Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 02-21-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Legal Claims Can Be Served On Facebook & Twitter, Say UK Judges

Ok, before you post a response, read the full blog post first.

Quote:
For those of you on the lam, it might be time to batten up the hatches on your social network availability because the long-arm of the law stretches a little further today due to a ruling in the United Kingdom that clears the way for lawyers to serve legal claims to defendants via Facebook. Justice Nigel Teare granted permission to a lawyer representing a pair of investment managers to seek out an elusive defendant on Facebook and issue a legal claim.

This has been a slow time coming as prosecutors find...
Continued at: http://www.webpronews.com/legal-clai...judges-2012-02

Comments?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 02:36 PM
Contributing Member

When a defendant cannot be served in the U.S. there is a process called service by publication whereby you can place notices in newspapers which act as service of process.

I would think sending the paperwork through a social network would be more effective as actual notice than newspaper advertisements.

Therefore, I suspect a judge in the U.S. could be convinced that after failing to find and serve a defendent, that a social network would be better than a newspaper advertisement.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Blue Rose Mentor

Its a novel idea, but I can remember when they were looking for people that owed money in the Uk, one question bugged me then, and reading this, bugs me now.

Using a social network like that, advertising that you got served, is an embarrassing thing to have anywhere, especially on a social network, so what happens if the person they're looking for used someone else's identity? It still happens today, and believe me, if someone posted on a social network of mine that I was served, and it wasn't me, but someone that stole my identity, there would be law suits of another kind floating around.

Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

I see this as a good thing. Some of the hardest to locate and serve would be right there bragging about evading due process.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:35 AM

Considering Facebook's sole purpose for existing is to collect and sell information would you be shocked if they themselves were alerting companies to incur some favor?

Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member

LOL Ironically, one of the most active FB users I know is a process server. Now, he'll never leave his house.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues