Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Graphic Design Forum Discuss and share graphic design and multimedia topics and projects, including ads, banners, logos, etc. Be creative. Be original. Show us what you got. Constructive criticism only!

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 04-24-2012, 05:13 AM

Photoshop for making logo?

I know that Phostoshop is good for almost anything. But I wanted to ask you is it good for making logos? There is so much softwares online that can help me with making logo, but I don't know are they good enough for that.

If you have any tips about making logos, reply to this thread.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Contributing Member

You could use photoshop for it, but designer use illustrator for design but adobe tools are expensive. About 600$ for Illustrator CS5 and about 700$ for Photoshop CS5 (full license).

For beginners, I suggest that you use free alternatives, like Inkscape (Illustrator) or GIMP (Photoshop).

Old 04-24-2012, 07:09 AM

I agree with GMF - you'll want to go with software that is more focused for creating vector based graphics so that you can easily resize it to suit whatever media you plan on using it on. I'd use Illustrator, or possibly even outsource it to 99designs.com.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:17 AM

it depends if you already know how to use photoshop and yes, brushing in photoshop is more fun rather than painting in normal ways.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokesteves View Post
it depends if you already know how to use photoshop and yes, brushing in photoshop is more fun rather than painting in normal ways.
Well I know the photoshop basics, I like to work on Photoshop I have Photoshop CS5 installed on my computer. I want to make small and simple logo.

Also do you know how can I get HQ image, because everytime I make some image on Photoshop and when I save it (as png) it seems to loose some of quality, maybe Im imagining but if Im not can you tell me how can I keep image to be smooth and clean when I save it to my computer?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

You can make vector images in photoshop, but these don't have the quality of the ones that Illustrator make. I don't really know how you make one in photoshop, but it should be possible.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF View Post
You can make vector images in photoshop, but these don't have the quality of the ones that Illustrator make. I don't really know how you make one in photoshop, but it should be possible.
Yes make sure you create your logo in Vector image as well. If you plan to use on shirts and other printing methods. Also keep in mind print media and web media use different types of graphics. In print you what the highest quality, in web you want the fastest loading. So make sure to build your logo in a few different forms for overall use.

Old 04-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Donka, so you understand the difference between vector images and using Photoshop:

Vector images
Quote:
Vector graphics is the use of geometrical primitives such as points, lines, curves, and shapes or polygon(s), which are all based on mathematical expressions, to represent images in computer graphics. "Vector", in this context, implies more than a straight line.

The parameters of objects are stored and can be later modified. This means that moving, scaling, rotating, filling etc. doesn't degrade the quality of a drawing. Moreover, it is usual to specify the dimensions in device-independent units, which results in the best possible rasterization on raster devices.

Vector art is ideal for printing. Since the art is made from a series of mathematical curves it will print very crisply even when resized. For instance, one can print a vector logo on a small sheet of copy paper, and then enlarge the same vector logo to billboard size and keep the same crisp quality. A low-resolution raster graphic would blur or pixelate excessively if it were enlarged from business card size to billboard size. (The precise resolution of a raster graphic necessary for high-quality results depends on the viewing distance; e.g., a billboard may still appear to be of high quality even at low resolution if the viewing distance is large enough.)

Vector graphics
Adobe Illustrator creates vector images. So do a few other programs.

Raster graphics
Quote:
Raster graphics are resolution dependent. They cannot scale up to an arbitrary resolution without loss of apparent quality. This property contrasts with the capabilities of vector graphics, which easily scale up to the quality of the device rendering them. Raster graphics deal more practically than vector graphics with photographs and photo-realistic images, while vector graphics often serve better for typesetting or for graphic design.
Raster graphics
Painter, Photoshop, MS Paint, and GIMP are raster graphic programs.

Hopefully now you understand why people are telling you that you should do your logos in a vector graphics program instead of Photoshop.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Hopefully now you understand why people are telling you that you should do your logos in a vector graphics program instead of Photoshop.
That's a bit misleading as Photoshop can also do vector. Math is math.

While some would [and do] argue up and down that Photoshop is not a vector program they would all be missing the point which is, the pen tool, coupled with paths and converting text to shapes makes the short work of vector assets in Photoshop - which is not a comparison to Illustrator. There is a reason they are separate applications.

Illustrator can make short work of complex vector while Photoshop is focused on raster but you can still save files in Photoshop with vector assets [as PSD or EPS with vector data] that will retain all the information a printer would need if they have to scale the vector data.

Quote:
Also do you know how can I get HQ image, because everytime I make some image on Photoshop and when I save it (as png) it seems to loose some of quality, maybe Im imagining but if Im not can you tell me how can I keep image to be smooth and clean when I save it to my computer?
Nobody could answer that without knowing what you mean by 'loose some of quality'. What quality? Color depth? Are you up-scaling it?

Quote:
There's a line of crap right there.

If you don't know how then don't spoil the pool with blanket statements. "You can make vector images in photoshop", yes, but these don't have the quality of the ones that Illustrator make? Ugh.

If I make a vector circle in Photoshop and I make a vector circle in Illustrator are you seriously going to tell me that my vector Photoshop circle is of less quality because it came from Photoshop? Of course not. You couldn't tell the difference.

Quote:
Yes make sure you create your logo in Vector image as well. If you plan to use on shirts and other printing methods. Also keep in mind print media and web media use different types of graphics. In print you what the highest quality, in web you want the fastest loading. So make sure to build your logo in a few different forms for overall use.
This is exactly correct.

Always build the main assets in vector [in PS or Illy] but you should always make derivatives from it. Stick with PNG on alpha then you can pull from the ones you made to make the jpg with background colors or as part of a template etc. I find three sizes works best from roughly 2k down through to 1k, 500px and 100px but your mileage might vary.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:43 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaRascal View Post
There's a line of crap right there.

If you don't know how then don't spoil the pool with blanket statements. "You can make vector images in photoshop", yes, but these don't have the quality of the ones that Illustrator make? Ugh.

What I meant with "quality" is that you don't have the power and control of Illustrator with Photoshop. No need to bash someone when he just tried to be helpful

Last edited by GMF; 04-24-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:27 AM
Artist & Motion Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMF View Post
What I meant with "quality" is that you don't have the power and control of Illustrator with Photoshop. No need to bash someone when he just tried to be helpful
I read what you wrote and that's what my response was to. Some people cant make the contextual connection to what you're saying if they're not privy to what you know and nothing about what you wrote is correct if it's to be taken as as you wrote it.

Quote:
You can make vector images in photoshop, but these don't have the quality of the ones that Illustrator make.
Which is a line of crap.

Quote:
I don't really know how you make one in photoshop, but it should be possible.
From someone who confessed they don't even know better.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Photoshop Is the best Software for almost all the thing ..!! But try to design your logo of Adobe Illustrator is will be more attractive try it ..!!

Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 PM
Artist & Motion Designer

I think you will agree, kateson, the program won't create a quality product on its own. Only the artist using it.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

Photoshop is okay for making logos but Illustrator is better for vectors which most logos are based off of. The 3D rendering on Illustrator is better than Photoshop in my opinion as well.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Contributing Member

Use gimp for now if you can't afford photoshop CS5. And I totally agree that the software is very expensive. However, you might be able to buy an older version of photoshop such as CS1, CS2, or CS3 for a much cheaper price if you're on a really tight budget. Just search the search engine you might be able to find something affordable.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM
Contributing Member

Adobe cs6 is now available check it out has some great new features.

Here is how i design logos
First i look on the internet for inspiration and find basically what I'm looking for.
Then i search on the internet for the color scheme I'm after.
If you find something you like copy it in to illustrator.

Now when you go to design your logo you can use the color picker on the picture you copied in to illustrator.

From their i just let my creative juices take over and start creating multiple logos until i get what i won't.

Hope this helps

Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM

If you can afford it, stick with the industry standard Adobe CS line. CS6 is out now so CS5 should be cheaper.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

I recently had a similar conversation with an experienced designer, and she told me that Photoshop is usually used for that purpose. She said some of her colleagues even disregard those not using it somehow.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 AM

i prefer to use photoshop for some basic logo design. however i noticed that sometimes the typography in photoshop tends to become quite grainy.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

I recommended you to choose Illustrator its best and even all professional designers use this software to design vector logo.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Graphic Design Forum

Closed Thread