Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Share |
Old 06-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Adwords Management - How Much do you Charge?

Here at 52 Limited we are discussing out sourcing our Google Adwords management.

After spending about an hour today browsing, looking and calling several local search engine marketing companies in portland oregon ~ I've concluded most firms {none that I found} are advertsing their rates for Adwords Management. Or in other words - they don't post on their websites how much they charge. Several of the firms I called tried to get me to tell them how much we spend per/month. I hate being sized up like that.... It would seem that a flat fee for Adwords set up is fair.

So far I've heard of rates at $30 a month - $100 a month - and even $5000.00 a month from a firm that is notorious here in Portland with search marketing & SEO.

What is a fair price to charge for Adwords management?

What do you charge for Adwords Management per month?

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2007, 07:21 PM

A flat fee to pay for adwords setup is not fair. What if you have a million keywords as apposed to 20? How fair is that?

Those who asked the size of your account shouldn't just be shunned. Your SEM is your marketing partner. There shouldn't be such a lack of trust. Due diligence by all means, but you have to give a little to receive a lot.

We generally charge a % of the advertising spend per month. If an account is too small, we charge a minimum fee. So it makes sense to size up an account.

Also, it completely depends on the market. Why should we charge the same price managing an account selling dog treats for a specific dog breed as apposed to a site generating mortgage leads? They are two very different industries and one needs a lot more work than the other.

If you care to give as much details as you can, I can give you a sample quote as to what we would charge and you can base your research on that if you like.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Ok Redfly, you have some very valid points there. Well put.

Details -
Approx 50 keywords
Defined Under 6 Groups
Web Design Jobs
Creative Jobs
Copywriting Jobs
Graphic Design Jobs
Advertising Jobs
Marketing Jobs

--> Target is the local market for paid search and national market for organic search.

----> Does that help ?

Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 PM

Again, it depends. How much are you willing to pour into PPC per month?

Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM
Contributing Member

Location: On the river, near the ocean at the bottom of the mountain.
After you set up an Adwords account, they are pretty easy to manage. If I did charge I would probably charge a $200.00 set up fee, unless they have over 20 keywords it should be more for set up.

I don't know what to charge per month.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:18 PM

That does not surprise me that you have gotten such a range of bids. Much like web design, there are people who actually have design and programming backgrounds, and then there are the son of your sister's cousin who will do the work for beer money, not to mention the inexpensive services of our many hard working 3rd world tech-savy brethren living where the American dollar goes further.

I base it on hours. $2500 for the first month ( 25 hours or so. I have to do a lot of reworking, optimizing, and building of adgroups even for the existing account). Then for the following two months $1500 a month (15 hours). At the 4th month, if the client has been advertising previously they will notice a substantial savings and cost per lead way down compared to the months previous to my account management.

That is when the rate changes to $2000 a month retainer or a 10% of the ad buy, whichever is higher. In time I will still be constantly a/b split testing ads and sending in reports for new niche and longtail keyword considerations, but work will not be based on the hourly for it is used to subsidize the following cost savings for the average client. This is all done under a six month contract. Total contract = $9,500 for six months of work.

I manage accounts spending a combination of around 500k a year ( one account makes up 50% of that). Some of these accounts create leads that result in $4000 sales, and some result in an average customer spending $200. I am certified through Google (Make sure the company that you use is a "Qualified Google AdWords Advertising Company"). Much like a degree, it mostly just means you studied and took a few tests, but they should care enough to get this if they are charging over 2k a month. Also, make sure they put someone on your account that has enough experience.

AdWords has only been out for five years (Goto before being bought by Overture started in '99), and there are many people that are now considered "experts" when he/she have only been using the system for six months. Ask what they consider success metrics of their management services. You should hear words like : Positive ROI/ROAS, lowering cost per customer/acquisition, upping traffic while lowering cost per click, constantly tapping into niche and longtail keywords that will create qualified clicks for less money. If they say "More Traffic and Branding" RUN!

Much of this does vary industry to industry Redfly is right. I do believe there should be certain hourly rates though. It is the client's media spend, they are paying for the expertise.

Last edited by seostew; 06-19-2007 at 04:40 PM.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:50 AM

From the agencies I've seen in the UK, standard monthly fee is 15% of spend, with a minimal initial setup fee.

MG

Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Banned

That's strange, maybe you can ask them to provide proof of pervious customers and references.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfly View Post
Again, it depends. How much are you willing to pour into PPC per month?
- Ok... we are looking to spend about $300 per month.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:36 PM
v7n Mentor

For most websites, we charge a flat fee of $300.00 for Adwords set up. Generally speaking it usually takes about 2 to 3 hours to set up and account properly. The more words, the more time it take right?

Then depending on the size of the clients offering, maintenance and up keep is usually billed between $100 & $500 per month. It totally depends on the size of the clients campaign. The given prices are based on a smaller sized adwords campaign.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

Don't choose anyone who charges a percentage of your spend. Choose the one who can guarantee a minimum fixed number of unique (and genuine) visitors for your budget.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viswablr View Post
Don't choose anyone who charges a percentage of your spend. Choose the one who can guarantee a minimum fixed number of unique (and genuine) visitors for your budget.
I'm sorry, but that is absolute crap. Why don't I sign my clients up to an autosurf program? Why don't I bid on high volume irrelevant keywords? Why don't I bid on "free **whatever***" terms. Why don't I spam my clients link all around the web?

Seriously.

% Ad spend based on a rolling ROI base (average) recalculated every 3 months keeps US on our toes and insures the client campaign is ALWAYS growing and becoming MORE PROFITABLE.

Viswablr, What results have you seen "charging by the unique?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:49 PM

I would charge $250.00 set up fee

Old 07-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

Location: On the river, near the ocean at the bottom of the mountain.
Arrow

Would you charge a set up fee of $250 if your client had a keyword list of over 1000 keywords? Say they might want to split that into 20 categories, with 50 different urls to promote? Then each category or url has 3 different ad variations...

Sometimes it's necessary to create a larger set up fee based on the labor it involves. If a client with a large keyword list drops into your lap, it's good to have your prices already set and ready to go for when you start presenting your proposal. The more time you take in the beginning to set up the Adwords, the more powerful it will be.

Old 07-30-2008, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

I've looked into outsourcing as well, but haven't yet. In my opinion, the fee should be based on the number of terms. Average spend can vary a lot depending on the cost of the keywords. Plus, the person managing my account would have a conflict of interest, because by raising my bids means they would make more money. I've been using adwords and overture for years, and it seems to me that the time involved is directly related to how many keywords I've got active at a given time. I'd rather pay a fee based on number of adwords, plus an incentive bonus that is based on increasing my ROI.

You also need to ask what services they are going to provide. For example, are they going to do A/B testing, keyword research, time of day/week optimization, etc? Just babysitting an account doesn't take that much time, but truly understanding your market and increasing conversions/ROI is part science and part art. People that are good at it are worth a lot.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Contributing Member

AdWords management? I think you can manage your own AdWords campaign, it's not too difficult. And the money you save from professional management can be put directly into the campaign.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum