Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Marketing Forum Marketing, branding and advertising discussions. Online and off-line marketing discussions.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 02-23-2008, 09:38 PM
Individualist
Latest Blog:
None

Brand Management

I hear people talk about brand management a lot. Usually they mention it as a justification to pay some blogger to post something entirely superficially positive on their blog, often on a blog that has no credibility and is full of other paid posts.

That's not brand management. Brand management, in my opinion, is dealing with the criticism that comes up on the Internet, in forums and blogs. Not "paying to make it go away" but by responding to it personally or having a representative respond to it, in an honest way.

Let's say you own xyzhosting.com, and somebody posts that xyzhosting.com sucks because the servers were down for an hour.

Now you can go pay some shills to post nice stuff about you, but it ain't going to carry any weight.

Was the server down? If it was, then make right. What was the cause? Was the cause addressed to prevent a recurrence? Then post that. And if somebody is complaining, admit that their complaints are legitimate and win them back by being honest and by making good, for example by offering them a refund and free hosting to make up for your mistake.

That, in my opinion, is brand management. Not paid posts on paid post blogs that carry no weight.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post
I hear people talk about brand management a lot. Usually they mention it as a justification to pay some blogger to post something entirely superficially positive on their blog, often on a blog that has no credibility and is full of other paid posts.

That's not brand management. Brand management, in my opinion, is dealing with the criticism that comes up on the Internet, in forums and blogs. Not "paying to make it go away" but by responding to it personally or having a representative respond to it, in an honest way.

Let's say you own xyzhosting.com, and somebody posts that xyzhosting.com sucks because the servers were down for an hour.

Now you can go pay some shills to post nice stuff about you, but it ain't going to carry any weight.

Was the server down? If it was, then make right. What was the cause? Was the cause addressed to prevent a recurrence? Then post that. And if somebody is complaining, admit that their complaints are legitimate and win them back by being honest and by making good, for example by offering them a refund and free hosting to make up for your mistake.

That, in my opinion, is brand management. Not paid posts on paid post blogs that carry no weight.
John,

don't take this the wrong way, but wouldn't that be common sense?

I mean if you ask me that would be common sense and you should try to avoid that conflict before anything like that was to ever happen which don't take me wrong you can't please every one, but I guess if someone is not famaliar with brand Management then I guess they shouldn't be in business.

Also that makes no sense what so ever I mean why would someone pay someone to post a silly post on there blog the bottom line is if you take care of your people they will spread your name.

Last edited by tdd1984; 02-23-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Knock them out - you can pay a pro or do it yourself - corporate war - destroy the site (rankings) that has the post..... knock it to page 3, no big deal

It's more ethical to knock them out by getting placement ahead of it, but it's so so easy to just knock them out.

Posting nice stuff is not what you want - it has to be gone -

Small Guy, ethical?

Live with it...... lol

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-24-2008 at 07:18 AM.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:28 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Yea, pinkfluff, what you said goes along with John's post 'business is war'.
But, if you build your business with sound practices, and strong customer support, then success will come naturally. Sure, you could take some cheap shots to get ahead faster, but business karma's gunna get you.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:47 AM
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMall View Post
Yea, pinkfluff, what you said goes along with John's post 'business is war'.
But, if you build your business with sound practices, and strong customer support, then success will come naturally. Sure, you could take some cheap shots to get ahead faster, but business karma's gunna get you.
I think you should practice with sound business principles. But I don't think that being sound will gain you success naturally. It would if the business world was moral... or was in line with your sound practices. I hate to really say this, but lying and cheating can get you to the top quicker. Being fair may slow you down. Does this mean you should cheat and perform unsoundly??

NO!!!

Old 02-25-2008, 09:23 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ers+institute]

The links in google :
Market Traders Institute are they OK ?

and

Rip-off Report: Market Traders Institute Makes False Claims forex ... (on the second page)
It was in the number 5 position -

I used to work for MTI (sub-contractor), I would never allow those links to stay there if I still worked there - I'd take down those sites first before I allowed slams like those. Someone looking up to find out if they are legit would find slams - Not on my watch - they just have a screwed up team now, I like them but they are not well suited for online corp war........ Those posts were make by pros who knew what they were doing - I still consider the CEO a friend and he runs a legit company with a good product.

Now look at link 9
Sabatoge how it works market traders institute - Webmaster Forum

Ok I knocked "Rip-off Report: Market Traders Institute Makes False Claims forex ..." to the second page (for old times sake.....lol)
Sorry John I used your board - but it was for a legit example in a post!

It's not unethical - it's corp war - learn to play the game or sit on the bench

karma - online you make your own Karma

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-25-2008 at 09:53 AM.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Branding is a very important aspect in our industry.

I do get a lot of negative feedbacks from time to time on server issues, design, layout, blah blah blah.... What's important is how you address and resolve such issue properly in the most professional manner possible. I wouldn't resort to hiring someone else to fix the problem, I'd rather take care of it head on.

Reputation and post client support are two major things that supports your branding IMO.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:45 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Cat I can see how you would be concerned about reputation ....lol

Quote:
Adult Dating - XXX Photos
Hot Singles, Hot Photos, Real Webcams.

Adult Sex Dating & Personals
Hook Up Tonight with Local Singles Who Want Sex. Try for free.

Free Online Dating
View photos, enjoy chat, and more. Register today for free.

Adult Dating Site - Get Laid Today
Search for Sex Partners in Your Area. 1000s of Video Member Profiles.

True Adult Sex Dating
Meet Women Who Want Sex! Get Laid Tonight. Search Here. Try Free.
Must be hard keeping your rep clean

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

great post :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Scott View Post

Great Post john over at the blog

I have the tendency to be the same exact way as you thats for damn sure...

But remember when I was telling you about dreamhost awhile back on the phone about there customer support and etc...

It Sucks the thing is with webhosting it requires high support specially with all the newer people out there that host sites I mean honestly consumer love good support they like someone to hold there hand and walk them through things and that right there is very good for marketing...

Well depending on what it is.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfluffybunny View Post
Cat I can see how you would be concerned about reputation ....lol

Must be hard keeping your rep clean
What's that all about?

Old 02-26-2008, 04:12 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

LOL - Your dns is messed up (or they are hijacking it) -

when I pasted "mixcat.net" in the info bar "mixcat.net" in the address bar (no www or http )

- this site comes up (re-directed) - http://www.mixcat.com/search.php - then it changed the dns cache on my pc - had to restart the DNS service just to get to your site with the full url ....lol

If it's not yours, I'd be screaming at an isp about now -

noticed a change in serps lately - lol

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-26-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Well on the positive side Mr. Cat, I got the page I believe you really own on the first try by going in through your info here at V7N. On the really positive side, fluffy helped get you a visitor... me

Hang in there, oh and thanks to all at V7N for the birthday wishes today (it's tomorrow), that was a really nice surprise (I should get that script *smile!*)

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice."

Old 02-26-2008, 09:12 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

tdgac,

I visited yours - Like the idea but - PAY-per-view seo and marketing and a 16 cd set with work books - I can see it in your future -

I didn't read cats sig - he is the ISP - I wonder if cat is looking in the mirror and yelling at himself right now -

Now that's a case of Brand Management if I ever saw one.

There's an old rule used by smart attorneys, "never ask a question, you don't know the answer to"

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-26-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:19 AM

One of the best branded SEO companies I know of deals with it's "brand management" by refusing to respond to virtually ANY negative comments on the net, at least not publicly. I think they're on to something to be honest.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfluffybunny View Post
LOL - Your dns is messed up (or they are hijacking it) -

when I pasted "mixcat.net" in the info bar "mixcat.net" in the address bar (no www or http )

- this site comes up (re-directed) - http://www.mixcat.com/search.php - then it changed the dns cache on my pc - had to restart the DNS service just to get to your site with the full url ....lol

If it's not yours, I'd be screaming at an isp about now -

noticed a change in serps lately - lol
I don't really know how you came about that result but searching on the same keyword, it yielded a different result - http://www.mixcat.com/search.php?q=mixcat&x=32&y=10 ... But thanks anyways as I will keep an eye on several script issues on our search engine...

You really have a knack at getting out of your way just to make fun or ridicule your co-members (like what you did here http://www.v7n.com/forums/marketing-...per-admin.html) - I don't know whats with you or anything.... Like I said in my post once - you had a different way of expressing yourself.... not all people can relate to what you say or what you consider as funny or absurd...

Just an advice: next time you post... stay on topic... and keep your nose to your own business...

Old 02-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Edit : Could you guys try to do a search also on what the Pinky dude is saying and tell me what results you would find at http://www.mixcat.com for the search phrase "mixcat"... Would be greatly appreciated

Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

LOL, you didn't read what I wrote - I pasted "mixcat.net" into the address bar - it took me to a different site - (no www or http://www.) so you

A. have your dns screwed up (set up wrong) - my bet
B. they are hijacking your domain.

a video is worth 2 words - http://64.62.146.135/1/cat.htm

Uh Oh - google.com "mixcat"

This is not brand management - this is you rubbing salt in.... ouch

Cat shhhhhhhh don't type.....

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-27-2008 at 08:26 PM.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

When handling brand management -

it doesn't matter if it is a real problem or a precieved problem - it should be addressed.

How should a business handle a situation like the one above.

What should be the first reply of an ISP who has a problem or a precieved problem?

Pinkfuffybunny,
Thank you for your concern. We will look into the matter immediately.
Our company strives to be the best provider available anywhere.
Suggestions and concerns are welcome and addressed promply.

here is my personal email address, blabla@blala.com if you have any further concerns or recommendations please don't hesitate to contact me personally....

regards
bal bla

just replying doesn't address the situtation - now you have to really look into it.

thanks for providing an excellent example of what not to do:

Quote:
Just an advice: next time you post... stay on topic... and keep your nose to your own business...

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-28-2008 at 07:30 AM.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

And who made you such an authority on brand management?

We are currently looking at the issue right now so you can now keep busy with your life - make your time more worthwhile and maybe put up your own site you can put it in your siggy, lols.

Or maybe you are not done yet and would like to add more "expert" advice on brand management and be funny at the same time. You are a bit amusing and annoying altogether

Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Yes thanks,

It's what I do for living cat.... I'm damn good at it - and I charge lotz for it.

Don't have time for my own site - to busy teaching, and doing it for others (staff inspections, job task analysis, online marketing)....l

Here's the point Cat - 2 years from now someone looking for an ISP and doing research on them, may come across a post like this.
If the company replied like I did in the example above - no problem - just normal stuff - shows they actually care.

If they read a defensive "who made you an expert" they just move on to the next guy - Brand Management!

can't think of anything funny - sorry - you took the fun out of it .....

Last edited by pinkfluffybunny; 02-28-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Marketing Forum

Closed Thread