Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Share |
Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 AM

How do you check ad specifications on banner ads, etc.?

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to the industry so I apologize if this is a dumb question. My background is in printing/publishing, not web. Similar to print ads, there are specific criteria a publisher may require for online advertisers (e.g. file size limits, physical dimensions reqs, max run time, max # of loops). I know the IAB has guidelines they publish. My questions is - how do you check to make sure the advertisements meet the requirements? Automatically? Manually? Not at all? Any tools out there which do this? Any info you can provide would be great.

Thanks for your time.

Greg

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2011, 12:32 PM
v7n Mentor

If I understand you correctly, you're asking about checking to make sure your ads comply with something? Maybe I misread that, but that's what it kinda sounds like. The published list at IAB is their general guidelines, what THEY have chosen to be general, and yes, many publishers tend to fall into one of those categories. I'd suggest that compliance or not really falls down to your website layout. You come from a world where things are more stringent, because of physical paper size, etc. This is a less restrictive world.

I'd be more concerned with your website layout and how the ads mesh with that than I would with a "size compliance" of some sort that really does not exist.

When placing ads, as a website designer, I normally look at my page layout and decide what kind of ads I wish to place where. For instance, the normal wide banner width they suggest, like 400 some odd by 60 some odd pixels in dimensions, I'd normally place in either a header area or the middle page main content area. If it's one of the skyscrapers or buttons, they normally go in the sidebars on left and right of the page. Of course, if you use a 2 column design, you'll have one sidebar and one main area instead.

It's all more about following what works for your design, not complying with some IAB, or otherwise, sanctioned ad police. Now, if you're talking about running your own affiliate program, offering your own ads, this is another story.

I guess what I'm having problems coming to grips with in your question, is as a designer, we either design our own ads or we use those provided by others. What we use by others is a personal choice by the designer, or website owner, as to what is aesthetically pleasing to them for their design.

I hope this helps, but your question definitely needs some elaboration.

EDIT

And Greg, no question is dumb, save for the one you fail to ask and suffer from lack of learning. Welcome to the forums. =)

Old 02-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Hi moneyonlinesorg,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. My question would be directed more from the publisher side. I'll try to expand upon it to hopefully clear up some of your questions.

I've been to many websites for newspapers and magazines where they list specific requirements for online adverts if you want to advertise on their site. Based on their site design, they've listed sizes for skyscrapers, banners, etc. They also go beyond pixel dimension and list specifics for rich media ads including clickTAGs requirements, # of loops, file sizes limitations, etc.. It seems most of the publishers ask for the ads several days in advance. I'm curious to know how they are checking the ads to make sure they meet all the requirements listed on their website. In the print side, we refer to this as Preflighting a file. I don't know if there is a term for online advertising.

Greg

Old 02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
v7n Mentor

With regards to advertising on such sites, they normally use ad rotation programs that track that stuff. The tags, I'm thinking are probably the keyword tags you wish the content to rotate through, although I could be wrong. You'd be better off asking them what their methods are than me, at this point. I'm not even sure if anyone here can answer the question, but I'm quite sure I'm right in the ad rotation program I mentioned. Hope this helps.

Rich media, I can also tell you is things like flash and other non static banner types. The file size limitations are also probably controlled through the ad rotation software as well.

I run such a program myself to make running my affiliate programs easier, an ad rotation server. I can specify in that program setting all different kinds of things just like you mention above.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:40 AM

Hi moneyonlinesorg,

Thanks again for the feedback. Any chance you can PM me the name of the ad rotating software. I'm curious to know what it's capabilities are.

Thanks.

Greg

Old 02-08-2011, 03:14 PM
v7n Mentor

Na, no need to PM, this isn't self promotion so I'll toss it out there. OpenAds, err, wait a minute, lemme google, brb

Their front page is http://www.openx.org/ where you can find links to even corporate solutions, which I'd suspect some newspapers might use. But the one I really had in mind is the following:
http://www.openx.org/publisher/compa...erver-products

On that link, you'll want the source. Nothing to compile, they call it source because it's what their other solutions are based on, so it's OpenX source. Some refer to it as openx community version as well.

The following is plugins they already have for things like wordpress, drupal, and joomla:
http://www.openx.org/community/cms-plugins

Understand, this is stand alone server software unless you use a plugin. Meaning, like wordpress, you'll have to install it before you use it. And yes, web install just like wordpress and allot of other CMS/Blogging software. As always, when installing such software NEVER install it in default locations, NEVER leave administration stuff at default settings, and double check the software requirements against your server's capabilities.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:34 AM

Thanks a bunch!

Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 AM
v7n Mentor

No problem fire, hope it helps you figure things out. I've been using it for years to make running affiliate programs easier on my website properties. Heck of allot easier to go into an adserver and update ads than to update individual pages. Good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
Na, no need to PM, this isn't self promotion so I'll toss it out there. OpenAds, err, wait a minute, lemme google, brb

Their front page is http://www.openx.org/ where you can find links to even corporate solutions, which I'd suspect some newspapers might use. But the one I really had in mind is the following:
http://www.openx.org/publisher/compa...erver-products

On that link, you'll want the source. Nothing to compile, they call it source because it's what their other solutions are based on, so it's OpenX source. Some refer to it as openx community version as well.

The following is plugins they already have for things like wordpress, drupal, and joomla:
http://www.openx.org/community/cms-plugins

Understand, this is stand alone server software unless you use a plugin. Meaning, like wordpress, you'll have to install it before you use it. And yes, web install just like wordpress and allot of other CMS/Blogging software. As always, when installing such software NEVER install it in default locations, NEVER leave administration stuff at default settings, and double check the software requirements against your server's capabilities.
thanks for your link Dude. i am using the plug in for the wordpress site.
if you are telling how to know which size or shape is perfect for your site then i will say its a very easy thing and no tools are needed to do this. just before publishing the ads see the preview. it will be cleared when you will see it. basically most of the ads have some regular size which matches your site. like large rectangle, banner, square etc. you can also edit the layout if you want like moneyonlinesorg said

Old 11-24-2011, 01:17 PM

I guess I come late to this inquiry, but here in Argentina I use a page that checks if banners comply with the ad platform specifications. It's kind of incomplete, but if you work a lot with Microsoft Ad Network it's a charm! The page is www.checkmybannerspec.com
Salute!

Last edited by snakeair; 11-24-2011 at 07:16 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum