Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk > Mobile Technology

Mobile Technology Topics include mobile devices, discussions about service providers, apps, updates and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-04-2017, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Android now the world’s dominant OS, surpassing Windows

That's odd, I don't own a droid.

Quote:
According to StatCounter, the Android operating system has now passed Microsoft Windows as the leading OS globally. The data reflect “total internet usage across desktop, laptop, tablet and mobile combined.”

Android’s global OS share was 37.93 percent compared to 37.91 percent for Windows. However, in North America, Windows had a 39.5 percent share, which was followed by iOS (25.7 percent) and Android (21.2 percent). In Europe, Windows’ share was 51.7 percent and Android’s 23.6 percent.
Continued at: http://marketingland.com/android-now...windows-211024

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2017, 01:33 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

This goes to show how many people now access the internet from their phone rather than a desktop PC. It also shows how important it is to ensure your website works well on mobile devices.
I have 2 Android devices a phone and a tablet, and might buy a setup box running Android to plugin to my TV for watching streaming videos

Old 04-05-2017, 05:34 AM

That is true..but it will change after some time,ios and windows both are working on the changes and developments in their os

Old 04-09-2017, 01:14 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Well windows machines is reduced to do office tasks(MS word,Excel) Most people using Android devices are either browsing ,on social media, Youtube and playing games. Not to mention Androids has the cheapest hardware out there.

Old 04-18-2017, 02:01 PM

Does it mean that Android in the most popular in Asia?

Old 04-28-2017, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

Well, this does not really show Android is dominant rather it shows how much people are using mobile phones as compared to Desktops now a days.

One more point is, Android being cheaper in price and hence has successfully reached to almost all kind of consumers, I mean lowend market, mid range and also high-end. You see, iOS can never do this because it is majorly targeted at high-end users only.

That's purely my opinion and I don't have a third party source to point to prove my statement.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

This is true because in most developing countries people don't own a PC or a laptop.
That is what is inflating the numbers of the android usage.

What is funny to me is that although there are many more androids in terms of os being used the app market from apple sells many more apps than android one.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:25 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

In regards to the opening thread, this was really just an eventuality since as the article stated "Android’s global win over Windows is largely a function of developing markets, specifically in Asia, where smartphones have eclipsed PC ownership." The ratio of phones to desktops in most households today favor mobile devices. In addition android mobile devices are usually cheaper in price compared to Apple's devices so there is the edge towards Android's global usage.

Something else to think about too is that I know many people who give their old phones to their younger kids/siblings despite the phone not having a cellular plan. The kids can't make calls but they can surf the web via Wifi, download apps and in other words make use of the Android OS. This just adds to the Android Usage as well.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Portela View Post
This is true because in most developing countries people don't own a PC or a laptop.
That is what is inflating the numbers of the android usage.

What is funny to me is that although there are many more androids in terms of os being used the app market from apple sells many more apps than android one.
Yes, more than half of internet users (55%) use it on mobile here in India & majority of them (over 90%) do so on an Android device. In fact internet on Android is how most of these guys have experienced the internet for first time. They're part of a mass majority who cannot afford PCs so Android's dominance will continue to grow.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
They're part of a mass majority who cannot afford PCs so Android's dominance will continue to grow.
Not to sound mean - If they can't afford a PC or laptop how do they afford a smart phone? Smart phones can cost the same as a cheap PC or laptop here. At least if you have a laptop you can do to a coffee shop or the library and use their WIFI thus saving money on data fees.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I know people who don't own a laptop or a desktop. They invested in an android phone and do there stuff on the phone and even from places that offer free wifi. I really don't need to use my laptop other then to post on forums and have easy access to my moderating tools.

Phones are getting so much better and I remember when Android was not well known, no one thought they would be this popular right now.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:13 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Not to sound mean - If they can't afford a PC or laptop how do they afford a smart phone? Smart phones can cost the same as a cheap PC or laptop here. At least if you have a laptop you can do to a coffee shop or the library and use their WIFI thus saving money on data fees.
Check this out https://www.flipkart.com/intex-aqua-...BEG58KCVYRUVGY

It's a 30 US$ smartphone. It's the kind of device people in remote rural India use to get their first Internet experience. I doubt there are PCs as cheap as that. There are no cafés or WiFi in these regions. People save up for these phones, use prepaid plans & recharge only when they have the money.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguar View Post
Check this out https://www.flipkart.com/intex-aqua-...BEG58KCVYRUVGY

It's a 30 US$ smartphone. It's the kind of device people in remote rural India use to get their first Internet experience. I doubt there are PCs as cheap as that. There are no cafés or WiFi in these regions. People save up for these phones, use prepaid plans & recharge only when they have the money.
That is pretty cheap in comparison to what it costs in North America!

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
That is pretty cheap in comparison to what it costs in North America!
Companies tend to play the volume game here. Ridiculously low prices, but also ridiculously high volumes.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
This is a question that cell phone manufacturers such as samsung and huawei already tackled by making available fairly inexpensive smart phones in those markets. There are alot of samsung brands that you dont see in U.S or Canadian markets but are available in third world market. The Chinese maker huawei, sells a lot of cheap smart phones in these markets but not much in developed Countries. If you go to the villages of Africa today , you will find quite a bit of people with smart phones. Access to Internet is sold in bundles . Pay as you go. Also there is robust market for second hand cell phones from western Countries. Some of these phones are given as donations but people end up selling them for cheap. Today, an average person in a third world country has access to a smart phone within their means.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Tech Talk > Mobile Technology