Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Lightbulb My new Website Header - Feedback

Hey everyone

I don't pretend to think I am any great graphic designer but as I am a 21 year old who started to earn money online with an investment of just £50 I think I have done well by any scale.

I offer basic website headers on Fiverr.com as I seem to be able to make these very quick usually between 10-30 minutes so the money actually works out to be OK as they are usually just pretty basic colours may a picture and some text (I even usually give then 2 backgrounds each with 2 different text styles so they really do get value for money).

Back to the point lol

I have created a new website header for my main website and just though I would show you guys and listen to some feedback.

I don't pretend I am great with graphics but my sites make money so I must be doing something right and I don't outsource any work I do everything thing from creation, testing, content, seo, linkbuilding, graphics etc.

Here it is:

Old 12-12-2011, 03:43 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

No comments at all Is it really that bad lol

Old 12-12-2011, 04:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well, my opinion: Looks like a 10 minute job.

I am no graphics artist (yet xD) so I really can't give you top notch tips, just my gut feelings.

I would use a lighter shade of blue, yours is really hard on the eye.
Don't know what font you are using, but it looks a bit 90s, if you knwo what I mean

And my try on it, just quick work with GIMP

Old 12-12-2011, 05:05 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF View Post
Well, my opinion: Looks like a 10 minute job.

I am no graphics artist (yet xD) so I really can't give you top notch tips, just my gut feelings.

I would use a lighter shade of blue, yours is really hard on the eye.
Don't know what font you are using, but it looks a bit 90s, if you knwo what I mean

And my try on it, just quick work with GIMP

It was a ten minute job and I am a complete novice when it comes to graphics I don't pretend to know what I'm on about lol.

What is gimp???

I do like what you have done with my header

What software do you recommend I use for creating my headers?

Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

What software? Well if you have the money or are OK with pirating then Photoshop.

Quote:
What is gimp???
The GNU Image Manipulation Program - It is a free picture editing tool that is almost as powerful as Photoshop but takes some time getting used to.

I also use PaintDotNet for quick and dirty editing. Works fine for me.

Quote:
t was a ten minute job and I am a complete novice when it comes to graphics I don't pretend to know what I'm on about lol.
Very good. Met some people that thought just because they have Photoshop they are class A graphic designers. Well, I am also not good at it, but I hope to improve. But remember: The software is only one part of the deal.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF View Post
What software? Well if you have the money or are OK with pirating then Photoshop.

The GNU Image Manipulation Program - It is a free picture editing tool that is almost as powerful as Photoshop but takes some time getting used to.

I also use PaintDotNet for quick and dirty editing. Works fine for me.

Very good. Met some people that thought just because they have Photoshop they are class A graphic designers. Well, I am also not good at it, but I hope to improve. But remember: The software is only one part of the deal.
I will have a play with both of those programs thanks

Yea I know the type your on about it like all these noobs with SENUKE and Scrapebox who are creating 10 million links a day and think they are now SEO experts lmao, I see software as being there to help and assist you with your SEO, graphics etc don't mean because you got the best you know how to use it effectively

Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Hey Bud, no need to look any other apps to create good looking header, I assume your using photoshop, and I believed photoshop is the best for creating header/graphic, you only need to learn it very well... a lots of online tuts there,,, all I can, you need more practice... good luck!

Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for your advice I will start learning photoshop and hopefully in time I will be making great website headers

Old 01-03-2012, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

but before you learn to use photoshop you needed to be familiarize with it first there are a lot of tutorials out there for the meantime

Old 01-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I understand , I am usually very good at picking up new software and as it happens I was watching a selection of video tutorials suggestions by a member of a black hat forum I visit and I can remember learning a lot as well as skills that can be used with lots of other programs.

Just out of interest is there extra fonts, styles, colours and so on that can be downloaded for PhotoShop or does it all come in the package I'm basically asking if there are addons out there as well

Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Yes Photoshop

The color needs to be a bit toned down. The effect on the type makes it hard to read. Great work on the little images. Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator is pretty much all inclusive and there is an abundant amount of information out there and free plug-ins to use. Definitely look into it. Keep it up.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It is not that good IMO.

It is quite basic and I can see that you are not using Advanced stuffs here

Old 01-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I like the header without the emboss effect. It still looks a little bit dated but not as much as the old one. Great job! Use the last one for sure

Old 01-10-2012, 04:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

To answer your question, there are tons of fonts.. 1000s. I've got about 2000 fonts on my computer alone. You can find them at dafont.com and plenty of other sites, just google fonts. There are free ones and commercial ones.

As for your header, it is indeed basic. Looks like a gradient background with white boxes either erased or using outter glows around the images. I also don't see the point in starting each word with a comma and ending it with an exclamation point. They should be read together, as "Honest, Factual reviews" not 3 different words.

The bevel effect on the font is a bit hard on the eyes and the colours clash a bit. You're better off using less effects on the fonts if you don't know how to make them blend in well.

It's also not very well laid out. Like, no structure. Think it'd be better if you organized it a bit better.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 AM

I am unable to see your image, I would try to give some CnC, but unfortunately I can't see it. D:

Old 02-08-2012, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Dear sir (jelderkin)
As you have posted the header of your website. Its seems well and more you can do what just try to change the color combination of background and texts. What you need to do, You need to do just some modification first change the background and text colors, but before doing this check out your whole website themes. Your header must match your website themes to show the well clarity and the designing of your website.

Always try to put the text form top, you don't need to use the margin from top as much you have used with your header.

So far the question of GIMP, it is the software as like the Photoshop. And because of its popularity is low than the Photoshop, you surely can use the pirate version also.

Please write more if you have any issue>>

Hope you can create more better now......

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM

I can now see the image, and I would like to give my feedback. Personally I think that it is a bit large. Overall the design is a bit "Thick" but it is really not bad. I would give it a 6/10. Try to slim it down and it would be a 8/10. I do enjoy the simplicity though.

Old 02-15-2012, 08:43 AM

The look is quite dated, you could try looking at some photo shop tutorials or even finding someones that you like the look of and try and model your design around that.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

GMFs header is a lot better than the original one.. cheers for you mate.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It kind of looks like it was made in Paint. I highly recommend you go look at some professional ones and some tutorials to find some cooler text effects along with better image manipulation methods.

Hosted by: Myhosting.com

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Closed Thread