Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

Share |
Old 01-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Comments on new forum design

Hello;

I am working on the design for my new forum. It is a automotive / 4 wheel drive - jeep site, so we want to keep it fun, but we want the forum to look professional.

This is where I am at right now, the photos of the jeeps next to the threads will be cleaned up. I think I will remove the blue line at the bottom of the categories also.

Click image for larger version

Name:	willysjeepcom-mock-up_copy_for_upload.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	664.1 KB
ID:	11276

Any comments, thoughts suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Jamie Dolan

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 PM

Can you make the picture larger so that we could really see the details and colors? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2010, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukelogos69 View Post
Can you make the picture larger so that we could really see the details and colors? Thanks!
HI,

Thanks for responding, you should just have to click on it, maybe twice to see it full site. This is the link to the image, you can try clicking on this to see it full site, if it is still small in your browser, try clicking on it one more time to zoom in. Thanks! Jamie

http://www.v7n.com/forums/attachment...for_upload.jpg

Old 01-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

What was you're thinking on the color choice? I'm not sure I'm a fan of it. Seems a tad, hmm, food'ee - or child'like. Maybe it's just a hang-up on my part - I probably would have gone with more earthy tones, especially given the topic of Jeeps. Are you opting for a pueblo/new mexico/southern look?

The checker patterns is a little off putting I think. The standard practice for a forum list is to alternate background colors by row, not necessarily row and column. It actually looks a little too busy the way it is right now and when it comes to scrolling down a list of titles, topics/replies etc etc, simple is definitely better. And definitely easier on the eyes.

The Most Popular Photos feature is a nice touch. Consider knocking that back to say, top 4 rather than top 12. I only suggest this as a matter of bandwidth, 1 and 2 - almost more importantly, is rotation and updating. Seeing the same images in the list makes the page and ultimately the forum, look stale. Consider giving yourself some room to breath while you're starting out and knock back the list so you can rotate fewer images, more frequently - rather than more images, less frequently.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ncryptabl3_lick View Post
What was you're thinking on the color choice? I'm not sure I'm a fan of it. Seems a tad, hmm, food'ee - or child'like. Maybe it's just a hang-up on my part - I probably would have gone with more earthy tones, especially given the topic of Jeeps. Are you opting for a pueblo/new mexico/southern look?
I was worried about that with the orange. The reason that we used the orange color scheme is because it was used in a number of advertisements for the Willys Jeep back in the 1940's and 1950's. The colors would be familiar to many people that collect older jeep material. When I look at all the ad material and service manual material, it's kind of a rainbow, they company didn't use any consistent colors or even a consistent font in the logo. I didn't want to look like I was ripping off jeep forum dot com.

Thanks for your comments, I may have to re-think the orange or change the tone of it.

Quote:
The checker patterns is a little off putting I think. The standard practice for a forum list is to alternate background colors by row, not necessarily row and column. It actually looks a little too busy the way it is right now and when it comes to scrolling down a list of titles, topics/replies etc etc, simple is definitely better. And definitely easier on the eyes.
I didn't quite see the checker board pattern look until you mentioned it. Now I see what I did wrong there. This is Invision powerboard ( community.invisionpower.com ) and they alternate color and make the stats column darker, so it is 4 different shade, I was trying to emulate that, but need to revise.

Quote:
The Most Popular Photos feature is a nice touch. Consider knocking that back to say, top 4 rather than top 12. I only suggest this as a matter of bandwidth, 1 and 2 - almost more importantly, is rotation and updating. Seeing the same images in the list makes the page and ultimately the forum, look stale. Consider giving yourself some room to breath while you're starting out and knock back the list so you can rotate fewer images, more frequently - rather than more images, less frequently.
Thanks, I will knock that down to a more reasonable size, I have a lot of images to show off. I just loaded up the gallery today, and it looks really nice. I keep the area on the forum small and let people go browse the gallery if they want to see more.

Thanks for your comments. It helps to have some feedback, when you stare at one thing too long you lose perspective. :-)

Jamie

Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Not bad, though, I would work a bit more on the details, and I would make colors less heavy.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by w-e-b-master View Post
Not bad, though, I would work a bit more on the details, and I would make colors less heavy.
Thanks. I'm fixing that checker board look, to a more normal look and going with slightly less bold colors. I'm going to try a few other changes, then build a copy on the web so we can really see how it looks in the browser.

Thanks
Jamie

Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM

If i were you, i'd add some grunge effect in the header and forum names. And also perhaps use a more nicer font such as verdana or arial.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 AM

The black borders aren't too stylish. Make them brown or orange. You need to put some more work on details.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:52 AM

maybe you should work more to design a header, its need more details i think, and simply the background, your background design is just disturbing a visitor to view available threads on your forum

Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM

I agree - try to keep the main background simple, just a plain colour would look better.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum