Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-22-2012, 10:28 AM
v7n Mentor

Site copied -- what would you do?

Hi all,

I have a commercial site that I am paid by various companies to write articles and posts and publish.

I just got a notice back from one of the companies I deal with that my content wasn't unique. I ran a copyscape on it, and it came back clean. I don't have a premium account.

I asked them for more details, and they gave me the URL of a forum site where the "administrator" has been posting my articles in their entirety, with photos, etc. The links are still there (mostly the ones I post for my advertisers). The only time I link to my own site is when I do articles in a series, which is very rare. Those are still there too, but for the most part, I'm getting zero credit for my work. And it's costing me credibility with those who hire me.

The "administrator's" full list of posts consists pretty much of every article I've written for my site, and he's been doing it since 2007.

The articles do get a few hundred views over the years, but they are doing me no good, and I'm pretty unhappy at this moment, not to mention it's costing me revenue.

What would you do, and what steps should I take next? Thanks!!! (Unfortunately, I have about a day and a half to make some decisions or the time on a contracted job I already submitted will run out.)

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Look up who wons the site via WHOIS. Note their domain registrar and web hosting.

Write a Cease & Desist letter with cc to domain registrar and web hosting. Look on domain registrar and web hosting sites to see how they want the letter worded. You have to match this for them to do anything.

Has worked for me.

(not a lawyer but never needed one to get this done)

Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 AM
v7n Mentor

Thanks so much!

I had a vague idea that I would need to write a Cease and Desist and thought maybe I should notify their host, but I wasn't sure exactly how to proceed. Thanks for the info.

(Not a lawyer either, but I generally handle most of my own legal issues ... gets tiresome at times though, LOL. I do know you have to follow exact procedures to get anything done.)

Thanks again!

(And fortunately my client is satisfied that I'm not the one copying content!)

Old 03-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
To be quite honest, I think a Cease and Desist letter is a little too aggressive right out of the bat. When I had my old blog, I typically used C&D/DMCA as a last resort after a refusal by the site owner to remove my content (where they didn't make a citation or link back), and when the web host decided to play dumb with me.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:46 PM
v7n Mentor

They are using WhoIsDefender ....

I can only submit an abuse form. Wonder where that will go.

I've half a mind to join the site and post in his forums his own rules against posting copyrighted material.

I suspect patience and the proper channels would be the wiser choice.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM
v7n Mentor

Hmmm ... ok.

I can remember once I got a C&D from a manufacturing company because I freely wrote an article stating what a great product they had. They were really rude and insisted I remove everything with their name on it. The company was against any kind of sales not through their own distributorship process, but I wasn't SELLING the product. I tried to tell them that, but they continued to demand, so ... I quit saying nice things about them.

Maybe I should contact the web administrator first. I'm just a bit annoyed that he admittedly knows it's wrong to lift content, yet build his entire site from mine.

Thank goodness my PR is higher than his.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
The "administrator's" full list of posts consists pretty much of every article I've written for my site, and he's been doing it since 2007.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
...his own rules against posting copyrighted material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
To be quite honest, I think a Cease and Desist letter is a little too aggressive right out of the bat. When I had my old blog, I typically used C&D/DMCA as a last resort after a refusal by the site owner to remove my content (where they didn't make a citation or link back), and when the web host decided to play dumb with me.
If you want to pussy foot around with someone that obviously knows what they are doing is wrong, that's up to you.

My experience is that they blame some underling or someone they hired to post content.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:42 PM
v7n Mentor

The more I look at the site, the more it bothers me.

He has actually taken the time to create somewhere on the order of 1500 fake accounts to post to his forum. (That's pretty much the only explanation I can arrive at for 1500 accounts that all have a single post to their credit, and a forum that doesn't allow real people to register.) Either that or a poorly done campaign. What a waste of time.

There is apparently one other "poster" that also copies content from a blog. I'm wondering if that's the real site owner, or someone else being copied.

I'm waiting to hear from the defender folks. I want contact info.

And no, I'm not going to pussy-foot around. Now that I see what's being done here a little more clearly, I'm pretty ticked. Each post is showing on average about 600 views, and I'm sure it's all set up just to make $$ from his Adsense.

I'm wondering if I can report this to Google based on the Adsense. I've been digging around for various places to report it to and options. Gonna stomp this one with both feet ... he obviously knows exactly what he's doing, and I'm not happy about it.

Edited to add: I don't really care WHO he blames. Though if he claims it's someone else he hired to post content, I believe I want that person's name as well.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure about the law in the US, but in the UK if you write something unique you own the copyright, so they would be in breach of copyright if you could prove your publication was prior to theirs.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:59 PM
V7N Addict

Email first and see if they would take it off. If not send them a email regarding legal actions if they do not take it off.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I believe the point is who posted the story first. If I remember the situation right, only the original (first-crawled) text influences the search engines. If your text was crawled first, then you just do not have to worry and explain the situation to the customers.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

I suggest you be aggressive and send the DMCA notice to the web host and Google.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:35 PM

Usually most of the writer are doing the same thing, copying others work and rephrase its accordingly, its better you email Google regarding this issues, hope you problem will be solved.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Closed Thread