Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-24-2011, 11:55 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Thumbs up A Successful Graphic Designer has Natural Talent or Design Degree?

How many of you would agree that getting numerous design degrees is useless until you don't have the real natural talent in yourself. Its the inborn talent which makes you successful, especially in the field of graphic design.

However, many of my friends think that studying hard with real determination are the crucial requirements to achieve success, not talent.

Well, my vote goes for “Talent”…let’s see if you guys have valid points to prove your opinion.

View Source

Old 04-26-2011, 04:06 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

You can have as many degrees and certifications you can afford the time and money to you, but IMO when it comes down to deciding between one of two designers, I would look at talent. Many designers get degrees and diplomas and for all their worth, their work might pale in comparison to an artist to whom it all comes naturally.

What I generally do, when I look at designers is check their background. Nine times out of ten, a favorite designer will also be an accomplished artist. That, for me, is a major plus because I know that he has a natural talent for new original designs.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:31 PM

I hope it will be more natural, like, fitting in more with the surroundings. People like that I guess. It would be lovely.

[removed]

Last edited by snakeair; 04-27-2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: unrelated link removed

Old 04-28-2011, 11:32 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Talent is more important to grab creativity from things and make it illustrative or designs,
Degree is just make your appearance as a Graphic Designer in front of Designers or in any Designer Firms, Talents is also important for designers.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWaltson View Post
Talent is more important to grab creativity from things and make it illustrative or designs,
Degree is just make your appearance as a Graphic Designer in front of Designers or in any Designer Firms, Talents is also important for designers.
I agree. I recently had myself photoshop certified, and to be honest, I didn't even feel it was really needed. Even though I am currently studying for my diploma in web development and graphic design, I feel that its just adding a title to my name, because I was a designer and artist before I began studying. The diplomas and certificates are basically just the icing on my designing cake.

Talent is really important. Its easy to copy a site design, or design a generic. but to make an awesome unique site is really hard if you don;t have the talent and imagination to back it up.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:12 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by a$h View Post
Interests is the main first-aid for talent....and this thing helps a graphic designer to grab innovative ideas n creativity in his work....so talent helps a lot instead of degrees...but its not necessary that he/she should be a born-designer..
lol naaaa, you don't have to be born to it. You just need imagination, talent, and the knowledge to put it all to use. If you get stuck with trying to implement something, there is always the net, and loads of other designers that can help you in the right direction. IMO that's the best way to go if you're interested in being a designer. From there, if you decide to get more serious, you can start adding titles and diplomas to your name.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

If you go to school there can teach you how to improve yourself in something that you already have, talent, natural talent, born talent and so on. But in school they teach you how to create something faster how to use the correct programs, why not combined one program with another.....most of it there are things that others already tested and find out the result something you need to do even if you are a natural talent.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:15 AM
Banned

Both are good,but hard working, determination and motivation are the by which we can get success.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:49 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I see most of the designers which have not a proper degree but still they think more creative then other designer which have a degree related to graphics design field.
I think creativity is more important.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:40 AM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by logoonlinepros View Post
I see most of the designers which have not a proper degree but still they think more creative then other designer which have a degree related to graphics design field.
I think creativity is more important.
Its one thing to think you're more creative, but its another to actually be proven as more creative. Everyone has the ability to tap into their creative side, but many designers forget that design is about passion and creativity, and in the end, never really tap into their creative reserves.

IMO at the end of the day, it all breaks down to having the knowledge and creativity, and knowing what you want to do with it, that counts. Not the amount of diplomas or prestige schools you studied at.

Old 05-11-2011, 05:10 AM

I agree that to succeed in graphic design industry you need talent. However, I would like to add that a natural talent may not be good enough. You may possess an eye for detail, creativity etc. But all these are some traits which can help you succeed. What can really help you get an edge is a degree. Graphic Arts degrees are not aimed at making you more creative or to help you develop an eye for detail. Benefits of enrolling for such degrees are much more tangible. A degree program in graphic design helps you acquire a variety of skills like using softwares for design, advertising, layout design, packaging design, communication to name a few. All these along with other skills are required for you to be a successful graphic artist. These skills are not inborn and can be acquired only through degree programs. Also, a natural talent needs to be sharpened for it to glow to its full potential. Therefore, I believe that a graphic design degree is what will help you succeed along with a natural flair.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 05-11-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Talent isn't born, it's cultivated

Old 05-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

I think its all about professionalism towards your work that how sincere you are with your work. so if you have natural talent then you need to focus to touch the peaks of the career. nothing is impossible without true hard work.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:07 PM

There is an element of talent to any art profession, no different for graphic design than for an illustrator but to achieve any success you need to put your thinking cap on and apply the raw talent.

School helps immensely but obviously that's not the path for many, and most impassioned designers don't need someone to point things out to them, they just get it.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I agree with you. Talent that should be in a creative way can do better for a design.

Old 06-03-2011, 01:01 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Talent plus self motivation through your work & skills is the main thing to prove your self in front of your competitors.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Usually, I'd go for those who has acquired degrees in graphic and web design since they're more knowledgeable in what's better in the field. I have met a lot of talented artists but the problem I usually encounter with them is:

1. Oftentimes, they will get offended if you try to ask for a rework.
2. It takes them a lot of time to complete a single project..

..most especially in creating a website. So, if you have a lot of clients, usually I ask them to use WebStudio website builder because most of them are not looking for a well-personalized design but wants something that will generate money right away.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It is good to have both.having enough credentials can boost ones expertise. In born talent + added education is a sure key to be successful in your career.

cheers!!!
=)

Old 07-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

One of my friends was inspired to pursue graphics design, went to college and earned a degree. He is a naturally-talented artist, but he lacks certain internet skills to build his own business. He is stuck working as a designer for different companies and has hit a plateau. Now he is going back to design school for another degree.

He can make great graphics, but isn't the best when it comes to websites and web development.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hard work and practice will always beat talent. I see it in everything nowadays. Sports, school, and life in general.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Closed Thread