Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

eBay incompetence reaches an all new low...

I have several eBay stores and have been a power seller for many years, unblemished account etc. Recently we have had a lot of listings popping up that are just cut n pastes of our own, pictures the lot. My Logo and my products are trademarked in the UK as a very minimum so I obviously went through the correct process for them to be removed with eBay, and sent a cease and desist message to the accounts stealing my IP.

After waiting for 3 weeks and nothing I got on the phone yesterday to complain that eBay is facilitating the illegal activity of this person(s) who are opening different accounts just to create new listings - That copy mine!

So after a promise that it will be actioned within a few hours I hoped that this round of nonsense was about to end. But lets just guess what the most incompetent company in the world could do in this situation???

Well a few hours after my phone call, assuring me the copied listings would be gone, I received several emails from eBay telling me that I had violated the copyright of my own company, they had removed my listings!!!

Yes that's right, eBay removed 6 of my listings, listings which were 5 years old with all that lovely sales history and ranking positions that brought in hundreds of pounds per week, every week.

What are they going to do? I got the listings relisted (they charged me relisting fees) and i got a 'sorry for any inconvenience'.....morons.

So to anyone thinking that trademarks are your friend, on eBay they are almost useless. eBay's reporting system isn't fit for purpose and the VERO scheme is a joke. Backed up by really clever 'customer service'.

"Why are you still at eBay then?", I earn 100k (profit) per annum, from just one shop that's why.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-21-2017, 06:48 AM

It's nice that they apologized for the inconvenience, but why did they charge you relisting fees for something that was they acknowledged as being fault (the removal of your listing)? Have you tried contacting them again and asking them to refund you the relisting fees?

Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 AM

Yes, you are the victim of software. Now a days, almost all market places or other social medias have so many users and they are using their own CMS system and Robots which have no feeling or consideration like human being. These tools condemn and shutdown any
account without evidence. As the site owner has no time of considering the really, the are fully dependent on those tools. So in the amazon, google, blogger, and others.

Old 04-21-2017, 04:37 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucian Hodoboc View Post
It's nice that they apologized for the inconvenience, but why did they charge you relisting fees for something that was they acknowledged as being fault (the removal of your listing)? Have you tried contacting them again and asking them to refund you the relisting fees?
Why would I waste my time? Pennies.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

Ebay has been particularly incompetent here in India. So much so that it's been languishing at the bottom and now is having to sell its business to a larger player. http://retail.economictimes.indiatim...india/58108617

I've had a terrible experience with it and haven't bought anything in the last 3 years.

Old 04-22-2017, 02:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Ebay has been particularly incompetent here in India. So much so that it's been languishing at the bottom and now is having to sell its business to a larger player. http://retail.economictimes.indiatim...india/58108617

I've had a terrible experience with it and haven't bought anything in the last 3 years.
They are incredibly incompetent Vaguar. If a hedge fund, or the like, would back a company to compete it would be possible to usurp eBay easily as their system is dire. Currently they are trying, again, to role out product reviews and as long as a seller adds a GTIN, EAN or ISBN that is from a top seller with great reviews they get those reviews too, even though it's not there identifier to use. What are they doing about it? Nothing. :/

Old 04-22-2017, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woomeister View Post
They are incredibly incompetent Vaguar
In my case a seller who'd sold me a bad product used to repeatedly call me to change my negative review to a positive one. All eBay said was it was between me and him & we should sort out matters on our own! I told them it was because of their incompetence that the seller had my number in the first place!

Finally the seller relented when I told him that I'd call the police if he made one more phone call. I stopped using eBay after that and have never looked back ever since.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Where software is concerned, I can't believe the amount of fake stuff being sold on eBay that doesn't work. The software box graphics and disk graphics look real, but it was just a fake rip off.

You see, many years ago, I bought some software off a seller with a good rep, and had to contact him directly and complain because when I eventually got the delivery, the software didn't install because the serial number was fake.

His resolve? He said he'd send me a crack. WTF??

I replied - why in hell would I pay you all that money for the software (about 40% less than the retail - should have been my first clue) just to have you send me a crack to make it work, when I could download the software and get a crack for free on the internet somewhere!!

I got a refund after sending my compliant to eBay about 6 weeks later with that being my last venture on that site..

Good riddance!

Old 04-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Does Amazon allow third party sellers to sell using its platform in your respective countries? And does that lead to a fake product problem?

There's a rule here in India that says big e-commerce companies can only supply 25% of their sales (to protect the livelihoods of small & medium enterprises). So the big guys like Amazon have to depend on third parties for 75% of their sales & that leads to a massive fake products problem.

Old 04-23-2017, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Does Amazon allow third party sellers to sell using its platform in your respective countries? And does that lead to a fake product problem?

There's a rule here in India that says big e-commerce companies can only supply 25% of their sales (to protect the livelihoods of small & medium enterprises). So the big guys like Amazon have to depend on third parties for 75% of their sales & that leads to a massive fake products problem.
In the UK anyone can sell anything on Amazon. Most savvy sellers/people use amazon affiliates to sell their items too. I've never had any issue with fake items, but then i don't buy things that are prone to being 'faked' so I'm probably not the best person to ask on that specific point.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues