Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The copyright statement at bottom of a website

I see a lot of "Copyright 2010 by yaddayadda" but I've never seen it explained.

A) is it necessary
B) if so, where do you register for a copyright?

It seems to me most people just throw it up there without registering for a copyrighted website.

Or perhaps I am misunderstood. Can someone please explain this?

Old 04-29-2010, 01:21 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A big thank you to whoever moved this. For some reason I couldn't find the legal forums (maybe because I am very tired!)

Old 04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator

We had a lawyer hanging out here yesterday. Let's see if he comes back today.

In the meantime, did you look through our Copyright Resources?

Where are you?

Where is the server physically located?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Copyright statements are a hollow gesture.

According to the Berne Convention copyright is inherent in the work itself.

Many feel copyright has become overly restrictive and
most work on copyright of late has been to create less restrictive
forms of copyright. see: Creative Commons

Rabble Park

Old 04-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

What Rabble said is 100% true:
Quote:
According to the Berne Convention copyright is inherent in the work itself.
But I have the notice anyway because many of the people who steal and spin content may not be aware of the the rules of the Berne Convention. Many of them are Third world people just trying to make a buck to feed the seven kids.

By telling them right upfront I will not feel bad if I bust them stealing my stuff.

Registering a copyright does make the enforcement slightly easier, (like a book), but isn't worth the effort or expense for web pages.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:17 AM

As scriptman and rabble said, you already own the copyright to your work, registration is just a way of proving it in case you ever run into any legal issues. Placing a copyright notice at the end of your page is a method of informing visitors to your website that they do not have the right or the permission to use your work. You do not need to register your copyright in order to use a copyright notice.

However, if you do want further protection, I'd recommend http://www.digiprove.com/ where you can register the copyright of your work. It's a service that takes the digital fingerprint of a file and sends you a time stamped certificate to prove your ownership of the work. Have a look and see if it interests you: http://www.digiprove.com/copyright_for_websites.aspx

Old 04-30-2010, 07:07 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
By telling them right upfront I will not feel bad if I bust them stealing my stuff.

Registering a copyright does make the enforcement slightly easier, (like a book), but isn't worth the effort or expense for web pages.
Yes. I have toyed with placing copyright statements on pages for the same reason. However, since I use a reasonable amount of javascript on my web pages and also have embedded materials, I decided attempting to claim copyright to to a page would be disingenuous at best.

I would probably feel differantly were there anything on my pages that I was actually trying to sell, like themes, graphics or something.

Basically, I don't have anything I think anyone would want to steal.
But, if they do ... and make money with it ...
I WANT MY ROYALTIES DAMN IT!

Rabble Park

Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 AM
v7n Mentor

When in doubt, put the copyright symbol on the page. It can at least act as a reminder, or prompt an inhibiting second thought, to those who aren't aware of inherent copyright.

But, as everyone here already said, whether the symbol is there or not, any creative work in a fixed medium is subject to copyright (this includes web page designs, photographs, dances, videos of dances, speeches, videos of speeches, etc., etc.). Some people have learned the hard way about infringement. The lucky ones pay $5,000 or less, the really unlucky ones can pay millions.

Though I also find copyright unnecessarily restrictive and a little too heavy handed, I take zero chances and create all of my own graphics and pictures if I ever need to.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 AM
Contributing Member

Hey! Thanks for the poster.
Actually I'm looking for the relevant information on copyright statement.
Glad to see here.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

A copyright is the exclusive property right granted to the author or creator of original works including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and certain other intellectual works.

The way in which copyright protection is secured is frequently misunderstood. No publication or registration or other action in the Copyright Office is required to secure copyright. There are, however, certain definite advantages to registration. Also, before an infringement suit may be filed in court, registration is necessary for works of U.S. origin.

Copyright is secured automatically when the work is created, and a work is “created” when it is fixed in a copy for the first time. “Copies” are material objects from which a work can be read or visually perceived either directly or with the aid of a machine or device, such as books, manuscripts, sheet music, film, videotape, or microfilm.

The use of a copyright notice is no longer required under U. S. law, although it is often beneficial. Use of the notice may be important because it informs the public that the work is protected by copyright, identifies the copyright owner, and shows the year of first publication. Furthermore, in the event that a work is infringed, if a proper notice of copyright appears on the published copy to which a defendant in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be given to such a defendant’s interposition of a defense based on innocent infringement. Innocent infringement occurs when the infringer did not realize that the work was protected.
330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us

Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM

Thank you very much for the enlightenment Attorney Jaffe. May I ask about practical available remedies if the registered work is being violated outside U.S.? Is there a universal governing body that regulates copyright to save owners from inter-country jurisdiction issues?

Last edited by snakeair; 08-16-2010 at 08:12 PM.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by amethyst7 View Post
Thank you very much for the enlightenment Attorney Jaffe. May I ask about practical available remedies if the registered work is being violated outside U.S.? Is there a universal governing body that regulates copyright to save owners from inter-country jurisdiction issues?

Generally, if you are seeking damages from a party you will need to sue them in their home locale, and their home laws would apply.

If you are just trying to get the violation to stop, you are going to need to work with the hosting site and the laws of their jurisdiction.
330-666-5026 www.netlaws.us

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues