Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing

Social Network Marketing Social media discussions. (Facebook, Twitter, Digg, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc)

Share |
Old 10-22-2006, 07:06 PM

Digg It?

I see a lot of people suggesting or trying digg as a way to generate traffic for a new site. In my experience, I don't know how effective this is. Certainly if you have a story that makes it to the front page it could generate some serious traffic.

Beyond that it might generate a trickle of one-time traffic. However, what is the long-term of even short-term benefit of this for a site? Seems to me not a whole lot. Especially since so many people do it now, and the people around Digg are very protective of the site these days and like to squash submissions that just come across as website promotions.

I am just wondering if it is really something a new website owner or novice should be worrying about. I don't think they are likely to see any substantial results and there are probably other ways for them to learn how to build traffic.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

well , I posted something on digg , it did not make the front page , but someone else took the story , posted it on there blog , with a link back to my site.. got me 200 unique hits...

if you get on the front page of digg , expect 1000's of hits.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Contributing Member

Personally I believe that 99% of people who get a digg spike, only get short term benefits (and alot of wasted bandwidth).
Not saying its a bad thing to Digg, however I wouldnt rely on it for long term visitors.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:46 PM
Contributing Member

it gets you exposure not so much visitors.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:52 PM
v7n Mentor

Someone "dug" one of my stories today...and so far its resulted in over 6000 UV. It got to the front page for a bit.

But it wasn't something that I submitted to digg or even asked anyone to submit for me. And I didn't ask people to "digg" it for me either.

I think it is something that is beneficial when its natural. I've tried submitting stories and getting people to digg mine in the past, but it doesn't do much other than get a few people to my site. But I think the person who dugg me today was what I like to refer to as a "power digger", in other words...one of the top digg people who submits stories that get hundreds and hundreds of diggs. I think if you are submitted by one of them then you're golden....

I dunno..that's just my take on it right now from what experience I've had with it.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Contributing Member

Digg's good. It's a real art to get on the front page.

Old 10-23-2006, 10:40 PM

Most sites won't get dugg or to the homepage of Digg.

There are, indeed, more ways to build traffic.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:24 PM

Digg can provide a lot of traffic to your site but it is short term. Many people started dig clans but all ended up getting banned.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:33 PM

Digg and other social bookmarkers are great for raising awareness. Bloggers trawl these sites looking for exciting and popular stories to blog about.. so to get your name out there could get you mentioned and earn backlinks.

The two reports in my sig offer more of my thoughts on this method for leveraging traffic.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:27 AM
Contributing Member

I found that digg was more hassle than what it was worth. I guess that it is alright if someone else adds some of your sites articles though.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:15 PM

I have experimented with digg for some time now. Even if you don't get on diggs front page you have the chance for getting your article read by someone who is interested in you niche, or at least what you have to say. That being said if you are writing new articles everyday you will always benefit from submittionf them to digg, I consider it and article submission directory, just one with tons of traffic.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:03 PM

I must say everyone is right in here
Temporary Traffic to your home page.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum > Social Network Marketing