Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 07-06-2010, 03:10 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Live Trace/Paint - Out of Memory Error - CS2

So I finally decided to suck it up and use Illustrator... seems like if u r good with the pen tool in PS, it serves u fine in AI... but it seems I am missing a little, probably obvious, knowledge on how to use AI effectively.

Using Live Trace, the default settings for say, photo hi res is still nowhere good enough for like a 25inch poster... so I messed with the custom settings, and making the minimum area to like 2px to give it a better quality render... so the Live Trace process works fine, but the when I do the Live Paint, it gives me not enough memory error and crashes. Expand works fine though, but even though I dont know the different, I feel like Live Pain does a better job, I dont know....

I have 3.25GB running with no other programs open, so this sucks. When I hiked it up to 5px, then it worked. I heard this was a problem in CS3 as well. I am not upgrading to Windows 7 and like 8GB of memory just for this.

So bottom line is, when you want to convert a large image to vector with high quality, what do u do? Should I maybe just work small scale (make it like a 10inch image) and then blow it up after, trusting the vectors will maintain the quality?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Latest Blog:
None

there's no point in opening an extremely large pic in AI. size it down to the area of comfortable workspace and learn how to trace well. As a vector, it will then have unlimited size possibilities.

i'd get on youtube and watch AI vids and then practice.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum