Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 04-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Removal Request

Hi All,

So i run a quality UK only business directory, I review all suggested businesses, Do not have to list a web address, Plus has the option to use 'Do' or 'No' follow, I know where i have listed (advertised) my directory and have been very careful about it.

Today i get a listing removal request from a user saying there site had been penalized by Google for been listed within our database.

Now, The very first listing i added was my own personal business and business website that is listed in google webmaster tools, So if this was the case for him, Why have i not got one as well?

Have no messages in / Manual Actions

All the best
Jay

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

First of all, did this person actually do all the research and give it to you that provides it's your directories fault?

Directories do have a bad reputation online because of the old days but people need to know, there are good ones still who take pride in the quality on there directory. Yours looks great in my own opinion. I think this person is not that much of a SEO person and looking for someone to blame for there own stupidly. That one person could of had links elsewhere online that could of been the cause.

If I owned a directory again (I did long time ago), I'd be a dick and ask for legit proof that my directory caused this. Or I'd be even more stupid and look up all my rankings for my keywords and send him screenshots that as of today, my directory not penalized and actually my rankings just improved from last week.

Look, give that person what they want and remove there URL because you don't want this person saying you are a bad person to work with..etc

Last edited by snakeair; 04-05-2016 at 04:13 PM.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

Hi,

No proof from user, No warnings in my google webmaster area, I did do a check on a few sites and nothing, My directory is a business directory, Don't need a website to submit a business, Also has the option for 'NO' or 'DO' follow if they do, All my category pages use 'Nofollow' until businesses are listed in them, It uses a SSL for sensitive areas, The submission rules are very strict, Has goolge site links, Uses adsense.

All the best
Jay

Old 04-06-2016, 07:00 AM

I m not agree with this thought that directories are old days concepts but depends on the quality of directory, we should avoid spamming back links,

@hbd you can research, remove duplicate content and try to make put only valuable listings on your directory.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Yes remove the user's URL, but you don't have to get all defensive about it. Ask politely how they got to conclusion that it was your website that caused the penalty, and if they could send you any information that would help you improve your service.
I bet that the user actually has no idea, and that there is nothing wrong with you directory.
Just don't argue with him and try to prove him wrong, it's pointless!

Old 04-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Contributing Member

Hi All,

If you looked at my business directory, I only approve quality uk business services that have a physical bricks and mortar address along with other info.

I did send a email saying that i doubt it very much that my directory would cause any issues, But removed his customers listing as per his request.

Also thinking about it i think he choose the 'NoFollow' Option anyway, As i mentioned, The very first listing i added and the only one was my own business, That is within google webmaster tools and no warnings there.

I would think, If anything the listing in question was submitted to a or many low quality directories.

Thank you all for your help.
Jay

Old 04-15-2016, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

If you don't delete their URL from your site, they can fill in a google removal request so in both cases he wins.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:33 PM

This is what must have happened:

He just built a spam backlink profile, and built links from a ton of directories - yours being one of them. His site got tanked. He's pissed off, and he put the blame on you.

Do him a favour and remove the link.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum