Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-25-2015, 08:27 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Using posters or thumbnail for movie info

Is it ok to use movie posters or images or thumbnail on a page displaying movie information on the website like that in IMDB. Is it a fair use?? Or is it necessary to ask permissions from each concerned parties for each movies.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-09-2016, 04:59 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

So sad that no one really replied in two weeks period. Is there anyone who can really advise on this issue (or else this thread can be closed)?

Old 01-10-2016, 01:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I suggest you should better read privacy policy of imbd.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:35 PM

I think there should no any complaints regarding this matter because advertising the movie poster and details is not bad thing its a part of promotion the movie.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:16 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by LnwebworksIndia View Post
I think there should no any complaints regarding this matter because advertising the movie poster and details is not bad thing its a part of promotion the movie.
While it seems fair using our common sense, but still is it technically/legally right is my primary concern. Even wikipedia took some time before they openly accepted publication of poster images on their movie info pages. But they clearly state the license information.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:24 AM

What if you provide the source from which you took the picture? Like the Amazon link or something...it seems like those works are copyrights but the fair use can nevertheless apply from what I saw

Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

@brigitte Sillam: If this is a case of fair use or not is always debatable. While it has been said that for news reporting or something like that, use of images is "fair use" having just mentioned the source of pic (may be i am wrong in this case).

Another way of judging fair use is the consideration for monetary loss for the concerned parties. Here in this case, I don't thing posting movie posters for displaying movie info pose any monetary loss to the production company. However, this "fair use" is itself so grey. You assume that its fair and work and what if something you were blind to catch you up...relying on fair use is as such....ufff!!!

Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF View Post
While it seems fair using our common sense, but still is it technically/legally right is my primary concern. Even wikipedia took some time before they openly accepted publication of poster images on their movie info pages. But they clearly state the license information.
I agree. Yes it's an additional promotion on the movie but it still has it's corresponding legal arrangements/trademarks.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Closed Thread