Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM

Marketing a Documentary

This is my first post to this forum, so please forgive any mistakes

I am launching a website that is going to promote a 30 minute documentary, to be released this July. I'm looking for ideas on the best way to market such a website/product. Here is a link to the website (still under construction as of June eighth). Does anyone have any good general advice?

Of course, an obvious starting point is to direct my efforts towards marketing to places online centered around my particular niche, lucid dreaming. I'm currently looking into this.

Another obvious starting point is the film's trailer, which can double as a promotional video with very high production values. But what are the most effective ways to capitalize on this trailer/promotional video? What specific marketing resources, strategies, and tools are most relevant to my particular kind of website/product?

Is anyone aware of a website that could serve as a good case study, i.e., a website that skillfully markets a documentary?

Any input on these questions, or anything else that comes to mind would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Put the trailer on youtube for a start. Then just focus on increasing the traffic to your site.

Old 06-08-2009, 04:33 PM

youtube or website?

Thanks, Anakha6.

Next week I will be spreading the word about the documentary, sending people to the trailer. Would it make more sense to 1) Send people to the trailer that I placed on youtube, potentially creating a youtube buzz, or 2) send people directly to the page on my website hosting the trailer, which would most likely increase pagerank (as hopefully others would link to it)?

Which makes more sense from an online marketing perspective?

Old 06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colsen View Post
Thanks, Anakha6.

Next week I will be spreading the word about the documentary, sending people to the trailer. Would it make more sense to 1) Send people to the trailer that I placed on youtube, potentially creating a youtube buzz, or 2) send people directly to the page on my website hosting the trailer, which would most likely increase pagerank (as hopefully others would link to it)?

Which makes more sense from an online marketing perspective?
Probably to send people to your site. The youtube video should act as an advertisement (Include link to your site in the description), you shouldn't have to advertise it.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Using the social networks for promoting your site will be a wise decision. Social networks are visited by various people and there you can promote your documentary easily.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:53 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by marine841 View Post
Using the social networks for promoting your site will be a wise decision. Social networks are visited by various people and there you can promote your documentary easily.
Considering the subject of the documentary, this is a very good idea, I could imagine that most of the users of social networks would be interested in something like this.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Latest Blog:
None

You can use you tube also its also the best place for any video related matter.Don't you think you should try this.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by min19681 View Post
You can use you tube also its also the best place for any video related matter.Don't you think you should try this.
I've already said that.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:29 PM

Social Networks

Quote:
I agree, this does sound like an excellent idea - thanks. I will take a look at the Social Network Marketing section of this forum.

Other than that, does anyone one have any suggestions for resources that would serve as good starting points for learning about how to most effectively use social networks to promote my documentary?

Also, besides the obvious youtube and related video sharing websites, are there certain social network categories/sites that would be particularly helpful for promoting a documentary?

Old 06-13-2009, 10:40 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Have you put your video on youtube? If not plz upload it there. Besides you can upload it also in Vuze its a p2p down loader but also have their own video site.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum