Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-23-2009, 09:23 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Using another company's logo on my website

Hello,

I've a question about legal issues of using third company logo on my website. I've seen the thread about pictures copyright, but I'm sure it's a different issue.

I have a list of materials used in our products. All of them have registered trademarks. I'd like to use the matherial trademark with a short description, for example: "this product uses "GoreTex XCR" manufactured by W.L.Gore Associates Inc., then short description and link to the GoreTEX home page.

Do I have to ask all of the companies for permission or it'll be enough if I provide an information such: [i]All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.... and the list of trademarks and their owners[i].

BR

Old 11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Hello,

I've a question about legal issues of using third company logo on my website. I've seen the thread about pictures copyright, but I'm sure it's a different issue.

I have a list of materials used in our products. All of them have registered trademarks. I'd like to use the matherial trademark with a short description, for example: "this product uses "GoreTex XCR" manufactured by W.L.Gore Associates Inc., then short description and link to the GoreTEX home page.

Do I have to ask all of the companies for permission or it'll be enough if I provide an information such: [i]All trademarks are owned by their respective companies.... and the list of trademarks and their owners[i].

BR
It's ok to use logos of any company and avoid legal issues in Copyright violation just as long as you give proper credit to the company or provide link for the original owner. For example, if you plan on posting a (x-company) logo to your site, asking permission for their rights won't be neccessary just as long as you give the resource credit to them by posting a link to the (x-company)'s official website.

Here's are some details of Copy Right Aspects of Hyper Linking and Framing and some details on Copy Right Aspects of Downloading and Streaming

Hope this helps.

Last edited by audrina22; 11-23-2009 at 04:56 PM.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
ValueWeb

Awesome, thanks for the info

Old 11-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Great! Thank you very much for explanation

Old 11-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

We use some logos on a review site for those companies. Do we still need to link to the companies? I see this every day on the web with no link out.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:17 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponPromoCodes View Post
Awesome, thanks for the info
Quote:
Great! Thank you very much for explanation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul999 View Post
this was very helpful audrina
Welcome!Anything I could do to help out.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 AM
Contributing Member

Although legally you may not have to, you should still ask permission and be sure not to misrepresent them or you could run into legal issues.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:18 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCaD View Post
Although legally you may not have to, you should still ask permission and be sure not to misrepresent them or you could run into legal issues.
Yes, asking permission to the original owner for it's copyright is still an option we should not exclude. Having their blessing or knowledge is a good way of showing more respect to the owner's part.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

audrina is right. You need to ask permission first for the owner before your use their logo.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Using the original poster's example of product, one could go to the trademarked product name website and do a little research:
Quote:
Trademark Protection

Gore trademarks are registered with trademark offices around the world. They may only be used in conjunction with the sale of top-quality goods produced by Gore or with the express permission of Gore. The Gore corporate logo can only be used by W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. and its subsidiaries. It may only be used by customers or others as applied by Gore to promotional material or products supplied by us. The proper notation for our trademarks and other information about them can be obtained from our Corporate Legal Offices in the USA (Tel.: 800 / 441-9972) and Germany (Tel.: +49 / 89-4612-2501). Please contact us if you have any questions or suggestions.

Legal Information - W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc. site
I did have to dig a bit to find this, but it was there.

Anyone (big or small) that has gone to the trouble to trademark their stuff is going to be protective of how their trademarks are used. And you would too if you invested the time and money into trademarking something and building a brand based on that trademark.

Some will give specific instructions on how you may use their trademarks without specifically asking and as long as you abide by their rules you won't get in trouble.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:10 AM

for a short time, there should no problem.

Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 AM

Well it really depends upon the copyright notice of a company. It's better to take permission before hand rather than getting into unnecessary legal issues.

Old 11-27-2009, 12:03 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Extreme! Thank you very greatly for interpretation

Keep It Users.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCaD View Post
It's little complicated because I'd like to use a "Cordura" logo. Cordura logo is owned by Invista, but they sell licenses for manufacturing to other companies. I buy Cordura in such company and I've right to use "cordura" logo on my products. But to have written permission from the logo owner, it should be issued not by the fabric manufacturer, but by Invista. I've written to them twice, but there's no answer.
Guys from the licensed cordura factory have said to me that it's not a problem to use the logo on my site, but from legal point of view they can't make any decisions.

Fortunately they have all the necessary information right here: http://www.hangtags.invista.com/asp/...guidelines.asp

Last edited by Mixer; 11-27-2009 at 03:29 PM.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Guys from the licensed cordura factory have said to me that it's not a problem to use the logo on my site, but from legal point of view they can't make any decisions.
That's right.

You need to get permission from the trademarked logo owner.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlbasictutor View Post
I did have to dig a bit to find this, but it was there.
W.L. Gore was only an example

We use Cordura - and the information are on the Invista's web page as I've mentioned above.

We use also threads based on the W.L. Gore technologies, but all of them are manufactured by another company so we've already asked them to use thread logo on our web site, and the W.L.Gore logo is a part of the thread logo - I'm sure they have all necessary agreements

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues