Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 07-25-2007, 03:53 AM
simplyDone simplyDone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-22-07
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Loss of positions in Google

Hey

One of my site, approx 2500 pages, that had really good positions for lots of its keywords has completely dropped out of Google - does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening.

Positions are all good in MSN and Yahoo! We haven't been involved in anything dodgy.

Please let me know if you are experiencing similar situations and what you have done to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.
 
Reply With Quote

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:08 AM
Redfly's Avatar
Redfly Redfly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 290
iTrader: 0 / 0%
My cat died last week. Any idea what happened?

You might want to provide some more information.
URL?
Any mention of a penalty in Webmaster Central?
Did you spam?
What did you change recently?
Etc.

Sheesh. Do you think we are mind readers?
Questions like that really bug me. Guess it's from my tech support days.
 
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2007, 06:19 AM
Leonelo Leonelo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 07-16-07
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Same thing happened to us 2 weeks ago and we returned to the serps just yesterday, it might be the same thing happened to you. It seems like there is a big backlinks and PR update that is in progress. I would suggest not to do any changes unless you get a penalty message from Google. We haven't received anything and just like the day we disappear from the serps, we got back. No changes what so ever in our sites, its seems like the update caused this.

This is the thread I posted here:
Huge drop in Google - Help!
 
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-27-2007, 01:58 AM
simplyDone simplyDone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-22-07
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Hi Redfly

As I said in my initial post, the site hasn't been taking part in any spammy techniques - although admittedly I did call it 'dodgy'.

And no penatlies in my webmaster tools account. Only work done recently is some title tweeks. From the sounds of things the best thing is to wait it out for a bit and then see.

P.s. Sorry to hear about your cat!
 
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-27-2007, 02:00 AM
simplyDone simplyDone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-22-07
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Hi Leonelo

I have been looking at some threads in Webmaster world and they seem to suggest a similar strategy of 'weathering the storm'!. So I'll wait it out for a couple of weeks and then see. They seem to think it could be something to do with the datacenters having an update.

Fingers crossed.
 
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-27-2007, 06:27 AM
full house's Avatar
full house full house is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 07-02-07
Posts: 894
iTrader: 1 / 100%
hi,

my keywords rankings also drops! MY conclusion is linking to bad neighborhood.
Its hard to tell who is a bad neighbor or not!And its hard to fix your link posted on their site cause you need to beg for them in order to remove your link.

Hope I'm wrong hope this is just a google dance!
 
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-27-2007, 12:43 PM
coolguy27's Avatar
coolguy27 coolguy27 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 03-23-07
Posts: 1,771
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Due to changing algorithm and updates of Google... That's natural... Keep SEO don't get tired of doing it...
 
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2007, 05:15 AM
Cornbread's Avatar
Cornbread Cornbread is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-14-07
Location: Kansas
Posts: 578
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by full house View Post
hi,

my keywords rankings also drops! MY conclusion is linking to bad neighborhood.
Its hard to tell who is a bad neighbor or not!And its hard to fix your link posted on their site cause you need to beg for them in order to remove your link.

Hope I'm wrong hope this is just a google dance!
The link of your site posted on their site doesn't hurt you, it's your outbound links that can hurt you. Check your outbound links.
 
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-02-2007, 10:43 AM
nicesurf nicesurf is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Posts: 251
iTrader: 0 / 0%
It is normal in Google and it will get back to the sane position again, but make sure all the links work.

Nic
 
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
dee_el07's Avatar
dee_el07 dee_el07 is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 06-12-07
Location: @ Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 1,098
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
The link of your site posted on their site doesn't hurt you, it's your outbound links that can hurt you. Check your outbound links.
Yeah, agree to Cornbread.. Its your outbound links that hurts your site..

Anyway just keep on working and updating your site for you to bring back your rankings..
 
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
lajocar's Avatar
lajocar lajocar is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-02-07
Location: www.seono1.co.za
Posts: 469
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Keep on writing quality content and building links to your site. It will bounce back
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
AlexCuster's Avatar
AlexCuster AlexCuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-01-07
Posts: 178
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
The link of your site posted on their site doesn't hurt you, it's your outbound links that can hurt you. Check your outbound links.
How do the outbound links hurt you?
 
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 PM
infogle infogle is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 07-19-07
Location: www.inttellectseo.com
Posts: 150
iTrader: 0 / 0%
As the PR is updating this might be happening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyDone View Post
Hey

One of my site, approx 2500 pages, that had really good positions for lots of its keywords has completely dropped out of Google - does anyone have any ideas why this might be happening.

Positions are all good in MSN and Yahoo! We haven't been involved in anything dodgy.

Please let me know if you are experiencing similar situations and what you have done to resolve this.

Thanks in advance.
 
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Cornbread's Avatar
Cornbread Cornbread is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-14-07
Location: Kansas
Posts: 578
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCuster View Post
How do the outbound links hurt you?
If you link out to crappy, spammy web sites, then it could hurt you. When you link to a site, that is your way of "voting" for that site, so if you cast a vote for a crap site, or hundreds of crap sites, then Google sees you as a crap site. In life and in Googles eyes, you are judged by the company you keep. Birds of a feather flock together.
 
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2007, 03:06 PM
AlexCuster's Avatar
AlexCuster AlexCuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-01-07
Posts: 178
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
If you link out to crappy, spammy web sites, then it could hurt you. When you link to a site, that is your way of "voting" for that site, so if you cast a vote for a crap site, or hundreds of crap sites, then Google sees you as a crap site. In life and in Googles eyes, you are judged by the company you keep. Birds of a feather flock together.
So does that mean outbound links to reputable companies that are in the same industry as you appeals to Google and helps your SEO?
 
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-08-2007, 05:26 PM
vexcom vexcom is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 08-08-07
Posts: 7
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCuster View Post
So does that mean outbound links to reputable companies that are in the same industry as you appeals to Google and helps your SEO?
YES
 
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Cornbread's Avatar
Cornbread Cornbread is offline
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 05-14-07
Location: Kansas
Posts: 578
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCuster View Post
So does that mean outbound links to reputable companies that are in the same industry as you appeals to Google and helps your SEO?
If they link back to you then yes it helps you, because then you are getting a vote from a quality site. If they won't link back to you then it won't help you. Basically get as many sites to link back to you as possible, but be very picky about who you link to, that's how you get better page rank.
 
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-09-2007, 09:21 AM
simplyDone simplyDone is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 06-22-07
Posts: 29
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Hey

Great news! My site has come back into Google. And haven't seen a loss in any position - in fact some improvements for certain keywords.

The 'downtime' from Google, as in when we disappeared from the SERPs, was pretty much a month to the date.

So if this happens to anyone else patience is key.

Thanks for everyone's advice with all this.
 
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
AlexCuster's Avatar
AlexCuster AlexCuster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 08-01-07
Posts: 178
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
If they link back to you then yes it helps you, because then you are getting a vote from a quality site. If they won't link back to you then it won't help you. Basically get as many sites to link back to you as possible, but be very picky about who you link to, that's how you get better page rank.
Ahhh alright. Thanks for the info!
 
Reply With Quote
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Results From www.google.com Changed While Searching Top Positions Globally !!!! eimee Google Forum 6 01-22-2008 11:34 PM
Drop in positions. sniperhiga Google Forum 14 03-19-2007 01:02 AM
Grammar mistakes affect Google positions and Pagerank sniperhiga Google Forum 3 01-15-2007 07:20 PM
Google has massive data loss those jackasses awall19s brother Google Forum 10 01-31-2006 06:51 PM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:28 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC