Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

Share |
Old 01-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Class on Re-monetizing music

A class is being given at my university on re-monetizing the music biz. Students will come up with a business plan to remonetize music and other easily transferable media files as well as discourage pirating. The class will be taught by IP expert David Lametti.
1) do you think it's feasible
2) how would you do it?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

No.....Maybe..
The first step would be to find some artists with talent, everything is just an image these days.
Especially in Hip-Hop.
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan...was there from the begining and have seen all of the OG's in concert.
Run
Public Enemy
2 Live Crew
L.L.
Biz
Dre'
Pac
Beasties
Grand Master Flash
Latifah
Hammer (yes Hammer, he put on the best show I have ever seen in hip hop)
I could go on, and show more of my age.

If you want to re-monitize music, re -invent talent.
The big reason so mant artists and record companies loose out to piracy is nobody has more than one song thats worth anything anymore, yet, they still make whole compilations (we used to call them albums).

If you got one hit, and the rest of the CD sucks...I'm not paying $15.99 for it when I can just burn the one song you got, and wait for the next flash in the pan.

Very few artists can pull it off anymore.
One hit wonders, with only one salable song, is ruining the business, yet the lack of talent in the industry, keeps the "one hitters" around.

If companies would start signing artists that have more to offer than an image, and at least the ability to write a song or two, and not just perform, they might see people willing to pay for a whole CD again.

Last edited by EBORG9; 01-14-2007 at 05:20 PM.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:38 PM

I entirely agree! 16 bucks for a song is a joke. The flip side is that not nearly as many people buy the singles. Maybe bc it's a pain/hassle when you can get it free?
What if they sold monthly memberships letting u dl as much as you want? It sounds familiar so that's probably not an original idea, but anyone know if it worked?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm-seo View Post
I entirely agree! 16 bucks for a song is a joke. The flip side is that not nearly as many people buy the singles. Maybe bc it's a pain/hassle when you can get it free?
What if they sold monthly memberships letting u dl as much as you want? It sounds familiar so that's probably not an original idea, but anyone know if it worked?
Yes, just before the internet, there were clubs (holy crap, am I that old?), that sold memberships to get a certain amount of CD's from the same label, for a set price and you had to buy so many in so much time, and you got the first 11 for like a penny.(don't they still do that?)

Most of the download sites are monthly, unlimitted aren't they?

Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM

i remember the clubs. they worked with some kind of stickers/stamp you put on a card and mailed in. always seemed like a scam to me, though, plus i had no credit card back then... I can't recall if you could cancel your membership or not buy anything more after buying all those CDs on the cheap?

Old 01-19-2007, 12:14 PM
v7n Mentor

You had to buy a certain number at normal club price (which was almost twice the cost at your local music store) before you could cancel. And they counted on you not sending back the card that said you DON'T want the automatic monthly selection. They more than made their money!

Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Knew there had to be a catch in there somehow. No free lunches ...

Old 01-22-2007, 09:38 PM

Some websites are catch free though. CNN recently evaluated unlimited music downloads for $2.50 a month which also allows you to burn your music onto a cd so you'll have it forever. Check it out http://moremusic1.udc01.hop.clickbank.net/

Old 01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
v7n Mentor

Remonetize? How about revolutionize? Money + music = bad combination.

We've all become way too busy to make music ourselves. Way back, before we had electronic music feeding machines hooked up to our disentegrating cochleas, the vast majority of people could actually play an instrument. They gathered together, learned songs, and were active participants in music making. Now we're all passive sheep listening to the latest dross passed down by the suits in skyscrapers. The industrialization of music destroyed this once valuable aspect of culture. Oh well. Progress.

Rather than figure out a way to support egotistical self-centered attitude pumped glam pop stars, find a way to make music yourself. And don't say you lack the skill: that's another myth the music money has passed down. Music making is as human as eating, dreaming, and copulating. We're musical creatures to the marrow.

Old 01-23-2007, 04:09 PM
v7n Mentor

Now that is a new and interesting opinion, Ed!!!! I agree!

Now if I could just find the time to build my 5 foot diameter drum....

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues