Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 06-20-2009, 06:25 PM

My articles and pictures were completely ripped off

So I have a crappy little fishing blog, it is nothing special but I did write the articles myself. I have been completely ripped off down to my links and pictures from my articles. I got a pingback and went to the new site and there are my articles, they have been ran through a grammer change software and are hard to read but they are mine. Is there anything I can do? Like I said my blog is not great but I spend real time working on those articles. My site is
www.fishnutsblog.info I will not give the site ripping me off as I do not want to promote his site. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

You can use copyscape, I think, to protect your content. Or place a code to your site that prohibits "right-clicking" to prevent copying.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Quote:
A cease and desist (also called C & D) is an order or request to halt an activity, or else face legal action. The recipient of the cease-and-desist may be an individual or an organization.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cease_and_desist
You can send a Cease and Desist notice to them. Each web host and domain registrar has it's own rules how the letter needs to be written so check what their service providers require.

Disabling the right click does not work. It only deters the novice web surfer.

Once you sort this out, there are different services you can sign up for to monitor copies of your web pages being made.

You can also look at your web hosting stats to see which images have been hotlinked then track down the offender.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlbasictutor View Post
Silly me I didn't know about the C&D notice.
Thanks for the link there htmlbasictutor! I learned something new again today

Old 06-22-2009, 04:26 AM

Yeah,

I thought about copyscape as I just learned about it last week but it appears he ranthe articles through a grammer changing tool to prevent that kind of analysis. But heck he has a picture of my living room on his blog. I notified the other blog owners he ripped off. How do I figure out his host? His domain was registered through godaddy but I cannot figure out if that is the host? The domain registrar information is hidden through a privacy service of course. I am kind of new to this so I do not know all the tools and tricks yet but I am googling them and searching here too.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Administrator

If you figured out the site is registered with GoDaddy, you should be able to see where the site is hosted also.

Look it up in GoDaddy's WHOIS info.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:15 PM
Contributing Member

well lets say if you already figure out his site host you need to talk to the site host itself on some serious copyright infringement that he make.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

You could link to your site in your content, that way when your site gets scraped you get backlinks pointing to your site. (That is one heck of a boat by the way! I wana go on that!)

Old 06-23-2009, 05:33 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
You can send a Cease and Desist notice to them. Each web host and domain registrar has it's own rules how the letter needs to be written so check what their service providers require.

Once you sort this out, there are different services you can sign up for to monitor copies of your web pages being made.

You can also look at your web hosting stats to see which images have been hotlinked then track down the offender.

My friend also has the same problem. But mainly with the images in his sites. What he did was he change the URL of the images and changed it to something nasty... The new images showed in the site that hotlinking his images. The owner removed the images.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:46 AM

I would try sending them a nice e-mail asking to take it down. Sometimes that's all it takes, other times it takes a little more effort.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickora View Post
You could link to your site in your content, that way when your site gets scraped you get backlinks pointing to your site. (That is one heck of a boat by the way! I wana go on that!)
I've had my pages copied word for word so I always make sure there's a link to my site in the content. If I find hotlinked photos I have a little fun: I rename the photo and change my code to the new name, then make an ad for my site and name it the old name. Advertising!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmySueN View Post
If I find hotlinked photos I have a little fun
I normally just redirect the hotlinked images to http://www.fbi.gov/

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Contributing Member

This is really a big problem. People are copying content. You don't need to worry about it if your content is really yours, and original. Because all search engines have duplicate content filter and they will filter the second copy of your content to be not used in index.

But,

if a real visitor is visiting you, you will notice that the guy who copied u is profiting from it.

So,
Write a Calm email to him and ask him to take down the content.

thats it..
Thanks
Sandeep

Old 10-07-2009, 06:19 PM

I accept: This is really a big problem. People are copying content. You don't need to worry about it if your content is really yours, and original. Because all search engines have duplicate content filter and they will filter the second copy of your content to be not used in index.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 10-07-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:

that is looking promising to me. You can give a try to it.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

you should add a watermark on your pictures and contact the guy that stole your articles and pictures to threaten him of lawsuits if he doesn't erase it from his website

Old 10-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

hotlinking

Quote:

Sorry if this is really blonde, but how do you see the stats on people hotlinking from you?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickora View Post
Sorry if this is really blonde, but how do you see the stats on people hotlinking from you?
Look at your web hosting stats. Where it shows files accessed. If there are direct links to images then they most likely have hotlinked to the image.

Old 10-19-2009, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

I got something that may help you out.

Most likely this site is "scraping" your site... a little program runs out to your site, grabs data, and automatically builds the other site. I doubt someone is manually doing this.

So if there is a blind thief out there lets trick him!

In your css add
Code:
p.hideme {display:hidden;}
On the bottom of each page add..
Code:
<p class="hideme">The article is originally from <a href="http://fishnutsblog.info/">Fish Nuts Blog</a></p>
On your pages the link wont show up but on the thiefs it will! Since its automated he will unwittingly promote you.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seotheist View Post
I got something that may help you out.

Most likely this site is "scraping" your site... a little program runs out to your site, grabs data, and automatically builds the other site. I doubt someone is manually doing this.

So if there is a blind thief out there lets trick him!

In your css add
Code:
p.hideme {display:hidden;}
On the bottom of each page add..
Code:
<p class="hideme">The article is originally from <a href="http://fishnutsblog.info/">Fish Nuts Blog</a></p>
On your pages the link wont show up but on the thiefs it will! Since its automated he will unwittingly promote you.

Good luck!
That's pretty good, but more and more thiefs are stealing sentences from your article pages. Do you have a better code solution?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues