Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Share |
Old 11-20-2006, 05:28 PM

Unhappy New site, has hard times getting Google to update the index

New site, has hard times getting Google to update the index

Hi, I have been struggling with this for couple of weeks now. I have bought a domain name, www.MarketGround.com, which I plan to convert to a popular classifieds forum. I bought it in September 2006. It had (has) PR of 4. I thought it was a good deal.

Except, I just can't get Google and MSN to reindex this site and show new pages of my site. It still (two months later!) shows the old 66 pages from the old site. The information of the old site is totally unrelated to this new one. By the way, Yahoo shows the new pages already.

Last month I created Google sitemap for MarketGround. When I log into the sitemap account, it says last crawl was on August 19th! And nothing since then! Yet when I look at logs, I can see googlebot there everyday.

Could you please tell me whats wrong? I waited for a month patiently. And now I am starting to get very worried.

Thank you very much!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-20-2006, 07:39 PM

One of the wrong times is buy domains in the belief they will keep they old pagerank.

Most expired domains are updated shortly after and go to zero. Others fail when not expired but the old owner used to update the content and promote, and the new one no.

Googlebot is not a single "individual", Google has about 700 datacenters so the robot which crawl sitemaps could not be the same you are seeing, as it is not either that which is called after placing adsense.

Try resubmitting you sitemap fixing the peiorical visit, or using another software to improve performance and frequency.

Old 11-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Contributing Member

I have seen companies buy domain names with goor PR and good web traffic stats (IIS log generateed in this instance).
A few months after the purchase the PR dropped and the traffic stopped, PR has stabilised, the guy selling the site/domain was a smart guy, he builds back links for sites then sells them on, then moves the back links to the next project.....

My advice, dont buy a domain purely because of its apparent PR/traffic rating, if the name is what you are after thats another story.
Remeber to check the history of the domain via whois.com if its been around for while, use http://www.archive.org to view any older sites that may have used the domain, you dont want to buy a domain that has had 'bad' content before...

Old 11-21-2006, 02:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well its not very hard getting listed in Google make sure you can build lots of links to get crawled quickly.

Old 11-21-2006, 02:26 AM

Well you are doing the right thing by keeping the same user name in both the forum and here. But just looking at the forum it has way too many topics - it might be a good idea to condense it through the admin box, pick say 4 subjects that are near and dear to your heart. Use those titles as search words - go to www.pheedster.com/directories.php and star doing manual linking using the 4 page titles as keywords and that way anyone who is searching on that keyword will eventually find the forum.

Also search those keywords yourself and see what other forums cover the topics and then ask the admin of those forums if they would have any objection to linking up with each other.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 AM

thank you very much for your advice, it keeps my hopes alive!!!!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum