Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-08-2018, 11:11 AM

Is it harder to start a site/blog than it used to be?

I am having a rather difficult time getting any traffic to my blog after 6 months, and I was just wondering if it used to be easier? I am curious to hear some experiences from more veteran webmasters/bloggers.

It seems to me that the internet has evolved to the point where it is a lot harder to spam (which is good thing), but many of the safeguards against spammy websites make it harder for legit websites to get traffic when they're new.

For example, many forums don't let you post links to your own site or even let you put a link in your signature. If you are able to have a signature link it's nofollow of course.

If you post links in a comment section it sounds like Google will punish you instead of rewarding you.

Some people say that if you buy a link in a paid directory Google punishes you, and you don't get any traffic from them anyway (at least the ones I've used.)

I think people used to be able to get to the top of Google by spamming the right keywords, but Google is too sophisticated for that now.

And if you write good content with 'good' seo you are still on page 8 or worse on any kind of popular search because you have no links to your site and the popular keywords are already saturated with good quality content that is targeted for those keywords.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2018, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox View Post
It seems to me that the internet has evolved to the point where it is a lot harder to spam (which is good thing), but many of the safeguards against spammy websites make it harder for legit websites to get traffic when they're new.
You are not far off the truth. Spam is junk. Safeguards against spammy sites, should make it easier for legit sites, no?

Quote:
For example, many forums don't let you post links to your own site or even let you put a link in your signature. If you are able to have a signature link it's nofollow of course.
Nothing wrong with a sig link (as long as its' not spammy), and yes, most are "nofollow", but so what? Any link can be good link "nofollow" or not.

Quote:
If you post links in a comment section it sounds like Google will punish you instead of rewarding you.
If you add value, you won't be punished. Just don't spam, be legit and do your due diligence.

Quote:
Some people say that if you buy a link in a paid directory Google punishes you, and you don't get any traffic from them anyway (at least the ones I've used.)
If you link in bad neighborhoods, then you get slapped. If not, be patient and stay the course. Note: The "nofollow" attribute is used for many things - paid links is one. And, back when we could see PageRank, Google wanted to stop the passing of, and manipulation of PR, so they invented "nofollow".

Quote:
I think people used to be able to get to the top of Google by spamming the right keywords, but Google is too sophisticated for that now.
I think that was a long time ago.

Quote:
And if you write good content with 'good' seo you are still on page 8 or worse on any kind of popular search because you have no links to your site
It depends on what you are going after and how crowded the market is for certain terms. If you are using well thought out logical steps, you should be better than page 8, unless you are going after the golden orb of keys.

Quote:
and the popular keywords are already saturated with good quality content that is targeted for those keywords.
Yes, like I mentioned above - it can be crowded. But, I'd take 75 click thru's a month for a long-tail, less competitive term, than zero clicks on a highly desirable term. Get my drift?

Last edited by LMD; 03-08-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
You are not far off the truth. Spam is junk. Safeguards against spammy sites, should make it easier for legit sites, no?

Nothing wrong with a sig link (as long as its' not spammy), and yes, most are "nofollow", but so what? Any link can be good link "nofollow" or not.
What do you mean by 'good' nofollow? Do you just mean that at least some people might click your link and go to your site?

Theoretically, measure that limit spam should help legit sites. It probably helps established legit sites the most, but maybe it makes it take longer for newer sites to get some traffic since they are more limited in what kind of free marketing they can do. It seems like you mostly have to try to write good content and hope somebody eventually finds it and links to you.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
What do you mean by 'good' nofollow? Do you just mean that at least some people might click your link and go to your site?
I mean, in a basic way, links with and without the nofollow attribute can be good links.

Old 03-11-2018, 08:24 PM

It definitely used to be easier, say in the mid-2000s – in those days, there weren't many people blogging at all – so you could make friends and get backlinks from other bloggers literally by talking to each other in the comments. This is still possible, but it's harder because it's so spammy. It's more important than ever to really dig into the niches.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:12 AM

Alright, So you are hesitating about to open a blog or site well if i tell you about online reputation the first step to understand that you are not going to face any kind of failure while doing this may be results were come to you little late but no worries about failure of the campaign because it wont going to happen. Day some day you will definitely find it profitable for your business

Old 05-09-2018, 10:36 PM

starting a blog would be, there is intense competition for most niches.

But if you are willing to put in the work, and play the long game, i dont' see why you cant be successful, even today

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread