Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 12-29-2017, 03:40 AM

Changing anchor text of a backlink

What happens if we change an anchor text of a backlink? Is still valuable in Google's eyes? Or we should delete or disavow this kind of link?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2017, 08:03 AM
Contributing Member

Is it on your site or somebody else's from which you are getting it as a backlink?

Old 12-31-2017, 06:59 AM
Contributing Member

You can change anchor text and it can help your site if you change it to text that moves your site up in search results. Maybe you made text but it is not ranking well you could change text to similar text that has less wesbites listed and it might rank better for.

It is trial and error you might change text and site does worse.

Old 12-31-2017, 09:02 AM

You can - and sometimes should - change the anchor text of backlinks. Depending on who created the backlink (and when) the anchor text could be all wrong for current SEO best practices.

Rather than disavow a link and lose all of its value, especially if it's on a quality/relevant site, the best course of action is to change it to something that better reflects your business and the content it is being linked to.

However, if the site that is linking to you is low quality / high spam, then the best course of action is to request removal / disavow the link.

Old 01-01-2018, 02:17 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, I'm a little bit confused.

If you get a backlink, you get them from other sites then you think of changing their anchor text.

Old 01-01-2018, 07:22 AM

Yes, I believe that is what they are asking.

It is possible to reach out to external sites and ask them to update the anchor text on a link, sometimes because the focus of the site may have changed since the link was created, sometimes because of a typo. I've done it before.

There is no guarantee when or if they will act upon the request, but it can be done.

Other times, the external site might be another site owned by the same company and they want to update the way they cross-reference each other. I've done that before too.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:00 AM
Contributing Member

I did a research of my competitors backlinks, and I noticed that most of their links has no anchor text or even some irrelevant anchor text, I am not sure what google does, but I know that for sure anchor text lost its value on SEERPS.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojptl624 View Post
What did you do if you did this? My website's backlinks are made in my name, can I remove them?
You'd need to contact the webmaster who runs the site where your current backlink is posted with a logical reason why your backlink anchor text needs to be changed.

For example, if you've changed your brand/URL and the entire link needs to be updated, or there is a typo in the backlink, or if you've changed your company's core positioning.

Be nice & professional about it, they don't "owe you" this work, even if the link points to you.

I will say that the chances of them changing it for you if all you want to do is change it to a more keyword-related anchor text are far less likely than a real and reasonable need to update an old link.

Paul

Old 01-14-2018, 03:03 AM

Pedro Dias, a former member of the Google search quality said that, Google is less likely to trust a link once it has changed from the 1st time it was seen.
Means you need to delete (if possible) or disavow this kind of link. I think Google would count it unnatural link.

Old 01-14-2018, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiru77 View Post
Pedro Dias, a former member of the Google search quality said that, Google is less likely to trust a link once it has changed from the 1st time it was seen.
Means you need to delete (if possible) or disavow this kind of link. I think Google would count it unnatural link.
I don't really know this person's work, but yes, I've read an article about this too. However, unless someone actually tests this out, and the data corroborates the statement, it's really just an opinion. A potentially reputable opinion, but an opinion, just the same.

If you've any data that can corroborate this, please post it here.

Old 01-15-2018, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
If you've any data that can corroborate this, please post it here.
Sorry sir, I do not have any evidence because I have experienced yet, but I have read that article and few others so I think Google would consider this link as a paid link or unnatural link.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiru77 View Post
Sorry sir, I do not have any evidence because I have experienced yet, but I have read that article and few others so I think Google would consider this link as a paid link or unnatural link.
So, because this person says so, are you saying Google reveres this person and his info, or are you are saying that this person works for Google?

Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 PM
Contributing Member

I think you can change anchor text very carefully, because search engine see all things. LSI is better option.

Old 01-16-2018, 11:45 PM

Seo

Yes you are right but not only anchor text is depend on meta tag and title tag is very important for our seo filed okay gays.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentsher View Post
Yes you are right but not only anchor text is depend on meta tag and title tag is very important for our seo
Ok, first and foremost - let go of the mouse. Now, step away from the keyboard and do us all a favor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentsher View Post
okay gays.
Really???

Last edited by LMD; 01-17-2018 at 05:34 AM.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:23 PM

Yep changing the text would help you if it ranked higher on the keyword you want to be

Old 04-20-2018, 01:58 AM
Contributing Member

you can change your site, that could be a better option.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Closed Thread