Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

Search Ads vs Display Ads..which has been more effective for you?

Hi,

Have just started my display ad campaign, wanted your opinion whether it is worth the effort or not. I think the CTR would definitely be lower as compared to the search ads but in terms of no. of impressions and cost is it competitive as compared to search ads.

Also, how badly the lower CTR impacts the quality score of the keywords. I guess it would be better to use different keywords for display and search ads if that's the case.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2016, 06:30 AM

Search ads are always more effective because you are advertising to people who are looking right now for what you are selling while in display ads this is not the case at all.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Glad that someone finally replied ...but I think this is a common knowledge that for conversion sake search ads are better. But to increase brand awareness, due to the array of display options present I feel display should be explored by me. Just want to understand how does the cost per impression compares with search ads cost per impression

Old 11-22-2016, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Search ads can be costly as dependant on the niche the typical customer behaviour will vary greatly.

e.g Customer procurement studies have shown that women that are looking for shoes may browse up to 10 sites before returning to several before performing a final transaction.

I use placed ads for certain products, such as impulse buys. It works well and I get good ROI.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Makes sense to use display ads for impulse buys, will surely try it out. Also, quality score of keywords is another area of concern for me. From what I've noticed the moment CTR drops below 2% quality score automatically reduces to 1-3 range and thus combining search and display ads doesn't make sense for now. How does the QS behave for display ads? (presumably CTR would be lower than this on average)

Old 12-04-2016, 04:03 AM

For me display ads are most effective for a remarketing list. It's been a game changer when trying to increase engagement for a non-profit.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member

It depends upon advertising goals. But for me search ads are more effective as only people how are searching for your products can see the ads and more likely to become your customers.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav2555 View Post
Makes sense to use display ads for impulse buys, will surely try it out. Also, quality score of keywords is another area of concern for me. From what I've noticed the moment CTR drops below 2% quality score automatically reduces to 1-3 range and thus combining search and display ads doesn't make sense for now. How does the QS behave for display ads? (presumably CTR would be lower than this on average)
You need to run 10 ads minimum and see which works best. Then you can keep the best performing.

just setting up a single add is like throwing a hook into the sea and hoping you catch a blue fin tuna.

I am having great success with Bidvertiser at the moment. Ive found the sweet spot and I'm only paying 0.27 per click. I'm getting a 12% conversion rate for a product that sells for 29.99 and only costs me 5 to manufacture, package and post.

Last edited by Woomeister; 01-05-2017 at 04:24 AM. Reason: missing info

Old 01-05-2017, 04:22 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosesmith View Post
Search ads has more impact and are more visible whereas display ads are mainly for shopping products.
Factually way off.

Please avoid making assertion that are not backed up by your experiences or facts.

Old 01-10-2017, 06:07 AM

Search ad more effective for lead generation and goal conversion. But Display ad more effective for website awareness. search ad very costly marketing.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhijitk View Post
Search ad more effective for lead generation and goal conversion. But Display ad more effective for website awareness. search ad very costly marketing.
really? can you show us realworld results to look at? backup your claims if you want to to be taken seriously.

Old 01-11-2017, 04:00 AM

As per my experience, Search ads help in getting immediate sales or leads where as display ads will help in increasing brand awareness.

It is better to have combination of these ads to achieve great result. Example 1st target users who are coming through search because they have immediate requirements, Then create a remarketing display ads for non-converting audience

Old 01-13-2017, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

Display ads typically tend to have lower CTR than search ads, but that shouldn't really matter as long as they're getting conversions. What you should look at is cost per conversion or cost per acquisition of search vs display ads. For display ads to be effective, you really have to fine tune the target audience. This can be a process of trial & error, but once you get to peak performance, you'll be surprised at how effective display ads can be!

Old 01-15-2017, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

display ads have high CTR than search ads but search ads get more sale than display ads.
To increase convertion rate i use search ads

Old 01-16-2017, 02:08 AM

In my case, Display Ads worked really well. I think that depends on the market segmentation and keyword selection. My campaign was totally focused for re-marketing concept. So, may be search ads, in general, may give you optimized value but display ads worked best for my campaigns.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately had to give up on display ads (atleast partially) for the time due to a combination of reasons: as somebody has pointed our above reaching the right target audience is the key for display ads and unfortunately right now I don't have the time and budget to experiment on this front. Re-marketing does that for me so for the time being will focus on remarketing only for some time.

Experience so far: CTR was decent but I felt it was more off casual audience rather than those with intent which reflected in the increasing trend in the bounce rate. Surely, upon optimization would be good and will definitely work on it later.

Old 02-07-2017, 11:54 AM

I would suggest anyone to start with search since it has a lot better conversion ratio compared to display. After seeing some results from search you may switch to display slowly.

One of the most important thing with display is turn off mobile apps for adsense option. This can generate very low quality traffic from mobile apps.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:22 PM

If you can optimize your display campaigns, you can get good results with less cost. Display can send you very unrelated traffic if you dont optimize and monitor an on going basis.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:15 PM

something to remember is, do you want to capture someones attention when their attention is focused on finding a product or solution, or are their attention focused on wasting time by scrolling and not really being thoughtful.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haircare1 View Post
It depends upon advertising goals. But for me search ads are more effective as only people how are searching for your products can see the ads and more likely to become your customers.

Yes, I agree, search ads will be better option.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread