Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues

Internet Legal Issues Discuss online internet legal issues and topics including but not limited to copyright, trademarks, patents, slander, internet laws, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-24-2007, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

legal action against spammer

Someone has been tried to spam my host server 2 times what kind of legal action i can take? I have just his ip address.

According to my hosting company it happens by using my contact form (spamming by using form). is someone trying to cheat me or it can happen any time anywhere?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Spammers attacking forms is common.

I would block the IP from accessing your site and add some type of human checker on your form (i.e. enter code and then form will be sent).

Skinny

Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 PM
Latest Blog:
None

just add a simple human checker like skinny said... Make it send a email to join! that way the software will brake the captcha and sign up, how ever it wont post due to it needing email confirmation, a spammer wont do email confirmation unless you of course have a email confirmation program (most spammers wont have these unless they are pro spammers) the reason is your forum will be one of 1000s and its not worth clicking accept in a email. spammers download forum lists aswell as proxy lists so odds are a simple email required to join will do the trick! just think it takes hours to spam websites its a waste of time to confirm a email.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:16 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Spammers attacking forms is common.
what exactly it is and why people do it ( just for fun sake or any other objective)

after using secured form as u r telling will no one can spam my web server through form?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

and what do u think about legal action can we take any against this kind of theft? He also has been hacked my login password

Old 10-25-2007, 02:42 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

and by using his ip address how i can contact that guy

Old 10-28-2007, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

That attack is called email header injection.

http://www.securephpwiki.com/index.php/Email_Injection

And don't bother with legal action. Spammer is unlikely to be in a place that gives a crap. There are too many unlawful countries in the world that just don't care. This is where many spammers operate.

I suggest you secure your script asap. You can get free contact mail forms with captcha and header injection checking.

Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Just block his IP address.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:35 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Like others said, it's no use to sue or make any legal action as you cannot really caught these spammers.

But you can always do some prevention or precaution to stop the spammers from doing so. Putting CAPTCHA or the code to enter does work but not 100%. Thus, IP blocking works as well.

Old 08-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

try to read these, http://www.spamfreedom.com/2008/05/28/why-spam-exists/

Why Spamming Exist...

Gas Cards to avail of fuel discounts in any US Gas Stations[/CENTER]

Old 08-25-2008, 12:51 PM

This happened to my feedback form.. I just edited the php and made the form send me the i.p. of the sender to my e-mail and from there I blocked it from accessing any part of my website(s)

Old 10-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Sueing them would take much more time that you could be spending making money.. trust me.. it's not worth it.

Have your host explain to you how to block the IP From your forum if you don't know how.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I have been dealing with spammers like this all week. I don't even know what happened but its frustrating.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:36 PM
Contributing Member

I get that all the time, so I installed a captcha on the form. It cut the spam way down. Most likely the IP address you have is bogus. You can fake an IP and/or block your real one or they other people's computers as a medium for doing such activities. So you're best bet is to setup some sort of spam protection right there in the contact form.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Yes spam gets on ones nerves. Similarly like "cold calling" by way of telephone, or "direct mail" in the post. I think the best way to avoid automated repetitive spam is to change your email address. If it comes from a contact form, then I expect it will not be repetitive.

Legal Action. Not sure about that. Most of us are glad we live in a capitalist society, even with its pitfalls. In a capitalist society, people have a right to sell. People have bills to pay. Advertising is usually extortionatly expensive. I think the right of people to sell their services, pay their bills, raise their families outways legal action against a spammer - sometimes they are pleasantly surprised by the missed opportunity that they would not know about if they had not received the spam, or phonecall or direct mail.

If you document the spam you recieve, and contact the spammer asking to "stop", then more often than not they will stop. If they do not stop, keep a copy of all your recieved spam, and a record of your requests to stop, warn them that you are taking legal action - and keep looking into LEGAL ACTION - but any legal action usually only has one certain winner - the lawyers and the courts. Any decent lawyer (or should i say honest) will tell you that they themselves would avoid legal action at all costs - its last resort only.
HTML Code:
http://www.dating-russian-brides.com

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Business Forums > Internet Legal Issues