Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-08-2007, 09:29 PM
Contributing Member

Avoid passive verbs. Search your text for every instance of is, are, be, am, was, and were. Rack your brain to figure out how to reword the sentences to avoid those verbs. They can kill the momentum of the text. You can often avoid those verbs simply by flipping your sentence over.

Design for the 1 second, 3 second, and one minute read. Structure your use of headlines, headings, subtext, bold text, and call outs in such a way that the hurried scanner can glean your major points in three seconds.

I was at a seminar a couple of years ago where the instructor explained research on readers of printed pages. She said a certain percentage of readers will flip through pages reading only headlines and the subtext under photographs. Conclusion: repeat your sales message in the subtext of photographs.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Make the first two sentences the "attention-getter" so that the reader will be more enticed to read the whole article

Old 08-17-2007, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

essential copywriting

convey what is in it for the customer in a credible way.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:30 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Keep it short paragraph and direct to the point. Correct grammar and punctuation.

Old 09-01-2007, 10:56 PM
Contributing Member

In my opinion the text should not take the whole width but some 70-80% of it.
e.g. table with 70-80% width

Old 01-26-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Copywriting tips

I'm always a sucker for the 'limited time only' copy and 'limited number only' because I don't want to miss out.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:41 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Here are tips of how you can improve your copywriting so that your articles get read and enjoyed.

1. Write from the readers point of view
2. Use short paragraphs
3. Use numbers and bullets
4. The importance of a good attention-grabbing title
5. Use Sub-headings
6. Keeping the reader interested from start to the finish
7. Utilize figures

Regards

Old 02-07-2009, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I am not a copywriting expert... far from it.

but you can study the dan kennedys, gary halbert,

michael fortin these guys are.

you can go to there sites or blogs to recieve free information

on copywriting

Old 02-08-2009, 02:08 AM

Wow, this is a pretty broad topic.

But if there is one guiding principle I would say is more important than anything else... more important than any "tip" or "technique" no matter how "killer", "secret" or "surefire" it is... it's this:

KNOW YOUR PROSPECT

You see, if you don't have an intimate understanding of who your message is for, you'll have a difficult time writing something that will capture his attention, arouse his deepest desires, and move him to action.

Start with your prospect. Everything else is secondary.

Aaron

Old 02-08-2009, 11:48 AM

There doesn't seem to be any specific venue being discussed and that does make a difference. Effective email content is completely different from effective website content, article content, etc., etc.

But, generally, my biggest suggestions are:

1. Proofread, both for spelling and grammar. Nothing loses credibility faster than poorly written content. And don't rely on any spellcheck or grammatik. They cannot tell you when "you're" and "your" are right or wrong, nor can they tell you whether it's readable or awkward-- only people can do that.

2. Say it in a positive way. It is always easier to say something in a positive way than negative. Just in terms of the amount of keystrokes, it's always shorter. And, 90% of the time, the point is clearer. Yet I see it all the time. Writers say, "it won't take as long as you think it will..." (for example) when it's faster and easier to say, "it's quicker than you think."

Cheers!

Mo

Last edited by trackermo; 02-08-2009 at 11:53 AM.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelia View Post
...I get a newsletter, periodically, that arrives in text form, with the html version (for some reason, I don't know what) posted immediately below. I always find the html version easier to read, although the text is exactly the same. It's a matter of having things broken up with images, headings, and other formatting.

Another thing I find under-used on the web is pull-quotes. Taking a short phrase and highlighting it can draw the reader in, especially if it's controversial or intriguing.

A lot of people are saying, "keep it short, web users only scan text". I'm not so sure that's true: I personally like to read in-depth articles on the web as well as in print. But it has to be very carefully presented, and broken up into bite-sized chunks to a greater extent.
You make a good point except that a lot of email servers automatically block out html coding, images, etc... so, for deliverability, it's not always feasible to add those.

Mo

Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM

the thing is about short text it loses its persuasion, and quality, but then again people don't like to set down and read something that is 5 paragraphs long unless its very interesting.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:22 AM

Words, good choice of words. The things I notice which has something interesting. I mean like selecting the best keyword for the matter. In a line there are some words that always catches the eye even in the middle of a large article. So, my point is identifying the point.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Write more keyword.

I confirm.

1st google page.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Latest Blog:
None

I will write what I want to do with the product and for sure what I don't wanna do meaning some should not make a copy of it.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

you can take alook at the site below

for copywriting tips

http://www.newofficialbusiness.com/copywriting.html

hope that helps

Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:

[CaRP] Unknown document format.

1.Write from the readers point of view!
Write about the benefits instead of the features.

2.Use short paragraphs:
If your paragraphs are very long, the reader will get confused because it feels like too much hard work to read.It is easy for the reader to disregard a paragraph and move on to reading articles that both look good and are easy to read.A paragraph can be a single sentence, or even a single word!

3.Use numbers and bullets:
People like lists! Numbers and bullets can quickly make the point easy to understand.Format you bullets and numbers with indentations so that your article won’t look like a single block of square paragraphs.

4.The importance of a good attention-grabbing title:
If your title can entice a person’s curiosity you’re already halfway in getting a person to read your article.Use questions and statements that includes the keywords people are looking for. Use titles like, “7 Tips Of Good Copywriting” or “How To Start A Successful Home Business Quickly”.Using titles that command people and reaches out to a persons emotions work also really well.

5.Use Sub-headings:
Use sub-headings to sub-divide your paragraphs in the page.By doing so you will break each point into sections.This makes it easy for the reader to simply move on from one point to another.

6.Keeping the reader interested from start to the finish:
From your opening paragraph, use real life situations that can be adopted by the reader. Use good descriptions and metaphors to drive in your point, just don’t over do it.Driving your examples with graphic metaphors and similes would make it easy for them to imagine what you are talking about. Making the experience pleasurable and enjoyable for them.

7.Utilize figures:
Utilize figures when necessary and not just ordinary and insipid statements. Using specific facts and figures can heighten your article because it makes it authoritative. But do not make it too formal, it should be light and easy in them and flow

Old 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM

http://www.melissadata.com/tips/copywriting.htm

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-23-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:31 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Copywriting is a skill, you should keep the reader stuck to your article. Dont overload the information at once, at the starting of the article introduce to the topic, divide the content into chunks with proper information sharing. Add the links where you need it necessary to add.

At the end conclude the topic with all the essence and display a god message through the article

Old 10-31-2009, 08:33 AM

My suggestion

Keep it short and sweet your audience will love it

Last edited by snakeair; 10-31-2009 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Links removed

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread