Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Angry SOPA We all need to help defeat this bill

If you are not aware of the Stop Online Piracy Act (also known as H.R.3261 and SOPA) then please read and act by making your voice heard in Washington! This bill is being heard in Congress TODAY so do not delay.

Why?

This is a bill which in effect not only gives copyright owners the ability to force payment providers to cut off payment access to accused sites (even if not convicted) but requires search engines such as Google to remove all links to such sites.

Our nation has been founded on justice for all and punishment without a fair trial is not only contradictory to those principles but is in violation of many other rights guaranteed under the Constitution (such as the right to free speech).

You will not be alone in this fight, The Electronic Frontier Foundation has put forth their arguments at https://www.eff.org/sites/default/fi...age-SOPA_0.pdf, and a Group on internet leaders such as Google and Wikipedia have sent an open letter to Congress setting forth their objections ( a copy can be found at http://www.protectinnovation.com/downloads/letter.pdf )

Its not like the DCMA has not been effective, nor that the search engines are not holding up their end of the bargain (Google handled over 5 million DCMA complaints in the last year - 95% of them within 6 hours) but this is being pushed through by guess who? Lobbyists for the motion picture industry have spent over $91 million lobbying for the passage of this bill.

MOST IMPORTANTLY KNOWLEDGEABLE WEBMASTERS SHOULD LOBBY THEIR CONGRESSMEN AND SENATORS BECAUSE IT APPEARS TO ME (after watching the live congressional sessions for several hours) THEY DO NOT SEEM TO HAVE A CLUE ABOUT THE INTERNET.

Last edited by Mel; 12-16-2011 at 12:11 AM.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Al Gore Comes Out Against SOPA

Our favorite VP has spoken.

Quote:
Former Vice President (and Apple board member) Al Gore has some strong words against the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

The bill ďwould very probably have the effect of really shutting down the vibrancy of the Internet,Ē Gore said at a CareerBuilder event Thursday night.

SOPA, if passed, would give the U.S. federal government a wide array of powers for disabling a website it found to be in violation of copyright law. Many Internet users and tech companies, including Yahoo, Google and eBay, consider the bill dangerous to the structure of the Internet as we know it.

Gore certainly, if belatedly, agrees...
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2012/01/06/al-gore-sopa/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

White House Strangles SOPA, Citing Censorship, Security Concerns

Some news about SOPA.

Quote:
In a statement on behalf of the Obama administration this morning, a trio of senior officials including the nation's Chief Technology Officer made clear that any anti-piracy legislation passing the President's desk would not create risks of censorship, nor would it condone any alterations to the Internet's domain name system that could invite security dangers.

The statement, which lists all three anti-piracy bills currently under discussion - the PROTECT-IP and OPEN bills in the Senate, and the SOPA bill in the House - is a loud warning shot indicating the President's lack of support, and likely veto, of any legislation that requires tampering with the structure of the Internet to enable enforcement.

The statement was issued just after 8:00 am ET, and was signed by....
Continued at: http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives...ship_secur.php

Any thoughts on this bit of news?

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM

Stupid laws are passed by people who have not seen the ball since the kickoff......

Legislators, both local and federal frequently make decisions based on information from staffers and influence by lobbyists.....

Can you imagine them reading a 200 page document......?

Old 01-15-2012, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Gillum View Post
Stupid laws are passed by people who have not seen the ball since the kickoff......

Legislators, both local and federal frequently make decisions based on information from staffers and influence by lobbyists.....

Can you imagine them reading a 200 page document......?
Not really, though I could imagine how they write one

I'm all for preventing piracy, but clearly this bill is going in the wrong direction... instead of helping fight it, it's just creating ways for big corporations to eat the small fish in the internet industry by holding them accountable, without them even knowing anything happened. DMCA seems to work fine, no reason to try and fix what isn't broke...

Old 01-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

SOPA Spells Loss ó A SPN Exclusive Article

Quote:
Every business with an online presence – no matter the size – is going to be affected by the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), which is set to be voted on when Congress resumes later this month. Companies like Google that provide a gateway to diverse content on the web will be hit directly, but even smaller businesses – from online payroll providers to ecommerce sites – could be affected, even if they don’t at first appear to have a direct link with anything SOPA was created to fight. Every user of the Internet, whether a business owner or not, needs to understand why SOPA exists and what the unintended consequences of this poorly considered piece of legislation will really be, both for small companies and the nation as a whole. After educating yourself, take action! If you disagree with SOPA and want to help stop it before it causes any damage, there are things you can do, both through your company and as an individual.
Continued at: http://www.sitepronews.com/2012/01/1...usive-article/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I've already coded the script that blacks my blog out for January 18th. AnonyOps is distributing protest code, but I decided I would do my own since I had a spare moment last night.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:35 PM
Blue Rose Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

There is also a wordpress plugin called go dark.

Quote:
This plugin enables websites to 'go dark' on January 18th with a customizable message and start/end times to protest SOPA/PIPA and Internet Censorship
It enables you to customize the message displayed on the front end, and optionally display either a stylized 'Censored' sign or seal.
When 'dark' your website will return a 503 Service Temporarily Unavailable status code so as to not damage your search engine rankings, as well as specify the length of time for the visitor to try back after.
Go dark

Old 01-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Administrator

Wondering....

What those who don't use old fashioned in the browser bookmarks/favorites are going to do when the lights go out at Google in a few hours. Amazing the number of people type in the url of the site they want in the search box instead of the address bar of their browser.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:08 AM

I wasn't even aware there was something pending but I don't really familiarise myself with news from the US. What I did find annoying was going to wordpress to find they had switched off into this "dark mode".

Not entirely sure what the answer is, strikes very rarely lead to answers.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Google just blocked their logo. The search still works.

I just put a protest note on the home page and let it go at that.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Itís time to stop PROTECT IP

Matt Cutt's did a blog post today.

Quote:
A couple months ago, I wrote this about SOPA:

"SOPA galvanized the tech community, from start-ups to venture capitalists to the largest web companies. SOPA was an unexpected shock and a wake-up call. Well, guess what? Now the internet is awake. And I donít think itís going back to sleep any time soon. We might need to rally again in the near future, but we can do that. The internet learns fast."

Now itís time to rally and get loud. Itís time to call your Senators. Heck, itís time to ask your parents to call their Senators. If you think the internet is something different, something special, then take a few minutes to protect it. Groups that support SOPA have contributed nine times more money in Washington D.C. than our side. We need to...
Continued at: http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/stop-protect-ip/

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

PIPA and SOPA Co-Sponsors Abandon Bills

Alright, i've been following this all day today. No this was not the reason why i called out of work today. Just didn't feel like going to work.

Quote:
The widespread Internet blackout Wednesday, in which sites such as Wikipedia and Reddit went dark to protest the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and Protect Intellectual Property Act (PIPA), seems to have influenced members of the U.S. Congress.

PIPA co-sponsor Florida Sen. Marco Rubio pulled his name from the bill Wednesday and SOPA co-sponsor Arizona Rep. Ben Quayle pulled his name Tuesday.

Rubio communicated his withdrawal via a Facebook post, titled “A Better Way to Fight the Online Theft of American Ideas and Jobs,” in which he argues congress should...
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2012/01/18/pipa-sopa-abandon-bill/

Sure looks like the people are winning this battle.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator

IMO it was a bad bill pushed by the Hollywood elite all in the name of more $ for them.

Shutting people down without due process of the law is contrary to everything this country is founded upon.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Just like the Google Panda update, shutting down someones website could put them out of business and unable to support there family.

People do make a living from there website/blog and they can't afford the best lawyers that money can buy like the big companies. The gov. is starting to listen to the people with the protests today.

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Digital Marketing Consultant

Look Wikipedia, they are blacked out protesting!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yup. We have a thread about that. http://www.v7n.com/forums/controvers...-24-hours.html

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-18-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Oh thank you. I just visited and saw that Wordpress also went dark also. Wow!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator

Copyblogger went dark today for 12 hours. I didn't get a chance to read a blog post from yesterday on there and went to the blog today and it's down. lol

Like Us on Facebook
facebook.com/wpoutcast

Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Copyblogger went dark today for 12 hours. I didn't get a chance to read a blog post from yesterday on there and went to the blog today and it's down. lol
Will V7N also go dark lol?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues