Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 11-01-2006, 09:20 AM
Banned

getting paid to write blog entries

yes I work for a company that involves paying bloggers to link to websites, but I am starting a new thread to ask people what they think of this concept and how it can be improved. do you think it clogs the blogging world or is it a good chance to make money? what do you think of some blog hosting sites prohibiting commercial blogging, even if it is in your personal blog interspersed with your pesonal entries?

I am interested in hearing from blog writers and especially blog readers on this concept and problems you have with it.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:58 PM

As I have become a blog owner only recently, I can comment as both, a blog writer and reader.

As a reader, I don't see a reason why someone shouldn't link to a quality website. In fact, I am for external linking.

When a blog post is interesting, provides me with food for thought or with useful information, I can only welcome it. If it also offes me a tool or a product, to help me with it, why not. It just doesn't have to look like an ad. It has to be natural.

As a blog owner, I can say for sure: I'll only link to something I can recommend to my readers. In fact, I link out pretty extensively and I don't see a problem.

Now to the marketing point of view.

To get links from bloggers, you need to create content that is relevant and useful for the bloggers and/or their audience. This can be anything, depending on the industry.

Also, to get a link from a blogger (or a mention in a blog post), you can simply email the blogger and suggest him/her a new source of information, or an interesting product. But read his/her blog first, understand the style, the content and see if your site/product fits the blog. If not, try finding another.

Even finding 2-3 blogs that suit your product very well is some good luck here, I believe.

Did I say you don't have to pay for such mentions? Of course, though, you can offer a monetary incentive, if you get a refusal, but that's another story.

Also, instead of trying to buy your way to the top of the search engines and to win your customers hearts, you need to create quality content. It is very easily linked to, talked about and converts much better than anything.

Also, I'd advise optimizing your site for the humans, as well as using natural promotion methods. As the methods are built around providing value, they can only do good both for your customers, the middle-website and you.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.N.Onym View Post
As I have become a blog owner only recently, I can comment as both, a blog writer and reader.

As a reader, I don't see a reason why someone shouldn't link to a quality website. In fact, I am for external linking.

When a blog post is interesting, provides me with food for thought or with useful information, I can only welcome it. If it also offes me a tool or a product, to help me with it, why not. It just doesn't have to look like an ad. It has to be natural.

As a blog owner, I can say for sure: I'll only link to something I can recommend to my readers. In fact, I link out pretty extensively and I don't see a problem.

Now to the marketing point of view.

To get links from bloggers, you need to create content that is relevant and useful for the bloggers and/or their audience. This can be anything, depending on the industry.

Also, to get a link from a blogger (or a mention in a blog post), you can simply email the blogger and suggest him/her a new source of information, or an interesting product. But read his/her blog first, understand the style, the content and see if your site/product fits the blog. If not, try finding another.

Even finding 2-3 blogs that suit your product very well is some good luck here, I believe.

Did I say you don't have to pay for such mentions? Of course, though, you can offer a monetary incentive, if you get a refusal, but that's another story.

Also, instead of trying to buy your way to the top of the search engines and to win your customers hearts, you need to create quality content. It is very easily linked to, talked about and converts much better than anything.

Also, I'd advise optimizing your site for the humans, as well as using natural promotion methods. As the methods are built around providing value, they can only do good both for your customers, the middle-website and you.

Nice post... hope you read mine then...

Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I think paid posts aren't so bad, as long as the blogger was going to write about the site in question anyway, or at least as long as they're allowed to write what they want (including bad reviews!).

If posts become too much like adverts, blogs are useless. They're supposed to be personal, full of opinions and individual thoughts.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

The reason some hosting companies might have troubles hosting commercial bogs is that the first idea of online blogs meant free non-profit, personal pages but gradually they got more powerful and some hot blogs are now quite commercial and are regarded as websites rather than blogs.

Old 11-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

I do this any way, i have 4 PR5 blogs, and 3 PR6 blogs, peaple pay up to $40 for an article the in the Pr6 ones Keeps me busy!

Old 11-04-2006, 07:37 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
The reason some hosting companies might have troubles hosting commercial bogs is that the first idea of online blogs meant free non-profit, personal pages but gradually they got more powerful and some hot blogs are now quite commercial and are regarded as websites rather than blogs.
A blog doesn't neccessarily mean its non-profit, and it shouldn't. There are commercial websites and non=commercial websites. Same goes for blogs. Most "blogs" are "websites" too...they just use "blog software".

Old 11-04-2006, 09:38 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Pay Per Post is a great idea. The owner of a blog should be able to do whatever they want with their blog.

Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I checked out the site in your sig and it looks interesting. I will look into it further later on tonight.

Old 11-06-2006, 08:19 AM
Latest Blog:
None

If people continue to visit your blog and you don't compromise your value to your readers... go for it.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Latest Blog:
None

There's been a lot of debate recently about paid posts. It seems that readers want to know when they're reading a paid post, which is perfectly acceptable IMO. Ads are forcibly marked as such ("Ads By Gooooogle"), so why aren't paid posts?

I think it's a wonderful way for bloggers to be rewarded for their efforts, especially considering that many of them would be likely to write a similar post anyway.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:24 AM

Sounds like a good idea

Hello

A lot of bloggers are looking for ways to monetize....

How do you envision managing the posts,,,,,,,,moderate?

Hope your business is going well.

Leo Hanes
poof

Last edited by chicgeek; 06-21-2007 at 07:42 AM.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 AM

Hey Graham

Interesting site,,,,,you might consider centering the table, right now it is aligned on left of page.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Banned

yes i personally oversee checking the blogs and blog entries for quality assurance. we also have an automated bot that checks after 30 days and such.

Old 11-15-2006, 10:42 PM
Latest Blog:
None

I think it's a good idea if you aren't telling the blogger to lie about goods or services. If you're telling them to say, for example, I used this product and it was miraculous that's not exactly ethical, but advertising like that is on or TV every day. I think that blogs that are all ads are a pain, but I've read some really good content on blogs that had a few ads included, so it's not a terrible concept and it keeps the bloggers writing.

Last edited by NothingButNet; 11-15-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Pay Per Post is the equivalent to a radio DJ doing the ad instead of cutting to a commercial, IMO.

The difference is that PPP is relative to the blog usually. the DJ is just pimping some jewelry company (I hate that!) if a blogger gets paid to post relative posts, who cares? I, as the reader, won't know the difference.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Well met, Dustin07. I really didn't think about it like that, but you're right. Personally, I don't care for the blogs that say "and now, a word from our sponsor." Though I understand the reason for disclosure, it interrupts the flow of a blog.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 AM
v7n Mentor

I like paid blog entries, both buyong and selling. When selling I'm very careful about what I link to. When buying, I'm only slightly careful when it's a cheap blog entry. I think that's a great way to get diverse links for your sites although you ahve to differentiate between niche sites and all those "site review" blogs popping up all over. Those can be useful as well, but not as much as a niche blog obviously.
It is in playing and only in playing that the individual child or adult is able to be creative and to use the whole personality...
English as a second language

Old 11-21-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

another benifit, is that some blogs actually have readers! LOL. Of course you'll gain a handful of links (hopefully) on a blog post, which is great, but when they do have readers that's even better

Old 11-22-2006, 05:28 AM
v7n Mentor

The blog entries I sell generally drive traffic, but I haven't had much success buying blog entries that drive traffic... That's certainly something to consider when setting a price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin07 View Post
another benifit, is that some blogs actually have readers! LOL. Of course you'll gain a handful of links (hopefully) on a blog post, which is great, but when they do have readers that's even better
It is in playing and only in playing that the individual child or adult is able to be creative and to use the whole personality...
English as a second language

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum