Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 03-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Taxes

Hi, I live in Canada and when i sign up as affiliate or on other sites, they ask for informations. They ask for SSN, however i dont live in US, I live in Canada. How will this be all done so they report what i make on my income taxes? thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

You need to be discussing that with the company, not on a message board.

But I believe Canada has what they call a "social insurance number" that you;re supposed to use.

But again, that's a question you're supposed to be asking the employer as they're under a legal obligation to collect the correct information from you.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

There are some new rules that went into effect, the first of the year I think, that require a US federal tax id for out of country payee's. This is just to prove that you are not subject to US Federal tax.

The company paying you is not allowed the deduction without the proper number on file.

What if any reporting occurs to your home country is well beyond my knowledge.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Was wondering why I was finding a lot of discussion about Canadian citizens getting US SSNs.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yeah I do have social insurance number but i have no idea if i can put it in the '' SSN'' box as its different as that is the number us residents use. thanks for the help though

Old 03-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

That's why you should be talking to the company. Depends on how they want to handle it.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazal1990 View Post
Yeah I do have social insurance number but i have no idea if i can put it in the '' SSN'' box as its different as that is the number us residents use. thanks for the help though
I am fairly certain that the id number needs to be issued by the US. If I have time later I will try to pull and post a link here in the forum.

EDIT: What you need is an ITIN. This is the number you provide in lieu of a FICA number to US based companies.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p515.pdf explains the general rules

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1915.pdf this is what you need to read. How to get an ITIN

Last edited by ScriptMan; 03-27-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Old 03-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Administrator

Consult your accountant. Mine told me I only pay income tax in Canada.
Quote:
Unlike the United States, (which taxes individuals based on their citizenship) Canada taxes individuals based on their residency. Therefore all residents of Canada are required to pay tax on worldwide income earned in a particular calendar year. For income tax purposes, residents of Canada include individuals who permanently reside in Canada, whether as citizens or landed immigrants of Canada. A Canadian resident who leaves Canada on a temporary basis, with the intention to return to Canada in the near future, continues to be considered a resident of Canada for income tax purposes. As a resident of Canada, he or she is required to file an income tax return in Canada every year and is required to report worldwide income earned and pay Canadian taxes on this worldwide income....

...To assist in the understanding of certain United States income tax terminology, consider the following definitions:

Resident aliens - individuals who are not United States citizens who have moved to the United States on a temporary basis to either work or attend school. Resident aliens are taxed in the United States on worldwide income.

Non-resident aliens - individuals who are not United States citizens and who do not reside in the United States. Non-resident aliens are only taxed on United States source income, such as employment income, interest, dividends, royalties and income effectively connected with a United States trade or business. ...
Overview of Tax Considerations for Canadians in the United States - Chang & Boos is an internationally recognized law firm practicing exclusively in the field of United States and Canadian immigration law. It currently maintains offices in Toronto (Ontario), Calgary (Alberta), Manhattan (New York), and Bellingham (Washington) [midway between Seattle, Washington and Vancouver, British Columbia].

Your initial question was about affiliates and a like. I don't think (IMHO) you qualify a non-resident according to the above in this case.

Again, consult your accountant and lawyer.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 03-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

Tutor, we are, I assume from the initial post dealing with US tax laws and not Canadian tax laws.

Effective 01-01-10 US businesses may not pay any person anywhere in the world and deduct that payment as a business expense unless the payee has submitted a US TIN or ITIN.

Obviously the IRS has no power over people from other countries and may or may not share information but by golly they have US businesses by the B****. So if you want to get paid, you dance through the hoops.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues