Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Share |
Old 06-06-2006, 03:57 PM

Updating content after completion of a website

I’m trying to establish myself as a freelance web designer and promote my services. So, the types of projects I’m looking for (and working on) are small businesses and individuals in search of a web presence. I’m becoming more comfortable with the proposal process, talking with clients, establishing needs, coming up with a plan and executing it etc. However, I’m running into problems when it gets to the part about site maintenance and the updating of content… stuff like that. My question(s):
  • What’s a good formula for dealing with clients who require sites with a lot of upkeep?
  • Is there a good content management program or similar service I can introduce my clients to so they can update frequently changing content themselves?

I’ve got 5 or 6 basic sites under my belt and already, people are calling me and emailing me about “can you change this…” “can you update this…” What’s it going to be like when I have 50 sites?

Thanks,
Charlie
Charlielow.com

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2006, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Charlie,

I do a lot of maintenance for clients and if you are good, quick and charge a reasonable price, you can make a bit of money at it.

If you're absolutely not interested in doing maintenance, or your client absolutely wants to do it him/herself, I typically suggest Macromedia Contribute. it's easy to set up and everyone (even the most computer-challenged) has been able to figure it out. The nice thing is that it doesn't mess up the site when they go in and make edits.

Old 06-06-2006, 04:39 PM

thanks, I'll look into contribute, sounds about right

yea, I'd rather do the work myself, but in situations where the updates are balanced on the border of "freebie" and "I should charge for this" i usually opt for freebie, and i don't want too many of those situations to build up.

I assume you charge a fixed hourly for updates

Old 06-06-2006, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

yes, I do and it's typically just slightly less than my normal design rate. if we start getting into graphic-type edits or major code changes, it goes back to the normal rate.

Some clients will always try to get a freebie, I've found, but others are more than willing to pay for the time you spend on things. Took me a while to recognize which were which, but I do (most of the time) now.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum