing is for sure, the higher the better especially top 3 listing on the front page.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum