Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 AM

What Nonsense. There is a reason only few sites get those extra sitelinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankenstein View Post
Nonsense. It's not a sign that you have an authority site. Why would you think it is?

http://www.google.com/support/webmas...334&topic=8523

Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by minstrel View Post
...I'm unable to find any definitive information that would explain why only a few sites get those extra links...
Yeah, it's unclear, there are theories flying around though. Mr Google Patent (aka Bill Slawski, aka SEObytheSea) kicks a few ideas about here.

But for a definitive answer, I haven't found anything concrete. Product selling pages pop up a great deal, but is that through popularity of the page, or it's to do with click-throughs/pages-most-navigated-to?

Two things just occurred to me:

a) has anyone seen these extra links cropping up for sites where they haven't individualised their titles?

b) where are they getting their anchor text for these links from? Do a search for Adobe - they aren't getting the anchor text from the page titles, that's for sure. On the other hand, in some instances, like a search for cod you can see the fourth link down is:
Academics | College of DuPage
That's a direct, exact title lift. So sometimes they use page titles, sometimes not. Well, that's cleared things up no end.

For link anchor text, the ones that aren't taken from the title bar, I can only assume come from most common anchor text in IBLs - stress 'assume' because just a few checks shows some flaws in that idea - specifically in which words are left out of the anchor text link in the SERPs. Could be to do with the anchor text of internal links in the site. Possibly sitewide internal nav links.

It'd be nice to know why these links pop up, definitely. Site structure sounds like a good bet. Accessibility and compliance might play a part.

It's all guess-work though. But I don't believe for a minute it's about 'authority' sites - though I concede the 'nonsense' was a bit harsh - because that way we would all know exactly what the authority sites were, even if we didn't know why. Shortly after that, someone would quickly work out the criteria to fulfill to become an authority site.

There's always the possibility that Google is just trying stuff out - though this has been going on for 2 years now.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Interesting article. Thanks, Rankenstein.

See also: http://internetmastery.wordpress.com...you-build-one/

Old 06-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member

@ alpna

Congratulations for such a great achievement. (tell me quickly if you have advertising space there)

Authority can not achieved with money. As the Google Webmasters guide says --the more you receive votes from reputed sites --the more reputed you become.

Same logic goes here too-- with authority sites. Also in your case, the competition might be lower.
What I uderstand by an Authority Site is - the ultimate trust you have won from Google bots in your respective field.

Type XOOPS, LINUX, phpBB on Google --you get the parent sites of each of these --which means they are the ultimate authority sites in their field. V7N too became an authority site last week.

I also have my theory of how to get the status. Connect your site to as many authority sites as possible -- preferably in your niche and after a certain period of time that Google bots deem it fit --they will award you the status too. Here Page Rank (PR) is irrelevant.

Of late I have been editing and adding authority sites on my directory to make it more resourceful to visitors --I found that even some PR3 sites have become authority sites in their field.

I hope -some guys would agree with me

Last edited by jhnrang; 06-17-2007 at 01:18 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum