Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
  #1  
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM
starfox starfox is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-08-18
Posts: 4
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Is it harder to start a site/blog than it used to be?

I am having a rather difficult time getting any traffic to my blog after 6 months, and I was just wondering if it used to be easier? I am curious to hear some experiences from more veteran webmasters/bloggers.

It seems to me that the internet has evolved to the point where it is a lot harder to spam (which is good thing), but many of the safeguards against spammy websites make it harder for legit websites to get traffic when they're new.

For example, many forums don't let you post links to your own site or even let you put a link in your signature. If you are able to have a signature link it's nofollow of course.

If you post links in a comment section it sounds like Google will punish you instead of rewarding you.

Some people say that if you buy a link in a paid directory Google punishes you, and you don't get any traffic from them anyway (at least the ones I've used.)

I think people used to be able to get to the top of Google by spamming the right keywords, but Google is too sophisticated for that now.

And if you write good content with 'good' seo you are still on page 8 or worse on any kind of popular search because you have no links to your site and the popular keywords are already saturated with good quality content that is targeted for those keywords.
 

Advertisement

Advertisement

  #2  
Old 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 5,865
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
It seems to me that the internet has evolved to the point where it is a lot harder to spam (which is good thing), but many of the safeguards against spammy websites make it harder for legit websites to get traffic when they're new.
You are not far off the truth. Spam is junk. Safeguards against spammy sites, should make it easier for legit sites, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
For example, many forums don't let you post links to your own site or even let you put a link in your signature. If you are able to have a signature link it's nofollow of course.
Nothing wrong with a sig link (as long as its' not spammy), and yes, most are "nofollow", but so what? Any link can be good link "nofollow" or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
If you post links in a comment section it sounds like Google will punish you instead of rewarding you.
If you add value, you won't be punished. Just don't spam, be legit and do your due diligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
Some people say that if you buy a link in a paid directory Google punishes you, and you don't get any traffic from them anyway (at least the ones I've used.)
If you link in bad neighborhoods, then you get slapped. If not, be patient and stay the course. Note: The "nofollow" attribute is used for many things - paid links is one. And, back when we could see PageRank, Google wanted to stop the passing of, and manipulation of PR, so they invented "nofollow".

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
I think people used to be able to get to the top of Google by spamming the right keywords, but Google is too sophisticated for that now.
I think that was a long time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
And if you write good content with 'good' seo you are still on page 8 or worse on any kind of popular search because you have no links to your site
It depends on what you are going after and how crowded the market is for certain terms. If you are using well thought out logical steps, you should be better than page 8, unless you are going after the golden orb of keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
and the popular keywords are already saturated with good quality content that is targeted for those keywords.
Yes, like I mentioned above - it can be crowded. But, I'd take 75 click thru's a month for a long-tail, less competitive term, than zero clicks on a highly desirable term. Get my drift?

Last edited by LMD; 03-08-2018 at 12:20 PM.
 
  #3  
Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM
starfox starfox is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-08-18
Posts: 4
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
You are not far off the truth. Spam is junk. Safeguards against spammy sites, should make it easier for legit sites, no?



Nothing wrong with a sig link (as long as its' not spammy), and yes, most are "nofollow", but so what? Any link can be good link "nofollow" or not.
What do you mean by 'good' nofollow? Do you just mean that at least some people might click your link and go to your site?

Theoretically, measure that limit spam should help legit sites. It probably helps established legit sites the most, but maybe it makes it take longer for newer sites to get some traffic since they are more limited in what kind of free marketing they can do. It seems like you mostly have to try to write good content and hope somebody eventually finds it and links to you.
 
  #4  
Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 AM
LMD's Avatar
LMD LMD is online now
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: 11-04-12
Location: Where my wife tells me to be. :)
Posts: 5,865
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
What do you mean by 'good' nofollow? Do you just mean that at least some people might click your link and go to your site?
I mean, in a basic way, links with and without the nofollow attribute can be good links.
 
  #5  
Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 PM
visakanv visakanv is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 03-11-18
Location: Singapore
Posts: 2
iTrader: 0 / 0%
It definitely used to be easier, say in the mid-2000s – in those days, there weren't many people blogging at all – so you could make friends and get backlinks from other bloggers literally by talking to each other in the comments. This is still possible, but it's harder because it's so spammy. It's more important than ever to really dig into the niches.
 
  #6  
Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 AM
Poocho Poocho is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 04-16-18
Posts: 13
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Alright, So you are hesitating about to open a blog or site well if i tell you about online reputation the first step to understand that you are not going to face any kind of failure while doing this may be results were come to you little late but no worries about failure of the campaign because it wont going to happen. Day some day you will definitely find it profitable for your business
 
  #7  
Old 05-09-2018, 10:36 PM
seoauthority's Avatar
seoauthority seoauthority is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: 05-06-18
Posts: 39
iTrader: 0 / 0%
starting a blog would be, there is intense competition for most niches.

But if you are willing to put in the work, and play the long game, i dont' see why you cant be successful, even today
 
Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to start new business aecpvtr Online Business Forum 11 04-18-2018 03:00 AM
How long has it taken you to start receiving consistent traffic? davesells Marketing Forum 59 01-29-2018 08:43 AM


V7N Network
Get exposure! V7N I Love Photography V7N SEO Blog V7N Directory


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2014 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
Copyright © 2003 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC