Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Share |
Old 11-25-2006, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Do you think article writing is effective?

It is often said that the best free method to generate links and driving traffic to your website. Exactly how effective is article writing. What does your experience say?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2006, 03:13 AM

Writing articles and submitting them to directories should drive traffic to your site and improve your linking to other sites.

This method have a few drawbacks, such as unscrupulous webmasters getting rid of your link if not your full credit.

However, search engines will index your site whether links are live or not so the more directories you submit to, the more times your name or that of your site will appear on an Internet research.

Old 11-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrain View Post
Writing articles and submitting them to directories should drive traffic to your site and improve your linking to other sites.
I would like to see an example where that has been successful? Come on some show us just one example! from all the hundreds of directory sites and thousands of articles… no one can, can they? Why should Google even award the sites with a bank link. Dupe content would easily discredit the page. Article writing can be a credible way of getting back links but you must write a unique article for good websites and then your rank could be given a huge boost!. So instead of following the sheep and submitting to directories follow the unique article method for hugely successful and white hat SEO strategy.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Think of how long the articles will also be "out there"..if lots of website owners use them..they will be all over the place..

If you have doubts..nothings going to change those doubts unless you try it yourself..

Better to have your own articles on your own site for others to use....

Old 11-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan007 View Post
Article writing can be a credible way of getting back links but you must write a unique article for good websites and then your rank could be given a huge boost!. So instead of following the sheep and submitting to directories follow the unique article method for hugely successful and white hat SEO strategy.
I agree. An article must truely be unique, and offer a unique perspective to the audience. There are alot of "me too" articles out that just focus on keyword stuffing and rarely offer anything new to the reader.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Good point.. always write for the reader.

I would agree with that 100%.

Rob

Old 11-26-2006, 06:45 PM

You can get some traffic from people reading your article on the different sites that pick up the article and then click on your link (by submitting to directories), but I wouldn't figure on search engine traffic to come knocking.

A good way to get search engine traffic with article writing is to offer a well established site a free updated article in exchange for a backlink.

Old 11-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Works for me all the time. As a matter of fact, my initial links to any site I start come from article sites. Last year I started a site, and even today I can see links coming back to this site from articles I submitted.
Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2006, 07:40 PM

That’s great jeet. I feel the same way. It is the cheapest way to promote oneself. It’s a win/win as people get information and the writer gets exposure.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeet View Post
Works for me all the time. As a matter of fact, my initial links to any site I start come from article sites. Last year I started a site, and even today I can see links coming back to this site from articles I submitted.
Hope that helps.

jeet can you please provide us with links of the articles, the site writing the articles and estimated traffic?

Old 11-29-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan007 View Post
jeet can you please provide us with links of the articles, the site writing the articles and estimated traffic?
Even if he provides those details I think it is important to remember that it is going to vary depending on the subject and quality of the article. If it's just a hastily put together article that is hard to read and understand or on a topic that no one cares about or on a subject that has the market flooded, you will see less links than on a well thought out, well written, interesting article on a niche topic that people are searching out.

Some of the best advice I ever received about article marketing and PR writing is to write the article and press release as if you were writing a newspaper article. And then go back and read it from the point of view of someone reading the paper. Is it interesting? Is it catchy? Is there a story? Will people want to know more?

Don't rush through writing 10 articles to try and get links, you will have far better luck writing one relevant and content rich article.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:04 PM

Please make sure that your articles are not only unique, but written well. Give your readers something they will actually enjoy reading and will gain something from rather than just trying to generate more traffic.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

Or get PLR articles...rewrite in own style... there you have it!

Old 11-29-2006, 04:58 PM

I am still on the fence regarding the effectiveness of submitting articles to directories. I have only submitted two articles (quality articles, in my opinion, that I took the time to write myself) and have had one of them picked up by a couple of sites and receive some traffic from it. I receive traffic, here and there, from the actual article sites. And, of course, I have acquired backlinks as well.

Overall, was it worth the time it took to write the article and submit? I am not sure. I don't think it is the best way to promote your site, but I do think there are some benefits.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Contributing Member

I like articles but find writing them tedious but you do get some good results sometimes.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la cala View Post
I like articles but find writing them tedious but you do get some good results sometimes.
I think they are tedious as well, but you know what? The more I wrote them, the more I was forced to learn more about the industries I am involved in, the better my articles became, the better content I came up with, and the better my results became.

Remember the whole idea that the search engines work on is providing relevant results, the more you learn about a subject matter, the more relevant your information becomes.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 AM

It varies from highly effective to time wasting...

Article marketing is like any other form of marketing. Some people do it really well, and other people do it poorly. It's not possible to say that something does or does not work across the board.

For example, I have a friend who tried to publish articles for backlinks, but he gave up in frustration. I tried to help him out, but he said it was a waste of time. Meanwhile, I've generated literally hundreds of quality backlinks by publishing through ISEDB.com and a half-dozen other channels.

I've been doing SEO for about 3 years (full time), and I still think article publishing is my most effective technique. Others will tell you it's a waste of time.

It all comes down to the technique.

-ASG

Old 11-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Contributing Member

Interesting points..

I have been playing around and trying differnet things related to article marketing.

I have written articles for ezinearticles.com and I got expert author status. I can say this is very importnant. Out of all the sites I submit my articles to, I never got a better response then from them.

Even if your articles are not picked up and used in other websites, being on ezine articles is just fine. I wrote 1 article and placed in there and I got about 50 visitors and 5 subscribers to my list from those visitors (approx.)

I dont even try with the others anymore...I mean...pagerank is good...but submitting to hundreds of articles sites really doest do too much... In the long run, you are better off with the higher quality of links...

Old 11-30-2006, 10:14 PM
Contributing Member

I agree with article writing. I have done also an experience on 100 article directory submissions for my client and get good results 60% and above accepting rates it you back link can become 60 if you submit in only 100. and if you submit in 300 and more you will get defiantly good results and i hope it can boost your link popularity well.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum