Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 AM

Red face Other sites are coping my content from my website

Hi guys,
I noticed that some other sites are coping my content from my website (netjobathome). I am glad they like my stuff but I was wondering what effect this can have on my sites. Some link back to me and some dont.
how can i protect this copyright..

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 08-30-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member

you dont need to, their posts doesnt worth a penny, as they copy from you (google know that)

Old 08-30-2009, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Smile

If they edit, then it's a rewrite, and even though the basic content theme remains the same, it'll appear as unique, and you can't do anything.

It's a problem plaguing the content writing job scenario but there isn't any intelligent software that can detect if an article is actually unique or made unique by rewriting. Copyscape is quite monotonous in their approach and check for copied terms and words to award an originality result. As such, there's nothing to be done if others are rewriting your content and passing it off as original content.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with intro and Nabanita.

What you can do is ask those webmasters who copy your content to at least link back to your site or to the original post.
Further more why don't you create a CC licence and post it on your site , so by that you can let anyone know that you don't share your content or if you do they have to link back to you etc...

Old 08-30-2009, 01:33 PM
Administrator

Look at our copyright information sticky post for information and resources regarding copyright issues.

If it a a blatant copy you can issue a Cease and Desist letter to the site owner, their web hosting and their domain registrar. DMCA Contacts

Old 08-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by web View Post
They can easily edit. How will google know then?
they must change lots of words to trick google
if they change pasuses, they didnt change a thing, or if they delete some words, again, they didnt change a thing

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 AM
Contributing Member

ask him politely to add alink to your website or to delete the content

Old 08-31-2009, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentin123 View Post
ask him politely to add alink to your website or to delete the content
I did this on one occassion when one of my ezinearticles was copied without the link to my site. Asked the gentleman in question to please take the page down which he did with an emailed apology

But the truth is there are so many sites copying our original content without giving us the credit.
How do you chase them all down

Thank Google for first indexed wins the race

Old 09-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned

report it to thier hosting..

Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

use www.copyscape.com to check content copy And put copyscape banner to threat user to coping your content. Yes copyscape do not provide any legal action help but still you can prevent few content stealer by giving such threat.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabanita View Post
If they edit, then it's a rewrite, and even though the basic content theme remains the same, it'll appear as unique, and you can't do anything.

It's a problem plaguing the content writing job scenario but there isn't any intelligent software that can detect if an article is actually unique or made unique by rewriting. Copyscape is quite monotonous in their approach and check for copied terms and words to award an originality result. As such, there's nothing to be done if others are rewriting your content and passing it off as original content.
That's true, and machine can tell the different between that rewrited and original.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

yeah google is the one who will punished them for duplicating your content =)

Old 11-23-2009, 06:40 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabanita View Post
It would then be considered a derivative work and still infringe on your intellectual property rights. Visit copyright.gov for more info.

How much do I have to change in order to claim copyright in someone else's work?
Only the owner of copyright in a work has the right to prepare, or to authorize someone else to create, a new version of that work. Accordingly, you cannot claim copyright to another's work, no matter how much you change it, unless you have the owner's consent. See Circular 14, Copyright Registration for Derivative Works.

You can attempt to have access to the content blocked by the host. I've found that it basically comes down to the hosting company.

Check the whois and see if there is any public registration information available -persons name and administrative email address.

Also check and see who is the online service provider hosting the content. It is usually against the Acceptable Use Policy or Terms of Service for most hosting companies to infringe on another's copyright.

If its a US company, you can check the US copyright office and see if they have a registered DMCA agent on file (where to send your complaint). Search Google for - Copyright Office Service Provider Agents

If they are not listed, check the service providers web site for one, or an abuse address.

If you file a formal complaint against the offending party, the hosting company will generally block access to the content in question.

I have a templated email that I send to the offending party outlining the infringement and asking them to remove the content within a specified period and I send a copy to their hosting company.

If there is no response to the initial email, I file a formal complaint with the hosting company. The content is generally blocked within 48hrs. It's worked for me almost every time.

This is based on my personal experience and does not constitute legal advice.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:09 PM
v7n Mentor

That looks like "sticky" material. Glad to see you over here CReed.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxuro View Post
I agree with intro and Nabanita.

What you can do is ask those webmasters who copy your content to at least link back to your site or to the original post.
Further more why don't you create a CC licence and post it on your site , so by that you can let anyone know that you don't share your content or if you do they have to link back to you etc...

Well said.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjobathome View Post
Hi guys,
I noticed that some other sites are coping my content from my website (netjobathome). I am glad they like my stuff but I was wondering what effect this can have on my sites. Some link back to me and some dont.
Don't worry you are the original and they are the duplicate. So that means the they are the one who will be penalize by google. Or you can ask them to link back on your site as a favor in copying your content.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:15 AM

instead of worrying you should be happy that someone copies you. i heard from someone "people copy you when they want to become like you"
these duplicates in contents are giving no benefit to them.

Old 12-01-2009, 01:24 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContentSpooling View Post
Don't worry you are the original and they are the duplicate. So that means the they are the one who will be penalize by google.
I wouldn't be so sure on that. Search engines can have a difficult time in determining which content to filter out. This is one of the biggest reasons why I would agressively protect your copyright.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjobathome View Post
Hi guys,

contact http://www.copyscape.com/ to prevent your contents theft by others.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Is there any way to make that site remove the copyrighted content from the site? Do we have to contact the site owner or the web hosting company where the site is hosted.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues