Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I would have to go with talent

Old 03-04-2012, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetospooge View Post
I would have to go with talent
Why?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 03-04-2012, 05:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

To be successful in doing graphics, you should have both an inborn talent and an education about it. In that way, you'll be able to develop and fully utilize your potentials.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:13 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Talent 100% is off much higher value than a degree and even if you work hard over and over again you may not achieve what a talent can produce from an individual.

A sports related example is Lionel Messi, even if another player train hard day and night he may not achieve or perform the talent found in Messi, same thing applies in graphic design

Old 03-05-2012, 02:00 PM

Just to add my little tuppence, my wife studied sciences through to degree level, encouraged by parents (which was pretty popular at the time), even though she had a real desire to be an artist.

She's been a frustrated artist ever since, and never really settled on a career until she took a complete break when we started a family, which gave her a chance to really think about the second stage of her working life. She has since thrown herself into becoming a designer, and although she was lacking in official training, it is hard to say at this stage that she hasn't learned the necessary skills through her own study (lets face it, you can find a tutorial on just about anything online these days), and her talent is pretty clear - to me at least!

So, I would come down on the side of talent, which has to be supported by training, but the latter comes so much more easily if you have the interst and desire from the start.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

for me it would be great if a person has both a degree and a natural talent ... a degree and natural talent is something that you would want to show off your skills. but natural talent really weigh's in more than a design degree holder because it would be easy for a person to adopt on a corporate world if he has natural talent in drawing or design and it is really a plus.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It`s about talent

In my oppinion its only about Talent . Not everyone can be good designer . You can have degree but they are not important when it comes to designing .

Old 03-08-2012, 12:30 PM

Degree doesn't matter... I've graduated from a college with honors and I know how people learn in college :b ... your best bet is always to go with someone who can deliver the results, and the person who loves what he's doing will often be talented in it because that's why they love it -- and they'll be the ones to give you the best output

Old 03-09-2012, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

One mor thing. Passion for what your doing is important, if you have it, you will work and work till you get better. If your only doing this and thinking about make some few bucks, then dont do it.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I believe, "degree" equals to "proper skills" this time?

The guy with talent, but without proper skills: great ideas+poor technique=fail
The guy with proper skills, but without talent: well-done standard solutions+poor wow-factor=fail
The guy with skills and talent=success.
That's it.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:39 PM

Talent is 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWaltson View Post
How many of you would agree that getting numerous design degrees is useless until you don't have the real natural talent in yourself. Its the inborn talent which makes you successful, especially in the field of graphic design.

However, many of my friends think that studying hard with real determination are the crucial requirements to achieve success, not talent.

Well, my vote goes for “Talent”…let’s see if you guys have valid points to prove your opinion.
Well someone may have a talent but yet not to know in which direction to think so that he can discover his possibilities. Studying and reading about it can help you form some ideas and let your talent get more present than before.

Some1 who get numerous of degrees have to have some kind of will to learn everything he needs to so he can get his degree. That is enough for me, he can't be bad at designing if he put that much effort to learn and understand.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Talent. Experience. Dedication. Plain & simple, don't need no damn degree.

Find your niche, the clients you get keep them close as you can.
I've started in 1999 as a young teenager who wanted to build things that weren't built yet, and since I was broke... didn't know anyone who could do it, I taught myself. After a few hundred websites and thousands of projects I think i did pretty good. I'm still revamping every chance I get

Knowledge is key, but if you don't share it or use it... it's worthless.

PS: If your school is going to give you a job 100% sure, and or going to supply you with clients from the time you graduate then i take it back.... go get a degree.
(school never teaches how to get work).

Old 03-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathman View Post
Hard work and practice will always beat talent. I see it in everything nowadays. Sports, school, and life in general.
Agreed with mathman. It doesn't matter how many degrees you have and how much talent you posses. you can be successive if you are just determent and hard worker in any field.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:43 AM
Latest Blog:
None

if want to successes or want to be famous designer
both should be held

Old 03-27-2012, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I guess you need talent, and to learn the ropes, not necessarily in a school (expensive!), but by checking tutorials online etc.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Talent can become a waste without determination, most importantly if it's used for a wrong purpose.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:36 AM

What I have seen over the years.... give the vote to natural talent......

My second wife...a nurse.....could draw as well as any artist...without any art training...

Had a friend who drew caricatures like a pro...no format training....he used to drink free all night in bars by drawing for patrons......

Old 04-09-2012, 05:55 PM

I am self taught. I see how it could be challenging if you do not have a degree. I believe the school "experience" would broaden your scope and open you up to expand on what you already have. Just my two cents.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Closed Thread