Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

5 Absurd Copyright Takedowns That Make The Law Look Outdated

Quote:
No matter where you stand on copyright issues, it's hard to argue that the current system is working. In few places are the flaws of modern copyright law more apparent than when it comes to Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) takedown requests.

Sure, plenty of legitimate DMCA are received and honored by sites like YouTube, Rapidshare and Grooveshark all the time. But every now and then we hear about a takedown notice that leaves us scratching our heads: Is that really a copyright violation? If not, why was the content removed? Is the system that easily gamed? Oh, it was a violation? How weird.

Even the legitimate takedowns tend to lead a cat-and-mouse game and may not have a meaningful impact on the piracy they're intended to thwart, research suggests. But either way, some of the...
Continued at: http://readwrite.com/2013/01/22/5-ab...-look-outdated

Anyone wish to comment on this?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

I think many corporations like google doesn't care about DMCA.

They encourage people to write contents particularely to support their adsenses system, but they are unable to protect copyrights owners or holders. Their take down are very much arbitrary, and when it comes to their products like youtube, blogspot, blogger, it is almost impossible to take down with a DMCA if their customers lie and counter notice.

Actually I have several DMCA sent via the google webmaster tool from the 7th january 2013 and they are still pending which make me think that it isn't taken seriously.

Most of the sites violators shield their Whois, and belong to rings of wordpress blogs full of infringements and build for black hat SEO and adsenses.

It seems like the impunity and the negligence are rampant and when their money is not involved they don't give a damn! That's very funny to heard about their quality or user experience propaganda when they are still making money from sites violators binging them money.

Google is the cosa nostra!

Last edited by Franc Tireur; 01-22-2013 at 11:06 AM.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:11 PM

These companies suffer from a failure to innovate and a lack of appreciation of their fans more often than not.

What's cool is when companies get it. For instances, George Lucas (despite the many ciriticism for his prequels) has been really open with the overall fan film community.

Paramount, on the other-hand, not so much. It's one of the reasons why there is so much more cool and fun Star Wars content out there from fans than there are Star Trek content.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Contributing Member

Google has now stated that the number of DMCA takedown requests for sites will be taken into consideration in its search ranking algorithms. Food for thought.

I have never had a problem with DMCA requests filed against the Google properties Blogspot or Blogger. My experience has been that my plagiarized content, and sometimes the entire blog, is taken off within hours.

If there is a delay, it is because - by U.S. law - the accused is given time to file a response to the complaint.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues