Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum

Google Forum Discuss Google related issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-17-2008, 07:14 AM

Question How to get Google to change incorrect information

Hi all,

I hope someone out there has dealt with this type of issue.

I belong to the Tombstone Arizona Chamber of Commerce. About two years ago the people who made our original website, took the domain name www.tombstone.org and made it their own website, in effect stealing it from the chamber. We were forced to get www.tombstonechamber.com, since Kraft foods owns all the other Tombstone.* domains, to use for our webpage.

Now, here is my question:
When I do a google search for Tombstone Chamber of Commerce, the "stolen" site still comes up in the search as the Tombstone Arizona Chamber of Commerce with the map and all. I have used any and every type of contact form I can find on Google (I have brought this to their attention at least 6 times in the past 6 months) and the imposter website still comes up as the Chamber of Commerce.

Is there any way to actually get Google to fix this? The domain robbers are getting all the traffic and really confusing our clients.

HELP!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:03 AM

You cannot remove the site from the "index". However, you can get a better rank than it in Search Results. From what you say, I can understand you don't know much about Internet Marketing.

I'll try and make it simple: You'll have to get links from "other" websites to your site. Your links should have the main keywords you're wanting to rank high on google. (Eg: Tombstone Chamber of Commerce).

Another thing I noticed, the "imposter" site has around 1.1k links, while your site has 91 links. If you outnumber them link-wise, you should rank higher than them.

Other than that, you really cant do much - other than keep trying to contact google, which I feel wont really do much good.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 AM

Hey, I get what you are saying re: search engine placement. But what I'm talking about aren't the regular listings, they are the single listing with a google map, address, phone etc.. info at the top of the list.

I hope I'm making sense.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:11 AM

You mean you want to change the incorrect information displayed at maps.google.com for Tombstone Chamber of Commerce? You can simply edit them by clicking "Edit" on the baloon displaying the location on Google Maps.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:42 AM

B I N G O !

That did it! Thanks Proness, you figured out my problem!!

Yeehaw!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum