Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 PM

Thumbs down hi, i wanted to become a professional graphic designer..

I'm an artist by nature, and I wanted to become a professional graphic designer. Do I need to go to school to do attain one? Is there a license for that kind profession?

Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Daily read popular graphics design blog like Webdesigner Depo, Vandelay Design,Abuzeedo and SpoonGraphics in this blog you find daily tutorials related to graphics design.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:10 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Hi there, forsakendoll

Its really cool to see more artists joining the community Firstly though, let me say this, you can go to school and get diplomas for graphic design, or you can teach yourself, or you can do both. You can learn at school (college) and learn of the web.

Logoonlinepros is right, having a look at their work would be inspirational. Abzeedo has jaw dropping designs, and more than likely you will find a tutorial linked that will show you how to recreate it. It's how I learnt, and I implement it in my art and designs.

Taking a quick look at Google, if you search for graphic design diplomas, you will see many highly regarded schools offering diplomas in graphic design.

I wish you luck, and hope to see your designs on the web soon.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

getting some advice from professional graphic design is useful for you, try to discuss with them they will guide you more about this, try some tutorials on the web.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Contributing Member

Hi there and welcome new designer!

First of all, these day, companies want to see proof for any certificate and style you have. However, if I were you, I would suggest you to start college and study a chosen graphics course (HNC + HND). Without it... well.. you will have a hard time if you want to find jobs and become the best at design.

Finally, designing is not just about logos and whatever you called it. It can be any forms, techniques and variation (depends on your approach). So yeah, try everything from drawings, photography to vector design. The choice are endless...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Cant you just start doing a few odd jobs on a freelance basis?

Do something simple on Fiverr, Craigs List, advertise on here and other forums to do simple logos and graphics. My graphics are done by a 14yr old kid in UK, hes a great little fellah, low cost and i truly enjoy paying him.

Watching his skills grow and grow each day i feel almost like a parent watching their kids learn.

Gheez.....ive even had him do a few graphics and logos that i didnt really need, just so he could practise and earn a few bucks. Whats $10 to me when it encourages him so much and he puts so much time and effort into it?

So perhaps you can start out small and build up? Are qualifications really required and simply because you are "qualified", does that mean that you are actually any good?

JMT.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoonlinepros View Post
Daily read popular graphics design blog like Webdesigner Depo, Vandelay Design,Abuzeedo and SpoonGraphics in this blog you find daily tutorials related to graphics design.
thanks gonna check them out.. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooks View Post
Cant you just start doing a few odd jobs on a freelance basis?

Do something simple on Fiverr, Craigs List, advertise on here and other forums to do simple logos and graphics. My graphics are done by a 14yr old kid in UK, hes a great little fellah, low cost and i truly enjoy paying him.

Watching his skills grow and grow each day i feel almost like a parent watching their kids learn.

Gheez.....ive even had him do a few graphics and logos that i didnt really need, just so he could practise and earn a few bucks. Whats $10 to me when it encourages him so much and he puts so much time and effort into it?

So perhaps you can start out small and build up? Are qualifications really required and simply because you are "qualified", does that mean that you are actually any good?

JMT.
I'm already in fever doing twitter bg's customization and some stuff, but recently fiverr is not unto me..

Last edited by snakeair; 05-02-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 AM

hi welcome to v7n,

designing your own creativity, u learn yourself ,watch more ads and shapes,text placement mean balancing the layout.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

get inspiration from other designers stuffs, try to communicate with them, ask about how they create it & what they have done to professionalize their skills. try some tuts.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:07 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

designing skills is GOD gifted no you can learn from any school but if you don`t have talent then you can`t be a good designer

Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by seogame View Post
designing skills is GOD gifted no you can learn from any school but if you don`t have talent then you can`t be a good designer
While that can be very true, you do need a certain amount of talent, I feel that learning and doing can also develop skills which can in fact augment any measure of talent . It would be like telling a child they can't ride a bike, when they haven't really tried to in the first place and at the same time, neglecting to tell them that there are training wheels they can start out with.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Both choices are good. Since you already are an artist by nature, you can probably learn some basic principles of good web designing or graphic designing. There are a lot of free tutorials and you can practice what you've learned by creating a website, etc.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:19 PM

You don't need to go to school to become one to be honest. You need to have a nice portfolio. Start creating logos offer it to people and cheap prices then banners sites and work your way up and have a nice portfolio.

But, remember quality work is really appreciated and people are willing to pay a lot for it.

Old 07-30-2011, 05:18 AM
Latest Blog:
None

B e creative and do what you like to do. Learn photoshop by heart if you wanna be successful.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:05 AM

first you should see in yourself whether you have a talent of becoming a graphic designer. I have seen people joining institutions for learning graphic designing but ending up being an average student. institutions just enhance your creativity. talent is no doubt God Gifted thing

Old 09-22-2011, 05:36 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakendoll View Post
I'm an artist by nature, and I wanted to become a professional graphic designer. Do I need to go to school to do attain one? Is there a license for that kind profession?
Hey you can see our level of Graphic Designing and Animation at [removed].

Because Graphic designing is not only creating objects or design u should have a creative and visualizing mind also, If you have this mixture in u. Then you might be became a good Graphic Designer.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-22-2011 at 01:32 PM.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Of course you should undergo on professional training..if don't like to go schooling for several years there are institutions that offer 3-6 months course on graphic designing.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:10 AM

Even you have a talent on designing,You must better to watch or learn some of other designer's work to much improve your talent and be much professional and successful someday..You are so lucky to have a talent like that.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:55 AM

Hey,

to be a graphic/web designer is just depends on your creativity, if you have creativity then going school or getting degree dosen't matter.

try learning from tutorials, like icons tutorial, some kind of image manipulation, or vector tutorials, these tutorials will help you for sure..

Old 10-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

it's really strange to hear this. I don't think there is an institution which gives you certificates for this.
Like on any websites now, they show you their portfolio not their certificates

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum