Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 05-06-2007, 06:36 PM

Why Linking Is Harder Now

Good article on why getting links is harder these days.

Quote:
The way I see it, if you’re trying to build links for a new commercial or affiliate site, you have 3 major things working against you:

1. It’s hard to get people to link to a commercial or affiliate site (relatively speaking).
2. Many of your competitors are old. They have a huge head start and even if you build links regularly the gap may be widening, since the rich get richer.
3. If you have any ‘brands’ in your niche, they will get a lot of links naturally due to their offline presence.
However, I linked to that article. I did so because I've read interesting articles on that site before, I thought that article was interesting, and thought other people might like it, too.

Therein lies the trick for getting free links

Old 05-06-2007, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Completely true on this article you mentioned. Like I said before each online company will be in need of SEO in the future, but who can afford to pay? Where is "the everybody" can have a chance?

Robespierre

Old 05-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Spam... a lot of spam around. It is hard to e-mail webmasters to add link of quality website because 90% webmasters just ignore your site and never click.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I receive a lot of email from webmasters who want to link to my site, but they are not on my topic, so I prefer to refuse or direct them on my directories.

Robespierre

Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

yes, somebody wants to link exchange with me but their site is not related to mine... That's why I rejected them.....

Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy27 View Post
yes, somebody wants to link exchange with me but their site is not related to mine... That's why I rejected them.....
I found that most e-mails which come with link exchange offer send SEO companies. Most of them just buy list of webmasters and send it to random people.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:15 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

there is competitor everywhere.
even you produce pen, there is tons of them that already selling pens since 70ty.

fact is, war will still goes on. win or lose, you will have your piece of land.

Old 05-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Linking is harder now because there is a lot of competitors and most of them used the spamming method.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Linking is harder now because there is a lot of competitors and most of them used the spamming method.
then be a better spammer...

kidding ok, dont spam.

Old 05-08-2007, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

spam the mail reason

Old 05-08-2007, 08:02 PM
No Longer Active
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhiga View Post
Spam... a lot of spam around. It is hard to e-mail webmasters to add link of quality website because 90% webmasters just ignore your site and never click.
Maybe because experienced webmasters don't like to link to new sites that have nothing unique or new to offer and are often just another adsense page or other worthless piece of crap made in the intention to provide income for another one of the millions of luck-seekers on the internet?

I'm pretty sure that unique and interesting sites have no problem at all to get links but it's just that too many sites are published which only can gain interest from their owners, and maybe their friends and family, simply because they are just another one in a few million of the same.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Maybe because experienced webmasters don't like to link to new sites that have nothing unique or new to offer
Absolutely. I don't even see link requests - they go straight in the trash.

One good way to get links is to give links. Webmasters look at their inbound links. They'll check out who is linking to them, and why.

That person is now a potential linker. Say something nice about them, or interest them, and you're likely to get a link in return.

The biggest waste of time is to send link requests. It's not 2001 anymore.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Yea, I ignore all requests for links. Especially for off-topic, non-related sites. I am sick of looking at sites that have nothing unique about them. Most are worthless.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

I usually do not use link exchange. Either you end up linking to a competor or you an unrelated site Dont want to risk any penalty!

Old 05-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferre View Post
Maybe because experienced webmasters don't like to link to new sites that have nothing unique or new to offer and are often just another adsense page or other worthless piece of crap made in the intention to provide income for another one of the millions of luck-seekers on the internet?

I'm pretty sure that unique and interesting sites have no problem at all to get links but it's just that too many sites are published which only can gain interest from their owners, and maybe their friends and family, simply because they are just another one in a few million of the same.
I was promoting one good website about classic music with a lot of good information. Over 100 000 pages of free information about Bach, Bethoven, Mozart.... thousands more.
Site online 4 years....
We wrote 450 e-mails to webmasters and bloggers who own sites about classical music. Personal letter to everyone in German, English, Italian, Russian, Ukranian, French, Dutch language 9depending where website was. It took us about week....
All we got was just 8-10 backlinks and over 100 e-mails asking money for link (from non-profit sites also).

Old 05-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Someone PM me for link exchange, And I accept his offer after a week they remove my link w/o a notice for me. Not fair.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:21 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Smile

I do not think getting links is harder today.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:41 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh View Post
I do not think getting links is harder today.
Yeah, Its easy to get link but not that quality. I prefer a quality one for my site.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

This is the typical unsolicted type of link exchange I get:

Some complete stranger emails me, tells me they love, love, love my site and I place their link blog wide and in exchange they will give me one measly link on an individual PR0 blog page of my choice. (Their site is totally unrelated to my topic. The anchor text the want me to include is never remotely related to my blog.)

They also stipulate that I put my link up first, contact them and then they will post a the link to my site.

I generally ignore these offers, but twice I replied that I would be glad to post their link on some pr0 internal page of mine if, in exchage, they would put me on their index page and make sure the link appears on the side bar when single pages appear. And I ask them to contact me when they have posted my link and then I will post in the individual page of their choice.

Basically I am offering them what they offerred me--but my counter offer is actually better than their offer because my blogs PR was notably higher.) They didn't answer. (Imagine that? )

I'm sure these people have trouble getting links.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 PM

It need understand and match goods in affiliate to win.Sometime it donot so good.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum