Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 09-21-2011, 11:44 PM
Banned

Thumbs down Is Social Promotion Bad For SEO?

My site is three months old, and I'm gradually starting to climb up the first page for my keyword, but in the meantime, I'm getting most of my traffic from social promotion.

I get about two hundred unique views a day from Twitter, but I'm wondering about the constantly changing back links, even though they are no follow, they must be being recognized by Google, and I'm also wondering about the bounce rate.

Is social promotion bad for SEO, or is it good, cause I remember hearing that Google does take social signals from Facebook and Twitter into account for ranking a site.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I use social submission every day and all is alright for my sites.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:03 AM

Social promotion is good to drive traffic on your website. Nothing bad affect on your SEO promotion. When you are driving traffic from social networks be sure to try and brand yourself.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Social Media Promotion is not bad for SEO, Your social media activity can force search engines to rank your site on your targeted keyword.

You're very correct here that search engines gives more weightage to social media trends. It's my personal experience. I've got 40+ retweets for my tweet and that url (mentioned in my tweet) was ranking on first page in Google.

It means you may rank your web page on targeted keyword without doing much link building.. only with more retweets.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:31 AM

Smile

Social media optimization is about reaching your target audience on social sites. If you think about it many people spend money on SEO Companies when a SMO (social media optimization) or a social promotion campaign can be a hundred times cheaper, and just as effective. In short social promotion isn’t bad; it’s just an easier and extra method to increase your online brand visibility. if you need anymore information feel free to reach me at <removed email link>

<Mod note....Please read the rules>

Last edited by Jim Gillum; 09-22-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: link removed

Old 09-22-2011, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

How did your concern about bounce rate enter into it? It's my understanding that Google only measures bounce rates for people who used a Google search to get to you. So i don;t think your bounce rate relevant to your social media links will affect your search engine results position.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:56 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Social media promotion is not bad for SEO even I would say it is good for SEO. If you will promote your website on social media websites then you will get traffic to your website as well as backlinks.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:20 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Well i don't think so. Social Promotion is different thing and web marketing is different.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 AM

I also don't think (and never heared) that twitter, facebook & co. are bad for SEO. It can be just good for your page. As long as you don't start spamming. I never heard about it, but believe that (especially google) have some filter to recognize spamming via social networks. Even it will be hard to figure out

Old 09-29-2011, 01:25 PM

Im using social marketing for my site. cant see any bad changes on traffic.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:37 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Is your social link for your site shorturl format? many social network change your link to short url so I don't think it will help for seo

Old 10-02-2011, 10:55 PM
Banned

First of all Social promotion is not bad for any website even it's a plus point for promote your website got a great traffic...

Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Although you know that Search engine optimization has many parts like Directory submission, article submission, social media etc. You have done Social media so it's time to do other seo things. Don't waste your time in more SMO, just turn your way now.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Social Bookmarking becomes more and more popular with improving influence on the rank. Still it is additional option

Old 10-03-2011, 05:00 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Absolutely not, Social Networking is the best way by getting traffic to your site and it helps to better your ranking on search engines.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:50 AM

Social promotion can never be bad!
The only thing that can be bad in your site, it links out to "bad sites" or worse optimization (on your site).

Old 10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I would go so far as to sale Social Promotion is good for SEO. It will force search engines to rank your website.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Social media promotion is a good way of getting traffic rather than backlinks and its good as long as it gives you good figures..

Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Banned

Social Media optimization is a good source to get traffic in your site . I am also doing SMO for my site and i have not any problem with it.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Red face And the winner is ...

I have read good answer that actually same as mine. I would like to agree and opposed on some points.

True, that social media is contributing in your traffic but not backlins at all, esp when they are nofollow links. Don't get comfortable and rely in Social Media Optimization(SMO), though they are a good source of traffic (SEM, SERP), better to do SEO on your way too. What if those social media sites eventually depreciates, and you don't do other way to promote your website? You will loose everything and will back from scratch.

It's wrong to say the word FORCE. Be careful in choosing your words my friends. Social media promotion will not force any search engines to rank your website, you are only creating awareness and giving signals to search engines that your website is here and you are existing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtaylor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPreciousKid View Post
I am finding that using social media to build brand awareness has brought SEO weight. Google is following Facebook and Twitter well. So I think of my Website>Blog>Facebook>Twitter as a circle. I post links from one to another.

EXAMPLE: When I bring in a new child safety product, I make a new page on my site for that product. Then I post a blog article about the new product and link to the website page. Then I post on FB and TW linking to the blog article. Google picks up all 4.
Excellent post, thanks. Green rep points added.

I do this, too, and I go one more step. I bookmark it first and then use the bookmarked URL to post to Tweet/FB.
Let's say your keywords are truly ranked and your website as well in google using those social media sites, I don't think so that your website actual URL will be on top 1 result, rather the social media you used having high PR. Right? Thus it will appear your website is just optimized for social media.

Lastly social media are just an avenue to promote your website and should not be counted in to do the whole SEO for you.

* About the backlinks, I don't know how you become worried about it. Is your bounce rate high? Low?
Read this, surely you will learn and be enlightened: What's your bounce rate? by v7n owner John Scott

facebook.com/V7Network <-- hit "Like" button.

Last edited by MrSS; 10-11-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Added some quoted posts

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread