Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

3 Common Google Penalties & How to Recover From Them

I wonder how many so-called SEO experts will read this and perhaps learn something...

Quote:
Traffic to your website is steadily rising, along with sales. Rankings are also on the rise for your target keywords. But the next day traffic takes a sudden nosedive and your site is nowhere to be seen in the search results.

What happened?

The dreaded algorithm update…

It can be incredibly devastating to witness this scenario as sales to your business likely take a major hit as a result. Such occurrences are actually much more common than you think.

Google is constantly refining its ranking algorithm to deliver better and more relevant results. In fact, it is estimated that the algorithm is updated hundreds of times a year. Engaging in any questionable tactics will likely result in a ranking penalty.
Continued at: http://www.searchenginepeople.com/bl...penalties.html

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Algorithm update is a big one. It used to be about throwing links and now mobile responsiveness and page speed matter a lot more.

How do you avoid them in the first place?

My thinking it's important to plan for the future. This is hard for SEOs who need to show month results and spending time on activities that have a long term return, but it's useful and important for business owners to invest in their website.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarfudd View Post
How do you avoid them in the first place?

My thinking it's important to plan for the future. This is hard for SEOs who need to show month results and spending time on activities that have a long term return, but it's useful and important for business owners to invest in their website.
This explains nothing. Worthless, except for increasing one's post count.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:51 AM
Latest Blog:
None

One of the main reasons people get Google penalties is because they look for shortcuts. These shortcuts work in the short term and are very effective.

Therefore a lot of bad SEOs engage in these practices. That's what I was saying - it's short term thinking. That had nothing to do with forum post count.

The most important thing is to focus on the long term even if the immediate results are less.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I loved this blog post. Knock on wood (runs to the front door to knock on it) I have never been penalized so I have not had to take a look at everything and find the flaws to fix them.

I read a lot online and continually make changes all the time so I perhaps skip getting a penalty.

I use the common sense approve when going for backlinks plus I can tell the different from a link farm to a quality website. lol

Remember the above the fold penalty? Wow, you should of seen the hundreds of threads going on this forum each day.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Google is becoming unpredictable nowadays !

Back in 2011, I was using senuke to increase the number of links to my blog and that used to work for a small time. 3rd month and my website got de-indexed. 10000 links in a month .

Then I again purchased a new domain, this time it was 1000 links per month. Well, the new website also got de-indexed soon.

New domain again, but this time I reduced it to 2 or 3 links a day, there's a scheduler in senuke. I started getting around 20000 visitors on my blog every month. $713 with adsense, that was my first cheque !

Things were awesome till the beginning of 2012, But soon, this one was again penalised and de-indexed. This was the time when I decided to accept the challenge and find out the mistakes i was doing. Quicksprout is my favourite, reading it since a long time. One of my client is India's top office furniture manufacturer. I am doing well for him since last 2 years. I have increased his website traffic from 2000 to 10000.

Things have changed a lot now. Its not the numbers, its not even the quality alone. Its the overall performance, including your website's speed, performance, click through rate and links which are high quality and related to your niche.

SEO has become a bit interesting now !

!! Please ignore the grammar !!

Old 04-03-2017, 06:55 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Recently I had affected from Fred Google algorithm but I didn't cleaned it up.. Google just swiped my complete backlinks & refreshed it.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmate001 View Post
Recently I had affected from Fred Google algorithm but I didn't cleaned it up.. Google just swiped my complete backlinks & refreshed it.
i think Fred update is not about backlink or anything, Fred focus on low content and ad heavy sites

Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

Increasingly I think one has to make you have optimized everything else (social, offline, network, conversion, multiple sale channels if possible) to take you through the ups and downs of Google algorithms.

Of course great content, great backlinks, great mobile, fast load, great titles, zero errors crucial, but Google does have the final say what to list in their search results and how something works 2-3 years from now can be hard to predict. But it depends lot on your business, website and time frame of course.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

It happen same with my website... everything was okay... My website was getting rank on targeted keywords & I was not doing link building... but as I started link building my website lost ranking just after 2/3 weeks...

And I'm still unable to understand this.... !

Old 05-24-2017, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestpostingindia View Post
My website was getting rank on targeted keywords & I was not doing link building... but as I started link building my website lost ranking just after 2/3 weeks...

And I'm still unable to understand this.... !
How can you not understand it?? Clearly, if what you are saying is true, then it goes that the links are the culprit, and only you know what kind of links these are.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:35 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The back link we generate from other sites should be a quality one and trusted, that makes the website error free and remain stable when there is an update from search engines.

Old 08-29-2017, 03:26 AM

Getting Hit by Pand and Penguin Algorithm Update

I remember the time when we were hit by Panda and Penguin Algorithms. Back then one of our company used to ask their content writers to write three articles a day, but weren't of high quality, also there was way too much of link farms and thin quality content.

So after the google algorithm updates the site got heavily penalized and the traffic declined like never before. So in the audit phase we removed all the duplicate content from the site and we somewhat recovered from the damage.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:28 AM

Great article! As a reasonably new SEO enthusiast, I found a lot of 'SEO update' history mentioned here. I have one question now:

Is it even worth it to go for the spammy backlinks when trying to promote your website, or is it better to just stay away from them altoghether and only aim for the quality websites?

Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Nice article, people just assumed that create more back link to increase ranking in SERP. Google has changed it's algorithms but people's haven't their mentality. Because, SEO is not just to create more n more back links. It's like how do you gain back links, relevancy of back links, quality of back links.

Because any good information will be shared on all mediums like on social media, guest posts, articles as well as in discussion forums also. It is shared through naked link, some one can share on keywords, some one give any work like "source" and "read more". These are considered as natural ways. While if you create back links from same source and on same keywords it will definitely indicates a link building campaign.

Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 AM

Great article! As a reasonably new SEO enthusiast, I found a lot of 'SEO update' history mentioned here. I have one question now:

Old 09-14-2017, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubarfudd View Post
One of the main reasons people get Google penalties is because they look for shortcuts. These shortcuts work in the short term and are very effective.

Therefore a lot of bad SEOs engage in these practices. That's what I was saying - it's short term thinking. That had nothing to do with forum post count.

The most important thing is to focus on the long term even if the immediate results are less.
although i agree, the trouble i find is that, for lets say a small business providing basic services in a town, it's hard to find legit ways to improve a sites SEO naturally. Let's say an eletrician for example that covers the town of Guildford.

That site will never rank well unless someone purposefully does something for the SEO. The owner of that site will never naturally be able to create links to the site. ok perhaps someone might recommend the site online and link to it on say a forum, but generally the owner will HAVE to hire an SEO company to create links and links and links and do stuff that is designed for SEO purpose only. Of course with googles changes they are fair to say we no longer take this spam method into account, but no matter what they now do take into account, it will then be done for the purpose of nothing to increase SERP. for instance i see SEO companies that create facebook pages, and then spam the **** out of those pages with useless content, with the expectation this will improve SERP.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:16 PM

This has happened with me as well. I was not aware of the Google new algorithm due to which the website traffic decline drastically. however whn I update the website with the new algorithm,, after few days traffic rises automatically

Old 11-20-2017, 06:20 AM

The website of my company was also hit in September/October, when we noticed that our organic traffic started to decrease (after a very stable growth in the past 6 months). We performed a very details traffic research, trying to figure out what kind of pages and language groups got affected the most. However, we got no obvious pattern. Then we got to hear the rumor that there was an unofficial Google update within this period. We are still not 100% sure if we got hit by the update, but in order to check this theory we cleaned our back link profile (assuming that Google might have penalized us for bad links).

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum