Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 11-05-2016, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Google Page Speed

I did an experiment where I took one of my websites that was created using webcreator pro 6 which doesn't do very well with the google page speed tool getting scores between 50-60 and deleted it and put up a replacement website coded directly in html and got a score of 100.
So I waited to see just how much the fast page speed would help and the answer was somewhere between zero and not much.
I wonder what experiences other has with this.

I should add that the orginal pages were loading in about 5 seconds and now load in around 2.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2016, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

That's good to know. I am using WordPress and need to work on my speed again. I am making some theme edit's in regards to coding and sometimes that can effect speed in a big way.

Old 11-07-2016, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

It is the best way to know about your website speed by having the own code.

Old 11-07-2016, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

Just save yourself from headaches and get WP Rocket. It's the best speed optimization plugin on the market, and if you don't want to pay for it, then I highly recommend W3 Total Cache (a great alternative), however, WP Rocket is much better imo..

Another thing to consider - Upload your site on a CDN. If you are currently not using a CDN then it is logical why your site needs further optimization. If you need a free one, I would suggest Cloudflare, if you can afford a paid one, then MaxCDN.

Regarding your theme edits, just make sure that you do a good job of eleminating non-relevant CSS and Javascript, and also, do a minification (for all of them)

Hope that helps

Mr.Who

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
That's good to know. I am using WordPress and need to work on my speed again. I am making some theme edit's in regards to coding and sometimes that can effect speed in a big way.

Old 11-09-2016, 12:25 AM
Contributing Member

What are you trying to achieve?

You have to find a balance. A good design + slow speed is not good but at the same time a fast loading page which has a design which is not appealing will not convert for you.

Instead of deleting the whole thing you should have fixed the reasons why your page speed was not up to the mark.

Ps: Did it do your rankings any good?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Same here, I also use Wordpress for my site and still up on working on my site's speed.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:43 AM
Contributing Member

I like to test seo concepts to see what works best so think page speed is only problematic if your page starts taking longer 6-7 seconds to load.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

My two cents for the matter here is that page speed has never helped my SERP progression.

I minified all of my js/css code and compressed every image like Google stressed to me about and it may have updated my score but I haven't seen any benefits from it whatsoever.

Just avoid any video sliders despite how good they look and stick with the good ole' quality content since it's how I've grown personally.

No one will complain to save some data usage and trim some time off their visit to your website, though.

Old 11-10-2016, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Leverage browser caching for better load speeds. Faster loading speeds mean lower bounce rate, more than a second and you are losing people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devlxn View Post
My two cents for the matter here is that page speed has never helped my SERP progression.

I minified all of my js/css code and compressed every image like Google stressed to me about and it may have updated my score but I haven't seen any benefits from it whatsoever.

Just avoid any video sliders despite how good they look and stick with the good ole' quality content since it's how I've grown personally.

No one will complain to save some data usage and trim some time off their visit to your website, though.
I disagree...

73% of mobile internet users say that they’ve encountered a website that was too slow to load.

51% of mobile internet users say that they’ve encountered a website that crashed, froze, or received an error.

38% of mobile internet users say that they’ve encountered a website that wasn’t available.

47% of consumers expect a web page to load in 2 seconds or less.

40% of people abandon a website that takes more than 3 seconds to load.

A 1 second delay in page response can result in a 7% reduction in conversions.

If an e-commerce site is making $100,000 per day, a 1 second page delay could potentially cost you $2.5 million in lost sales every year.

A high bounce rate has a direct correlation to you rankings, so any way to avoid this is good practice.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

There is no doubt users like fast load speeds but you got to get them to your site first and there is no real benefit yet for having a super fast page.

Old 11-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leader View Post
There is no doubt users like fast load speeds but you got to get them to your site first and there is no real benefit yet for having a super fast page.
If your site isn't live yet then of course not, if it is live then there is.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Both are somehow connected as speed is one of the factors now in rankings. If your website is fast loading then it will be beneficial for your site's ranking hence it can get you more visitors (who like fast load speeds).

Old 11-12-2016, 05:30 AM

For my website Google Page Speed Insights and Pigdom Speed test shows different results. Which one should we believe?

Old 11-13-2016, 07:19 PM
Contributing Member

Techniques, recommendations, AND most of the answers (asked in this topic) can be found in this 1.5 hour video series, from Google Webmasters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qpn...wCYfBV5b_-q_wY

Last edited by memodorial; 11-13-2016 at 07:23 PM.

Old 11-24-2016, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

Look at the issues that need fixing in the Google speed checker you used. The issues should be listed there. Adjust according to the suggestions. Also, do you have some caching service for your site or similar? There's CDN caching, which is basically paid, and there are also plugins like W3TC and Supercache. There are also plugins to optimize your images in a way that they won't take too much weight on loading the site. You might want to check these out.

Old 11-26-2016, 04:56 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashavpower View Post
Pingdom tests you all results of a website they even tell you where your website getting havier.
This is all you have to say after reading all the replies? From the looks of it, you didn't read anything before replying. You posting 1 minute apart. Keep it up and it won't end well for you.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Who View Post
Just save yourself from headaches and get WP Rocket. It's the best speed optimization plugin on the market, and if you don't want to pay for it, then I highly recommend W3 Total Cache (a great alternative), however, WP Rocket is much better imo..

Another thing to consider - Upload your site on a CDN. If you are currently not using a CDN then it is logical why your site needs further optimization. If you need a free one, I would suggest Cloudflare, if you can afford a paid one, then MaxCDN.

Regarding your theme edits, just make sure that you do a good job of eleminating non-relevant CSS and Javascript, and also, do a minification (for all of them)

Hope that helps

Mr.Who
I wholly agree with what you said - for the most part. There is one thing to be wary of and that's the minification feature. Be very careful when minifying because the pros are slight, but the consequences can be incredibly awful. I minified my site and had to rebuild it from scratch because minification broke it.

GTMetrix is also a great site to test your speed. Based on the information that they provided, I took several actions to bring my load time down from a 9.9 secs to 4.2 secs. My site has several revolution sliders and is pretty content heavy with parallax and animation. GTMetrix even converts the images for you into lossless - shrinking image size down without affecting quality. If there is anything wrong with your code, they will point that out, too.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leader View Post
I did an experiment where I took one of my websites that was created using webcreator pro 6 which doesn't do very well with the google page speed tool getting scores between 50-60 and deleted it and put up a replacement website coded directly in html and got a score of 100.
So I waited to see just how much the fast page speed would help and the answer was somewhere between zero and not much.
I wonder what experiences other has with this.

I should add that the orginal pages were loading in about 5 seconds and now load in around 2.
Page speed has a massive impact on ecommerce sites especially if the customer is male. There is loads of data out there and Ive posted charts etc before so won't again.

Personally i never wait more than a few seconds as It just appears the site isn't loading and I don't want to wait.

Fast Page speed does not give you a direct tangible Seo boost. What it does do is give your users a better user experience, and their time on page will indirectly boost your rankings.

Slow page speed = High bounce rate = Lower rankings in some cases. I say some cases as you may have everything else nailed and you won't notice the difference much if thats the case.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Contributing Member

I had bad experience on one my my client website. We had an which was taking 4.27s to load the complete page. We worked on google speed recommendation from google analytics and found most of our images were red flagged and some issues with .js .css loading issues.

We worked on optimizing images and also moved some .js files to the header. It helped to load website within 3.20s. But still that was not enough as our competitors website loaded in 606ms.

So after a long research, we planned to move our website with good hosting. Finally we found great VPS hosting company and our site started loading within 800ms.

Sometimes i feel if you are hosting your website on shared hosting, site speed is slower. So you can use shared hosting+CDN or just changed from shared hosting to VPS.

This are my views and personal experience. All depends on how much traffic and performance is need on your website.

Old 12-07-2016, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitendrasurve View Post
I had bad experience on one my my client website. We had an which was taking 4.27s to load the complete page. We worked on google speed recommendation from google analytics and found most of our images were red flagged and some issues with .js .css loading issues.

We worked on optimizing images and also moved some .js files to the header. It helped to load website within 3.20s. But still that was not enough as our competitors website loaded in 606ms.

So after a long research, we planned to move our website with good hosting. Finally we found great VPS hosting company and our site started loading within 800ms.

Sometimes i feel if you are hosting your website on shared hosting, site speed is slower. So you can use shared hosting+CDN or just changed from shared hosting to VPS.

This are my views and personal experience. All depends on how much traffic and performance is need on your website.
Nice post will real life findings. makes a change!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum