Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Check your sent messages. I never got it because you never sent it...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I appreciate the input so far, but I was actually curious to take this in another direction. Instead of focusing on the factors that pop into mind as commonly affecting your purchasing decisions, let's analyze actual recent purchases. I think by doing so, we can find factors that we may have overlooked in the past.
My wife was doing some online shopping this weekend so I popped in and watched over her shoulder. Her hompage is Google and she did a two word search for a type of product she was looking for. The results page came up and she clicked on the #1 spot which in this case happended to be one of the AdWords ads positioned at the top of the top (not on the right).

She shopped on the site for about 15 minutes then made a $28 purchase. When I asked why she clicked on the Google result she did instead of the others she said "because it was first".

Old 07-02-2007, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

I look for reviews by customers. Like a cnet type thing, then prices. I would never purchase from a site that looked like it was made in someones basement, and I try to make sites that don't look like I am making them from mine : P

Old 07-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, don't know if this is to point but I hope so. Recently I had to replace my antivirus. Norton sux and Zone Alarm was driving me batty! Then I downloaded a free one Avast, good but annoying since if it determines something is amiss it locks up my computer. Okay, enough with the background.

I then went to download.com and did a standard search for antivirus. Granted I was going cheap and free, but what sold me to try a 30 day trial were the reviews by Cnet and real live (??) users of the Avg Malware software.

So I'd say that having outstanding reviews and/or testimonials from real people (to the best we can determine they are real) surely has an effect on whether I go with a product or not.

BTW, I'm 1/2 way through the trial and most likely will be buying when it expires - so someone did something right

Was this what you meant John? As an example of buying behavior that is...

Old 07-06-2007, 01:28 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromChicago
She shopped on the site for about 15 minutes then made a $28 purchase. When I asked why she clicked on the Google result she did instead of the others she said "because it was first".
Interesting analysis. I don't think that'd be the case for big ticket items though.

Old 07-06-2007, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highanddry View Post
I look for reviews by customers. Like a cnet type thing, then prices. I would never purchase from a site that looked like it was made in someones basement, and I try to make sites that don't look like I am making them from mine : P
I've purchased from sites that look like they were made in people's basements. Hand knitting shops and especially machine knitting shops often are run in people's basements, or sheds. The web sites look like it.

If I've heard good things about the service from others, I'll buy. There is a lot of word of mouth about products on email lists and in clubs.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcristo View Post
Interesting analysis. I don't think that'd be the case for big ticket items though.
What's your definition of big ticket?

Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Contributing Member

Location: On the river, near the ocean at the bottom of the mountain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highanddry View Post
I look for reviews by customers.

Me too, I look for the reviews. I won't buy spendy electronics until after I've read reviews. Reviews are important for me when considering a purchase.

Not so much though if I already know what I'm getting.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:13 PM

When looking in the Search engine, I tend to go for the ones with the domain names that make the most sense. If I'm looking for a computer for example, I tend not to go to sites that are off the wall. I may be missing out, and I've never actually thought about it before. I'm going to pay more attention, it can only help with my site. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

I recently purchased a new camera and probably over-analysed everything. I went with a slightly more expensive price because I trusted the site more. (not some fly-by-night company with purple text and animated flags) Now when I went to buy the 2-gb memory stick, I went the cheapest route possible. Turned out it was a chinese company. Half price, and it took 2 weeks to show up, but for smaller items, I am willing to take the risk.

Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromChicago View Post
What's your definition of big ticket?
$200-300+

Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

I do a couple of things:

1. See how easy their site is to use
2. Do a background check using Google
3. Compare them to related sites

Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM

One word - testimonials...

If someone I know and respect has something good to say about a product that I think I might need....consider that bought

And oh, the seller...who's selling it?

I have groups of people I buy stuff from..

the gurus - not always the easiest to decide whether to buy or not
people i have bought from before - becomes a no brainer at this point especially if you have testimonials from others I trust in the market
Unknown people - people I've never heard of means I probably dont buy..especially in the IM niche (unless you supply me with testimonials...) And, I stay away from pages with paypal "proofs"..just turns me off

Last edited by AnaB; 07-18-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:57 PM
Individualist

Ever buy something because the company is buying advertising on big name sites like Internet.com, etc? I have done that. I guess the reasoning is, if they can afford that kind of advertising, they are legit and won't be disappearing any time soon.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Yes if I see companies advertising on big name websites I tend to trust them more.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Side-by-side comparisons really do it for me when buying a laptop or server or anything that offers various levels of service. It's an easy way to cut through most of the marketing bull**** and get the facts about the products even if it still is from the marketers that the info comes from it seems less so. It makes you feel as if you are shopping around and finding a deal, but whatever the choice is they win and you feel like you've made the right choice by your onesies rather than have Mr. Advertiser tell you that product a is the best.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Just wonderin have any of you guys bought something on a one page sales letter type website like a ebook or whatever? and what made that one page sales letter trust worthy? would greatly benifit me if you could answer that

Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

I usually start with Froogle or Amazon. Amazon keeps me coming back because my credit card through Amazon gives me about $50 in gift certificates per month. On these two sites, I am very price conscious. However, I have in the past paid up to 15% more to buy from a merchant whose name I recognized. I am typically buying name brand or fungible items such as toner, paper, and printers. So the merchant's only job is to show me the products I want, ship them quickly, and offer low prices.

On the less common occassions when I am shopping for one-time purchase items made by the merchant such as dog training equipment, I am far less price sensitive. I am then looking for signs of quality and trustworthiness. High resolution photos of the product, thorough descriptions, a physical address, and membership with the BBB help me feel better about quality and trustworthiness.

Once on the site, I am looking for very simple layout, large text, bright colors, and easy movement through the buying process. Small text frustrates me and makes me want to go elsewhere. Dark colors connote a lack of trustworthiness to me personally.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Contributing Member

Cost Analysis for me always consists of this how many hours do I have to work in order to afford this item?

Lets keep this simple.. Lets say I make $10/hr, Product costs $200..

Is this product going to help me so much or give me so much joy that it's worth 20 hours (half a week) of work? That's what I always ask myself before making a purchase over $100.

Online marketing: I only shop at the big boys online.. Wal-mart, Staples, Amazon, etc.. The only way I'll shop a smaller outfit online is by word of mouth recommendation.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:17 AM
Contributing Member

This is an excellent topic. I am wondering the same - the reason being that I can attract people with google adwords, but cannot convert them.

Having an out of date website is a stay away sign for me.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread