Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Removing Your Personal Information From Google

Vanessa Fox (former Google employee) has a great article at Search Engine Land you should bookmark for future reference should you need personal information removed or have some other information you would prefer removed.
Quote:
As our culture continues to move online, personal information about us that previously may have only been seen by our friends and family is increasingly shared in public spaces on the internet. Search engines such as Google make those details easy to find and as Google continues their mission to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful, that information has moved beyond web pages and onto things such as streets and businesses and views of homes. What can you do if you search for your name on Google and find information you’d rather keep private? Read on for instructions on how to get it removed.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Community Builder

I prefer to share everything all over the place
here is my profile
http://www.google.com/profiles/brandon.sheley
It's always up to you as to what you share and how much of it.
with that said, I don't really utilize my google profile much

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 11-12-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 AM

I want to remove my personal information, my mailbox get many spam mail now. But will it remove all the page index in google? I am afraid if it will remove most of my backlinks.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks for posting that article.

I find it scary how many people give their info to big companies like Google, Facebook etc. Did you know that Facebook updated their TOS from time to time, making it a lot longer than the previous versions, a lot harder to understand etc. and at the same time reducing the standard privacy settings, so even more people could have access to your personal data without even having to have an account?

Did you know that Google streetview is using a software to blur out faces of people but that it isn't failproof? A man was photographed lying on the streets, drunken and his face wasn't blurred out, while that of a horse was! Now his picture is all over the internet and people are making fun of him.

Be careful with companies that are trying to build up a monopoly where ever they go. Don't just fall over a new app because it's free. There is a reason why Google always gives away lots of free and seemingly valuable stuff. Just to get your data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyips View Post
I want to remove my personal information, my mailbox get many spam mail now. But will it remove all the page index in google? I am afraid if it will remove most of my backlinks.
If you have your email only on your contact page, f.e., then put a "noindex" tag on the page so only that page will be deindexed (and this will not affect your backlinks, though they will pointing to a non-indexed page, so it would be advisable to 301 them to your other pages if possible).

Alternatively, just obfuscate your email address or use a contact form. With obfuscating I mean make it look something like yourname [AT] domain [d0t] c0m.

That looks quite unprofessional though, so using a contact form with some captcha might be your best bet.
"One site jumped from 53 to 9!"

Old 12-25-2010, 11:07 PM
v7n Mentor

One often overlooked approach is going to the original offline source. For instance, some states have procedures where you can get your home address removed from the public records if you meet certain requirements.

You may also have recourse through your state Attorney General depending on the type of information. Often threatening to contact them will get action.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:45 PM

I checked my personal name in google only to find out I am a professor in Georgia. Little did I know. Just because we try to get all our personal info out of data doesnt get rid of magnitude of info elsewhere like in Lexis_nexis and beyond

Old 09-29-2011, 11:22 PM

Personal info should not be put at very beginning. Some of the details are necessary at professional level but dont go for family details, your income & pics etc. Make a professional profile & your email id should be smart & such that it not be easily followed by everyone.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Vanessa Fox (former Google employee) has a great article at Search Engine Land you should bookmark for future reference should you need personal information removed or have some other information you would prefer removed.

Well now a days where internet is become the primary means of communication where people sharing everything including their personal information which could be dangerous. Now even small children are using internet and it should be under parents guidance. One should never trust on internet friends

Old 12-06-2011, 06:13 AM

You don't need to remove your search result if you keep them private there is lot more option to make them private. But if you stuck in this situation unknowingly this article will surely help you.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:06 AM

Yeah. Mmy basic info can be seen on the Google site, but one of my friend says me to remove all information from those sites which were not safe.Thanks alot, will share it with all those are not yet aware about these issue.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 AM

Personally I don't understand.

If you don't want your details online why would you put them online in the first place?

All these people signing up on websites such as facebook and then complaining.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:47 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I have been wondering about this for a while. I read an article somewhere a while ago about a guy who tried to completely remove Google from his life (no android phone, no gmail, etc etc) and had a pretty rough time managing his professional life after doing so. Wish I could remember what exactly happened, I want to say he went back to using Google but in a more limited capacity. I'll have to try to find that article again, it was pretty interesting actually.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonKlokov View Post
I have been wondering about this for a while. I read an article somewhere a while ago about a guy who tried to completely remove Google from his life (no android phone, no gmail, etc etc) and had a pretty rough time managing his professional life after doing so. Wish I could remember what exactly happened, I want to say he went back to using Google but in a more limited capacity. I'll have to try to find that article again, it was pretty interesting actually.
Is this the article? http://www.itworld.com/it-management...ivorced-google

If not, someday start a thread when you find it so we can discuss about the topic itself in a seprate thread.

Old 11-29-2013, 10:28 PM

At first you need to be soo famous to have your personal data on Google (you can lock your privacy settings on social networks) and moreover, you need to have people searching for your data.. :-D

Anyways, nice post about Removing Your Personal Information From Google ! :-)

Old 12-04-2013, 05:33 AM

That's really informative post for me. After searching my name on google i found that i am very famous I just wrote my name on search box and find nearlly hundred of sites. I dont know it is good or bad for me

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Closed Thread