Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Getting Started With V7N > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions New members introduce yourselves. Not your website, yourself. :)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-03-2011, 07:45 PM
v7n Mentor

Hello all

Hi all,

I used to write posts and keep a dozen or so blogs, but when I went through some changes in my life and moved across the country, I let it slip. Now it seems like a good time to get back into it, and I still have some of my blogs, and have started new ones. So ... here I am. I know this is one of the best places to join, and I'm glad there is a forum here as well.

I'm lucky I suppose in that I have a wide range of interests, so it's easy for me to have a variety of blogs going, and I enjoy posting on them. I've always liked writing, and when I was a child I wanted to "be a writer" when I grew up. Of course, I never imagined doing it in the way that I do ... the internet didn't exist waaayyy back then, LOL.

But I know SEO is a necessary part of it as well.

Myself, I live on a small farm. That's probably unique around here. I'm developing a small homestead -- I raise rabbits, milk goats, all kinds of poultry (Muscovies are cool! But I hate guinea fowl!). Grow a lot of my own food, used to work in the natural health field, so I suppose that's another reason I'm here now. I live close to Dallas though, so I have "city access" when I get a little stir crazy. My latest outside job was as a teacher at a private school. I'm everything from a typical geek (I love sci-fi, rpgs, and brain puzzles) to a homemaker (I also love being a mom, cooking, sewing, and crafts). So ... in some ways I fit in everywhere, and in some ways I seem to fit in nowhere. Life is fun though. And my favorite thing to do these days is make copies of restaurant recipes and visit thrift stores to find cool old things I can turn into something else.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 07:33 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspired Ink View Post
So ... here I am. I know this is one of the best places to join, and I'm glad there is a forum here as well.
You got that dead right!
Quote:
So ... in some ways I fit in everywhere, and in some ways I seem to fit in nowhere. )
You will fit in here.

Welcome Inspired Ink.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for the welcome, anonymously.

You wouldn't be just a bit prejudiced on the "best place to be" part, would you? But seriously, I know that it is, and you were also recommended to me by friends in the business.

Thanks again! Looking forward to learning!

Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Welcome to the forum.

I'm just waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. lol

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Myself, I live on a small farm. That's probably unique around here. I'm developing a small homestead -- I raise rabbits, milk goats, all kinds of poultry (Muscovies are cool! But I hate guinea fowl!).
Not entirely unique... I'm sorta living in a petting zoo just north of Ft Worth. My neighbor has all the birds n goats, I'm pretty much down to dogs and horses at present. Had 5 horses make a prison break in that mucky weather last night (t-posts are easy to push over in the rain)... So I got to do a roundup at a nearby baseball practice field in the late hours. Glad the dogs sounded the alarm.

Have been planning on doing a garden but haven't gotten there yet. Definitely a good call, kudos for doing it. Fresh beats going to the store.

From what youve described I gather you must be east of Dallas. My mom was an east Tx kid (gladewater and Hawkins, her dad was an EnCo oilfield guy), so I spent a lotta summers learning to hunt and fish out that direction. You out in the Canton vicinity?

Last edited by robjones; 12-04-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Old 12-04-2011, 01:02 PM
v7n Mentor

Coffee sounds good, Snake.

Rob, glad to hear I'm not so strange after all. Actually, I'm between Canton an Dallas ... kinda sorta. At least on the east/west front.

Sorry to hear about the horses breaking out. So far I've not had to deal with any breaks of my own, but it seems like everyone else's animals that get out come to my house. I think most of them don't know what a llama is and get curious. My llama LOVES horses. Mostly I've had horses and sheep show up here.

Guess I'm lucky in a way. Most of my pasture is fenced in concrete-sunken poles for chain link. Shame someone seems to have stolen the chain link fencing before I got here (most of it anyway) but having the poles in place made putting up the fence quicker work.

Any rain at all is good, as far as I can judge. I've only been here a little less than 2 years, and it was hard coming in with that drought. Actually my garden didn't do much this year (was fantastic the first year!) and I think just about all my fruit trees and berry bushes died in the drought and heat this year. I hope we don't have another year like that. I'm just glad my pasture is still growing, though I'm sure it's going to freeze sooner or later.

We're actually not that far apart ... probably 2-3ish hours or so.

Oh, and those pink styrofoam things they have in the store they call tomatoes? They are NOT food, lol! I miss my tomatoes this year!!!

Old 12-04-2011, 02:02 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I'm amazed at the difference between fresh picked tomatoes and the water enhanced store bought stuff. Had a few cherry tomato plants try to take over the world from my backyard a few years back. They were awesome.

Moved here about a year back and the external fencing was primarily the remnant from when the place was built in the late 1800s. Useless. Have fenced the backyard, built a 25x25 dog kennel in the pasture, and fenced an arena, in addition to a separate isolation pen. Horses are currently in the arena, which at least helped avoid having to plow and drag it up front.

Need to do the exterior, it'd save me a bundle on both hay and mowing, but haven't gotten there yet. Kinda held off cause there was a chance we might be headed further west. Seems fencing is a full time job in itself. Those posts in concrete woulda been helpful.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:23 PM
v7n Mentor

Yeah I still have another area larger than my pasture that needs to be fenced in. If I had it done, it would save me a fortune on hay too, though I need to familiarize myself with the local weeds in case there's something out there that might be toxic. Lost a baby llama from eating just a few leaves off a native tree.

I don't mow mine, but if I did it would probably cut down on the small predators making their way in and picking off the chickens and other poultry. At least they usually get the roosters. My first batch of 25 or so chicks turned out to be almost 20 roosters.

I can understand holding off, with all that work and expense, you want to make sure you're going to be using it. I can't afford to move again, so I guess I'm stuck here, lol. At least that's what I tell myself to motivate me to keep working on the place. And it's not so bad ... I really do like it here. Even if the weather is a bit more extreme than most of what I'm used to.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Hey! Welcome aboard the v7 express. Another Texan.

I have grown tomatoes for a many years. This was the worst year ever and we did not even have a real drought. My cherry in the pot on the deck gave me snacks until about the first of November but the slicers in the yard were pitiful.

I think I may try a different seed stock for next year. Of course it is possible that the grower did something stupid like saving seed from a hybrid plant. I may even start my own like I used to do.

Old 12-04-2011, 02:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Thanks for the welcome, Scriptman.

I got more tomatoes than I could put up in 2010, but in 2011 I barely got any slicers. So far it seems we're getting a lot more rain but who knows what next summer will bring. I have to have SOME tomatoes, so I think I'm going to diversify my efforts next year and hope something pans out. I have some heritage seeds passed on by a friend, and I'll try hybrids too. I even considered some stock that was advertised as developed for dry gardening. The first year, I piped all the used pool-water for the waterfowl onto the tomatoes, and I should have done that again. It's definitely in the plans for next year if we don't have water restrictions again.

Old 12-04-2011, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

I'm getting hungry just reading this thread.

Actually i'm just killing time waiting for the water to boil. (making dinner)

A little farm down the road from me sells jersey tomatoes. They are so good but my sister in law grows her own. We have a recipe thread somewhere in the lobby section if you got any southern recipes to share.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

When do they plants go into the ground in Texas? Maters don't really like a lot of nitrogen once they start blooming. They love consistent watering but not wet feet or leaves. Heirlooms are fine if you can rotate your space. Only plants that are VFNT resistant can be grown in the same area year after year.

We probably should start a mater thread.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:10 PM
v7n Mentor

LOL, a mater thread sounds good! I've only been here two springs so far, so I'm not the best one to ask. It snowed late in 2010 (March 21) and I ended up putting mine in late, I think ... around May. They still did great. This year I tried earlier, but everything flopped when I wasn't allowed to water anymore. (Except the peppers ... I found out I can empty a goat's nighttime water bucket over a couple of wilted pepper plants and they were fine.) The first year's crop might have gotten too much nitrogen from the waterfowl water, not sure, but they were fine. Soil drained fast and I pumped it to the base so I kept the leaves dry. I have to treat with BT for tobacco worms, so I don't like the water from above anyway. The problem with the heirlooms this year was getting them in new spaces and far enough apart to keep them pure. I think I'll keep my hybrids in the same place though.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:13 PM
v7n Mentor

I'll have to look for that recipe thread, Snake. I'm not sure I've ever tried Jersey tomatoes. I don't usually write my recipes down, or when I do, it's more like "add a little bit of this and a little more of that, and keep mixing until it looks right". Seriously ... I can actually do better than that, but the recipes I write for myself are more like guidelines. I'd have to pay closer attention to amounts if I wanted to be sure someone could follow it. I go by what seems right a lot. But when I'm making something new, I do appreciate a good recipe to follow, and then I proceed to change it all up the second time I make it, LOL.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Nice to have you here II! With horses, dogs, cats, turkeys, and (oh no!) guinea fowl, we have a similar small farm thing going on too. Garden out back too. The difference between fresh and store-bought is not just edible but incredible.

I grew these this year:

And turned them into:

Attached Thumbnails
Hello all-225732_1717660988076_1434780627_31402378_6142790_n.jpg   Hello all-228527_1719592796370_1434780627_31405095_3510896_n.jpg  

Old 12-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Bread and butter or Dill? Can't tell from the picture.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

The spears are dill and the slices are bread and butter. That was the first batch...the second batch was better (got my vinegar amounts down lol).

Old 12-05-2011, 01:45 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Hey muddy, Beth said to tell you she's impressed. Looks good.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Latest Blog:
None

Thanks Beth! They did turn out to be mighty tasty. A jar of homegrown pickles makes for an awesome gift too! A lot more meaningful than most things bought in a store. Friends and extended family of course...my girls weren't too pleased when I presented each of them with a jar.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Some people are just weird about perfectly good practical gifts. Beth has yet to thank me for the mop she got on Valentines Day.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > The Webmaster Forums > Getting Started With V7N > New Member Introductions