Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM

What are your thoughts on directory submission services

I am just launching my software as a service and want to start some SEO. Being brand new to marketing online I have been doing a lot of reading about backlinking etc. Can anyone tell me if there are article and directory submission services that are legitimate and is this a viable part of developing strong SEO

Thanks for your help

Old 12-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

on this forums marketplace I think you can find lots member who sell that service.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 PM

Any suggestions on how to select someone reputable? Do these submissions actually weok? Thanks for your response I appreciate it!

Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 AM
Contributing Member

I am neither in the favor of directory submission services not against them.

Its just I believe in doing things manually. I prefer to hand pick every directory to make sure that every submission pays off well.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:36 AM
v7n Mentor

Be careful with any services. It is very easy for them to say they submitting your site to directories, but in reality simply take your money and do nothing or use auto submission services which offers your presence no quality links. It is best to only use those who are transparent with their services and are willing to give you a list of where they submitted your site to. A good thing to do is research the company to see if you can find any reviews.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:48 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Rebecca View Post
I am neither in the favor of directory submission services not against them.

Its just I believe in doing things manually. I prefer to hand pick every directory to make sure that every submission pays off well.
I share this point of view. I never use any paid services. It's simply hard to say which service is really good and helps your site rank higher. And, you do not have got control, where your links are placed. I do it manually, it takes a lot of time and is really boring side of SEO job. Perhaps , you have got any other ideas? Merry Christmas

Old 12-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

You can manually submit your site to different directories.They are free and takes times and is far better then paying service of directories.Directory submission are good for SEO but there are also other techniques that you should follow regularly.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:06 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

directory submission services pretty sure they don't
work.

but article submission services like submit your article
work very well.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony2313 View Post
directory submission services pretty sure they don't
work.

but article submission services like submit your article
work very well.
Please explain why you are "pretty sure " they don't work.....

Old 01-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

directory submission definitely works, at worst they will improve your Page Rank, at best they can actually improve your SERP and traffic

the best way to go about it is to hire a link submitter to work for you full time... you can find many experienced link submitters from philippines, nepal or india who can do the job well..

their salary will work out a lot cheaper than paying for one of those link submission packages... plus it's always easier to control the quality when you control your own staff

Old 01-10-2012, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Unfortunately link submission and other SEO services are so expensive, that only rich companies can afford that. I compare with my income. For me is more reasonable to find a little time each day and do SEO than pay for services someone else. To be reasonable to pay someone else, I need per hour earn more than I must pay....

Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I've used directory submission services a couple of times. They will generally do a good job of submitting your site to 1000 directories, and you can tell them exactly how you want it done with various titles, descriptions etc but .....

The directories could be:

1. Directories you don't want to spam - such as DMOZ
2. Directories that you don't really want to list in - such as auto-approved directories.
3. Directories that are building and accepting anything. Your submission meet guidelines but other listings may be lacking.

The best advice, freely given by many people is manual, manual, manual - check out each directory personally and verify that it is a place you want your pride and joy to be listed. After all, it is your pride and joy isn't it?

Old 01-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

When submitting manually, I check page rank of directory, number of indexed pages, domain age. Also SeoMoz DA (domain authority)...

Old 02-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Contributing Member

Directory submissions do still work and according to Google they do not devalue those links as of now. The thing about directory submissions is that it is NOT a instant gratification thing. It may take some time for those links to actually be counted and unless you have an upgraded listing on those directories the traffic will be minimal.

Still they are a good idea as it does help with getting your brand out there and it does help in getting your site to be an authority (a great deal more things are required to become an authority but this does help).

Old 02-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Directories will create a backlink to your site, but will have little to no effect on ranking. Even if your website is in a specific category, there's nothing relevant that would add any value to your link.

Find few edu blogs to comment on. It'll have a lot more effect on your ranking...

And in my opinion this has nothing to do with branding. Branding comes from content, credibility and authority status (not authority website). Spreading links doesn't mean you're branding yourself or your business. In a website directory your link isn't really exposed to targeted prospects, so branding can't really be the purpose of submitting your site to it.

Andre

Last edited by Econtinue; 02-04-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:13 AM
Contributing Member

You are entitled to your opinion but as someone that has built an authority site I know the directory submissions "help". They are not a concrete sure fire way to brand or build authority, but it is 1% of the puzzle.

As for commenting on edu sites, Google's own blogs says that they discount these links because they know what marketers have been doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econtinue View Post
Directories will create a backlink to your site, but will have little to no effect on ranking. Even if your website is in a specific category, there's nothing relevant that would add any value to your link.

Find few edu blogs to comment on. It'll have a lot more effect on your ranking...

And in my opinion this has nothing to do with branding. Branding comes from content, credibility and authority status (not authority website). Spreading links doesn't mean you're branding yourself or your business. In a website directory your link isn't really exposed to targeted prospects, so branding can't really be the purpose of submitting your site to it.

Andre

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum