Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Share |
Old 04-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Contributing Member

Ten Tips for Effective Internet Article Writing

Ten Tips for Effective Internet Article Writing

By Donald Nelson
Quote:
On the Internet “content is king”, and the real guts of content is the written word. If you are managing a website you need readable text for your onsite articles, for articles in your promotional newsletter or ezine and for promotional articles to be published on other sites or in other ezines. While these writing tasks can be outsourced to professionals, it is also possible for you to do it yourself if you follow a step-by-step process that is outlined in the following ten tips.

1. In the first paragraph clearly state what the article is about. In standard journalism you would tell who, what, why, when and where an event is happening. In web articles you oftentimes state a problem, such as “how to get good written materials for your website”, and then explain how the article is going to solve the problem “by showing a simple step-by-step approach to writing”.

2. Organize your material in a point-wise fashion. Before you begin writing think of the points that your article is going to cover. You may not necessarily show the points, as I am doing in this article (calling them ten tips), however, for your own outline of the article you should know what you are going to say before you begin writing. Write down these points and then make sure you include them as you begin the writing process.

3. Put the reader at ease. You are not writing for a scientific or literary society, but to your peers on the Internet. Write in a simple style and if you introduce new terms, define them for your readers.

4. Explain your points in short paragraphs. Short paragraphs are easier for the reader to follow. No one likes to look at a long block of solid text. Three, four or five sentences are usually enough for one paragraph.

5. Don’t be afraid to spill all the beans! Tell your trade secrets! No, I am not crazy, the more you tell, the more the demand you will create for your goods and services. I once hesitated to write an article on “Tips for Writing Meta Tags” (http://www.a1-optimization.com/optimization-tips-2.htm) thinking, who will need my search engine optimization services if they read the article? I was wrong, the article was widely published and generated several orders for my services. If you give more information, people will understand that you really are an authority on the subject that you are speaking about.

6. Give concrete examples and personal experiences to back up your points. Tell how you faced a problem and how you solved it. Or give hypothetical examples of the California Widget Company and how its website would, for example need a title tag of “Widgets: electronic widgets from the California Widget Company”

7. Emphasize the benefits of your product or service. When it comes to selling, it is the benefits that sell, rather than the features. Sure, you are selling garden supplies, home décor, clothing, gifts and jewelry on your website. These are features. But the benefits are that people can get these items in one place without shopping around, that they can save time and money, etc. The gurus of Internet marketing, such as Ken Evoy (http://myws.sitesell.com/webpromote2.html) all say that you should constantly mention the benefits that you offer to your potential customer.

8. Give resource information to your readers. Give the addresses of websites where your readers can get more information on the subject that you are talking about. These may be your own websites or they can be other resources. In case you are worrying about losing customers, good outgoing links from your website are also helpful to your site’s page ranking and positioning in search engines.

9. Get another opinion on your article. Show it to your friends and colleagues, and don’t worry if they criticize you, it is better that your friends find the mistakes than your clientele. Always remember, a good editor is a writer’s best friend

10. Keep your most important information near the beginning of the article and summarize what you want to say at the end. Editors usually cut things near the end, so keep your most important points and ideas in the beginning of the article. At the very end of the article you can summarize what you set out to accomplish in your opening paragraph.

You may not win a literary prize, but if you follow the steps that I have outlined above you will be able to produce effective written content for your website and for your promotional outreach via your own newsletters and through articles published on other websites. These articles could become the key to success in your Internet endeavors.

PS: If you follow the guidelines outlined in this article you will be able to write great articles, however if you would like to use your time in another way and would like someone else to write your article for you, then contact me, and I will do it at a very reasonable price.

Donald Nelson is a web developer, editor, and social worker. He has been working on the Internet since 1995 and is the proprietor of A1-Optimization, http://www.a1-optimization.com, a firm providing search engine optimization, copywriting, reciprocal linking, and other web promotion services. His site features an article directory with hundreds of articles that you can use on your website.
Ten Tips for Effective Internet Article Writing ArticleDen.net

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 04-09-2010 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Put in quotes, added author credit, url of copy on net

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2010, 05:34 PM
Banned

I agree on the points stated here in the article 100%. Though from experience, I'm least likely to ask a friend to look over my work because most of them are away from the keyboard when I start working.

Alas, I have to rely on my trusty sense of grammar and diction to save the day.

So far, I haven't had to do any revisions on my works though. Thank goodness.

It definitely works to have some personality behind an article to keep it going. Keep it real, so to speak.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:09 PM
Banned

And sending emails on a regular basis (maybe weekly)is also important.

Don't annoy your potential visitors.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:40 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up Ten Tips for Effective Internet Article Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEBBIETTHATZME View Post
And sending emails on a regular basis (maybe weekly)is also important.

Don't annoy your potential visitors.
I'll also agree with the statement.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:38 AM
Banned

Those points are very useful, especially for new writers in online market. I believe, writing style must be standard to focus main objective. It is also very important to collect major points which should be explained shortly in details. Examples should also be provided, where necessary to illustrate a clear image in reader's mind.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting tips. Of course the problem with writing anything is that if your grammar and creativity is rubbish then the end result will be rubbish as well.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:27 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefandango View Post
Interesting tips. Of course the problem with writing anything is that if your grammar and creativity is rubbish then the end result will be rubbish as well.
I AGREE. Junk articles will defeat the purpose of article marketing. Articles should be informative and well written. There should be a decent balance between keywords and content, and the sentences should be well written and convey clear messages.

I dislike writing that is why I always outsource my ARTICLES to US writers. Even if it costs me three times more!!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Banned

Wow Excellent tips. Thanks for sharing.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum